Texas Fishing Forum

Question

Posted By: SlowDown

Question - 08/21/17 11:13 PM

On average, in Central Texas, which weekend fisherman will catch the most fish, a bass fisherman or a cat fisherman?
Posted By: Siberman

Re: Question - 08/21/17 11:40 PM

Too many variables to answer .

1) How dedicated is the fisherman ?
2) What's the bite like ?

I can catch dinks all day long but I only count the eaters . My vote is for cats .

Then again , I'm from God's country ( NE Texas ) so I don't have a dog in this fight . wink

Re: Question - 08/22/17 12:49 AM

Siberman, thanks for the reply. In my case, I have always been, and still am, very dedicated, although stamina and energy are not what they once were due to age.

I owned a boat most of my adult life, but sold my last boat about two years ago. At the small lake where I currently fish with my long-time fishing pal in his bass boat, bass fishing is fair from fall through winter, but awful in summer. 0ne or two slot fish per trip is normal for each of us.

I'm so tired of casting four hours to catch one or two bass, that I am considering buying another boat, a john boat, so I can fish on Lake Travis one morning a week while continuing to fish with him one morning each week. He has never liked Lake Travis, and refuses to fish it, but it is my favorite lake in the area. I'm also wondering if I would do better with numbers if I targeted catfish on Travis instead of bass. I have always preferred numbers over size. Catching a fair number of eating size catfish would make me happy any day of the week.

I realize there is no way to know how well I might do fishing Travis for catfish without actually trying, but I am just wondering if i might do better on numbers than I would chasing bass. Any thoughts would be welcomed.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Question - 08/22/17 07:00 PM

I quit water golfing (bass fishing) years ago. I am a seasonal fisherman, have been for years, and have patterns on various species that kick off right after deer season ends, and play out one or another through the year until deer season cranks back up again.

I chase my catfish (trophy blues) beginning in January until about mid-may.

Bass fishing is just not in me anymore for the same reasons as stated above. Too much work and expense vs reward. To each their own though.
Posted By: Tex

Re: Question - 08/22/17 09:47 PM

I used to have a running weekend bet with a friend of mine from Louisiana. He was a bass fisherman and I am a cat man. The bet was a friendly who buys lunch based on the weight of his 5 best fish VS my single largest fish.

He never won a bet.

Catfish all the way.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Question - 08/22/17 11:09 PM

Yep, one good flathead will outweigh the best sack of 5 ditch pickles ever caught.
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Question - 08/23/17 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake
Yep, one good flathead will outweigh the best sack of 5 ditch pickles ever caught.

Hahahaha roflmao woot banana any day

Re: Question - 08/23/17 02:04 AM

Enjoyed those post guys. My bud and I are gonna fish tomorrow morning. He will be pounding the barren bank for bass and I will do my best to catch catfish from the back seat.
Posted By: Catfish Lynn

Re: Question - 08/23/17 02:50 AM

Slowdown, if you are shooting for Blues or Yellows, you might want to use my Catfish Calendar to assist in your quest. Look for the thread on p.1 or 2 in the Catfish section titled "Lynn's Catfish Calendar".

Bass Fishermen that also like to fish for YellowCats, now use it. In fact, one told me they don't even try for Yellows at random anymore. Just on the days that my Calendar pinpoints them, as they finally decided to quit wasting time.
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Question - 08/23/17 03:21 AM

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4938394/Re:_River_Cat_Monster_Quest_(W#Post4938394

I use it

Re: Question - 08/23/17 04:37 AM

Wow! That takes me back to when I had just gotten on TFF around the end of May, or first of June, 2010.

<http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4938394/>

Interesting nostalgia note is that when I went to share my tale of "Big Un" (a 60+ Op I caught in the Trinity River), of which I stayed on top of by using the Catfish Calendar from August 1983 thru July 1985 when I finally landed her, Jim (the Sports Editor at The Eagle newspaper here) never mentioned my calendar in his article, as he focused on my fishing logs. I never realized he never touched any on it, until a few years back when I re-read the article by Jim. I caught "Big Un" several times in that 2 years, but never got to see what it was, as it would get off again & again. But my plan of attack was using the YC days again & again, until finally success. Interestingly, I never had much luck with it on BC (BlueCat) days. My almost 4 year old daughter Kristina was camping & fishing with me that weekend, and in the boat, as I brought it in, in one swoop of the dipnet. Sometimes, Yellows will run a figure "8" pattern. I first observed this on a smaller Yellow in the Brazos River in 1979. "Big Un" was doing just that. So as I was watching, I finally timed it. I swooped the net towards it as it came before it realized what was going on. With momentum, I swung around & laid it down right in the boat. Amazing what adrenaline can do for you. I did not even strain myself for even a second. Then I held the dipnet right over it to prevent flouncing out. There would be no "Big Un", had it not been for the Catfish Calendar.

Re: Question - 08/23/17 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Catfish Lynn
Slowdown, if you are shooting for Blues or Yellows, you might want to use my Catfish Calendar to assist in your quest. Look for the thread on p.1 or 2 in the Catfish section titled "Lynn's Catfish Calendar".

Bass Fishermen that also like to fish for YellowCats, now use it. In fact, one told me they don't even try for Yellows at random anymore. Just on the days that my Calendar pinpoints them, as they finally decided to quit wasting time.

Thanks Lynn. I'm only interested in catching smaller fish. I never have had the desire to fish for bigger fish. To each his own, but it's just not my thing.
Posted By: Buff2

Re: Question - 08/23/17 06:57 PM

Take a 5 gallon bucket of range cubes with you..... You will catch cat fish grin

Re: Question - 08/24/17 04:21 AM

The Catfish Calendar does not focus upon big or little Blues or Yellows, as to size. It cues in on what I now refer to as a "roam-feed circuit switch". In my estimation, about 66 to 75% follow this pattern.

Re: Question - 08/24/17 12:58 PM

The Catfish Calendar does not focus upon big or little Blues or Yellows, as to size. It cues in on what I now refer to as a "roam-feed circuit switch". In my estimation, about 66 to 75% follow this pattern.

My bad thinking just big fish Lynn. Will check it out.

Re: Question - 08/24/17 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Buff2
Take a 5 gallon bucket of range cubes with you..... You will catch cat fish grin

I read about doing that a few years ago, but never got around to it. Thanks for reminding me. I'll find a friend with a dock where I can set up or some place where I can bank fish.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Question - 08/25/17 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: SlowDown

My bad thinking just big fish Lynn. Will check it out.

Lynn does a LOT of research and adjust the info as he see's the need to update.
Thank you for what you do Lynn-

Re: Question - 08/25/17 03:45 AM

My apologies, as I might have accidently made it look like the Calendar was just for catching big ones. It targets mainly Yellows, Blues, and Gator Gars.

The past few years, I have introduced a sideline item (PYC days aka Lynn's Personal YellowCat Days), which utilizes the basic underlying YellowCat pattern (that is closest to 7 off, 2 on, 7 off, 2 on, 7 off, 3 on, then repeat). In the 2017 printed calendar I finally incorporated it into the days that correspond. It is actually separate from the basic calendar (which utilizes 4 Key "sigs"- YC, BC, BFT, and ZIP). These are listed in the KEY, plus some Tips are listed as well. This way people do not have to get the PYC days on a separate print-out. The KEY Tips (as of the 2017 printed edition) have an additional 4 tips since the first 2009 printed calendar (it only had 5).

On the TFF however, currently only the months with the 4 basic sigs are shared each month. There is a listing for the 4 phases of the Moon, as well as a listing for the PYC days. They are posted in a simple text manner.

"steveiam", Appreciate the kind words. Always glad to assist others. One of the most important things, is that others using the Calendar, when they share (give feedback), it helps me to enhance the calendar, which in turn, helps everyone using it. So in a sense, it is Team Research.

Sometimes, it is most amazing, to realize that a Husband may say that their Wife also uses (or goes by) the calendar (or it may be the other way around). Or that a family lives by it. Or perhaps family (and multi-family) gatherings use it during their fishing & camping trips. And friends use it when they have their fishing trips together. Or somebody thought it was a bunch of bull, only to find they are now realizing that somehow unbelievable as it sounded, it seems to actually work. Or one guy using it, starts getting nicknames from his neighbors, due to the fact that he is bringing in recognizable & plentiful catches. Like I say, it is mind-boggling.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum