Texas Fishing Forum

Pontoon or Bass Boat

Posted By: Sirjet

Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/17/17 07:15 PM

If you are like me and Like to Crappie and Catfish. Which type of boat would you prefer?
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/17/17 07:17 PM

I would think Pontoon for sure.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/17/17 08:02 PM

For a fishing rig, I'll never own anything but a center console again. Also, I'll never own another fishing boat with carpet in it again either.

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/17/17 08:22 PM

I was thinking about that exact thing. A center console is in the running also.
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/17/17 08:32 PM

Sirjet, if a CC is already in the running, forget the other 2.

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/17/17 08:44 PM

I am a big fan of CC. The only thing holding me to the Pontoon is. I have a fair amount of friends that are in Wheelchairs.
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/17/17 09:06 PM

Well that kinda takes you back to the room of a toon. I had a tri-toon for several years, it fished just fine.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/17/17 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)
Well that kinda takes you back to the room of a toon. I had a tri-toon for several years, it fished just fine.

This Sirjet^^^^^^
I really like the room the toon gives me.
Those friends will really appreciate you taking them fishing.
Posted By: rdmac

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/17/17 09:50 PM

Center Console boats are great, but not wheelchair friendly. Pontoon boats have a lot of room and are pretty nice to fish out of.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/17/17 11:27 PM

Getting into shallow narrow places where eater kitties and crappie like to spawn----advantage bass boat and jon boat
Comfort and shade-------advantage Pontoon
Most fishable boat for all catfish locations-------advantage Center Console.
CC or bass boat fits multi species better in southern waters but a CC is the better all around fishing machine.
No dedicated catfish boat should ever have carpet.
JMO, no warranty implied
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/18/17 04:41 PM

With wheelchairs in mind I'm guessing a pontoon boat is the only option.
Posted By: Poppa P

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/18/17 09:10 PM

I agree with all the comments about the wheel chair this is what we did for my son. It works great

Holler back if you have any questions

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/18/17 09:13 PM

That is Awesome Poppa P.
Posted By: rdmac

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/18/17 10:56 PM

Man that's awesome!
Posted By: Poppa P

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/19/17 02:19 AM

Thanks Yall just trying to help out as I can

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/21/17 04:00 PM

I want to Thank Each of you for your response. I have two months before i want to pull the trigger. The suggestion of testing each will be a good idea. I have owned A inboard/outboard before but it was used and more problems than fun. I hoping the next boat will be a New boat and what I want.
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/21/17 06:50 PM

Get both!

Eric
Posted By: Jack Daniels

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/23/17 06:34 PM

We have both and use the pontoon nearly all the time. About the only time I use the bass boat is by myself, and that's not often.

We have a 24 ft Tracker fishing barge. Live wells front and back and it provides lots of room and options for 4-6 fishing people. We have a 12 volt trolling motor which pulls it fairly well. Two anchors so we can get orientated for more fishing room.

The bass boat is a 18ft Nitro which I'm getting ready to sell. And buy what? A center console.

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/23/17 09:22 PM

I got to thinking about my house location (I have a Alley in the back of my house). Also going from Lake to lake. versatility. I am leaning towards a Center Console. I do a good amount of catfishing so a no carpet layout would be optimal. So many options. LOL. I still have to get this past the boss. Maybe if one or two of you guys could talk my fiance into going shipping while we go fishing. I could get exactly what i want. LOL
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/23/17 09:50 PM

I currently have a fish/ski combo. Bought new 12 years ago when kids were young. The fish to ski ratio is about 99% to 1. My future rig will be a CC no carpet. With a Salt water capable motor... just in case
Posted By: Captain Yakker

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/24/17 04:03 PM

What about deck boats? Although if I buy another boat, it will be a center console. I have the kayak for getting to the skinny water.

I always thought the deck boats were a good compromise between room for many passengers without the poor handling of the pontoon boats. But admittedly, I never really see any deck boats on the lake.

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 08/25/17 02:51 PM

The Center Console of quality are not very cheap.
Posted By: Cjohle

Re: Pontoon or Bass Boat - 09/07/17 02:44 PM

I have an 18' Sun Tracker Bass Buggy and I love it - its the little brother to the boat Jack Daniels talks about above. Two live wells, two fishing chairs up front and one in the back. Mine does have an upgraded 60 hp motor from the stock 40 hp and I would suggest getting the largest motor allowed on the boat. For folks with a disability I would highly suggest it.

To summarize (I will go into details below if you are interested), I love mine. The cons below seem to outweigh the pros, but the only thing I personally have a hard time with is wind - which can be overcome. Otherwise, its perfect for me and the family.

Here are some details from my experience:

Price was right - I got the next to smallest model because I didn't feel I needed more... MUCH cheaper than a center console so if your budget is in play here its def. something to consider.

I bought a pontoon because I have two little girls (and a boy on the way) and it is a much safer boat for little ones. It allows me to take all of them fishing when I can talk them into it and they have plenty of room to play with their stinkin' Barbies. It's very comfortable for the 4 of us with plenty of room to spare. I actually take a small table that we sit around and have lunch on...

When night fishing, I can anchor up, set the bells on the poles, and if I get tired I can take a snooze on the couch (as long as its not too windy - see below).

I take a Big Buddy heater with me in the winter (please don't bash me on the safety issues - some folks use grills on their 'toons).

I've never had an issue getting into shallow spots. I have puckered up a few times, but it did just fine.

Someone mentioned portability and convenience. I trailer it all over the place with no issues. They are, however, not something you can store in your garage . . .

No need to drill anything for rod holders. Mine work just fine attached to the railing.

Very, very stable in rough water.

Potential Cons:
wind, wind, and wind

With too much wind, boat control is very difficult. They are tough to trailer in the wind until you get the hang of it. Anchoring in any wind over 10mph is very difficult without large anchors - I would suggest two large box anchors unless you're going to be anchoring on rock surfaces. I made a couple of grappling hook type anchors that work better than anything else I've used, but I've also lost a couple on rocky surfaces. HOWEVER, that may come with experience as I don't have a whole lot of experience with anchoring. I've been fishing deep, canyon walled lakes which adds to the difficulty.

I put a MinnKota Terrova with 55 lb thrust and iPilot (iPilot is the best thing since sliced bread btw). It gets the job done just fine for me, but some might suggest a 24v 75 or 80lb thrust.

Storing the boat is not a problem in my case, but it might be for some. You definitely can't stick it in a garage.

On my particular model, the live wells will not hold your catches if you are catfishing . . . Fine for bass or crappy and bait. I've always just thrown mine in the cooler anyway.

Hope this helps and good luck with your purchase! There isn't much that rivals being in your own boat during sunrise or sunset. The feeling of freedom is almost overwhelming to me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum