Re: New Boat!!! - 07/14/17 09:31 PM

Posted By: Caribou

Re: New Boat!!! - 07/14/17 09:32 PM

Posted By: KQT

Re: New Boat!!! - 07/14/17 09:46 PM

Keep updating the progress

Re: New Boat!!! - 07/14/17 09:52 PM

I will. I won't have an update for at least a month more than likely. It's sitting out at our family farm with to 20 year old flat tires surrounded by trees that have grown up over the years. Im going to have to cut down several small trees just to get it out. Then figure out how to get new tires put on it while leaving it out there. All before I can even get it somewhere to start getting the [censored] out of it.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: New Boat!!! - 07/14/17 11:02 PM

Good luck! Getting it cleaned up will make it look a lot better.
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: New Boat!!! - 07/14/17 11:32 PM

Before you go to all that work. Check and make sure transom isn't rotten

Re: New Boat!!! - 07/14/17 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish
Before you go to all that work. Check and make sure transom isn't rotten

Checked it today. Seems solid as a rock, but will get a much better look once we get it out of the jungle.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: New Boat!!! - 07/15/17 01:04 AM

For tires, go to your nearest Discount Tire and talk to them about a couple of used tires that can get you to home or wherever you are going to work on it. They gave me an old tire to get me home one time.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: New Boat!!! - 07/15/17 01:19 AM

No offense Amigo but by the time you buy tires, batteries, engine parts, hydrolic parts, re-wiring, fluids, accessories, etc etc etc etc etc you will have dropped a good chunk of coin. I would buy an old boat that's lake ready and spend the next 18 months fishing instead of working on that money pit. Just sayin 2cents
Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: New Boat!!! - 07/15/17 01:50 AM

Looks like a couple of my earliest boats. As I increased the dollar value of my boats through the years I found most of my fondest memories remained with the ghost of those past rigs. Enjoy the journey! Best of luck with the build!

Re: New Boat!!! - 07/15/17 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: El Gato Azul
No offense Amigo but by the time you buy tires, batteries, engine parts, hydrolic parts, re-wiring, fluids, accessories, etc etc etc etc etc you will have dropped a good chunk of coin. I would buy an old boat that's lake ready and spend the next 18 months fishing instead of working on that money pit. Just sayin 2cents

Difference is, I can spend $100-200 a month over the next 12 or 18 months and end up with a boat that is set up exactly like I want, and that I know how to work on. I can't afford to go spend $2500 on a boat today. It appears that I'll have the motor running for a few hundred dollars. Wiring will be easy to redo because I'm ripping out the entire interior anyways. At that point, I can go fish. Then I can continue to work on it after that point.

I don't disagree that it will cost me just as much as buying a boat, but the ability to spread out the cost will be nice. And it will be my baby.
Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: New Boat!!! - 07/15/17 12:12 PM

I'm assuming you have a clear title to this rig? If so, I think I'd first start at TPW to see what registration will cost. I left an old pontoon bowfishing boat sit unregistered for 3 years. They wanted me to pay all three years to re-register even though the rig hadn't moved. I took the motor and controls off and put on a flatbottom. The pontoon boat is still yard art!
Posted By: Sumfish

Re: New Boat!!! - 07/15/17 08:36 PM

Whatever you do don't try to pull start that engine, I tried to pull start a 75 HP Evinrude on an old 59' model Lonestar I was redoing when the starter failed and nearly yanked my arm off from the recoil.

Originally Posted By: Littlefeather
I'm assuming you have a clear title to this rig? If so, I think I'd first start at TPW to see what registration will cost. I left an old pontoon bowfishing boat sit unregistered for 3 years. They wanted me to pay all three years to re-register even though the rig hadn't moved. I took the motor and controls off and put on a flatbottom. The pontoon boat is still yard art!

@Littlefeather you could use those pontoons for outriggers on the old flatbottom, heck I bet you could put a lift that would pull a whale onboard. Wonder why the registration was retroactive

Re: New Boat!!! - 07/15/17 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Littlefeather

I wonder if it was because it was always yours. They'll do that on cars too,unless the title changes hands I believe.
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: New Boat!!! - 07/16/17 06:22 PM

Good luck Aaron.

Re: New Boat!!! - 07/16/17 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER
Good luck Aaron.

Thanks bob. We'll see if I can make a boat out of her.
Posted By: gander

Re: New Boat!!! - 07/16/17 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Caribou
Originally Posted By: El Gato Azul

Difference is, I can spend $100-200 a month over the next 12 or 18 months and end up with a boat that is set up exactly like I want, and that I know how to work on. I can't afford to go spend $2500 on a boat today. It appears that I'll have the motor running for a few hundred dollars. Wiring will be easy to redo because I'm ripping out the entire interior anyways. At that point, I can go fish. Then I can continue to work on it after that point.

I don't disagree that it will cost me just as much as buying a boat, but the ability to spread out the cost will be nice. And it will be my baby.
Good point... thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum