Texas Fishing Forum

How to get the Bigguns?

Posted By: smove

How to get the Bigguns? - 07/14/17 02:08 PM

I have a question. I have a place that I've been baiting for catfish (10-12 foot deep) and they are coming in. The only problem is, they are all small (in the 10-12 inch range). How do you attract the bigger fish in? I'm bank fishing so I'm limited to depth. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy catching them and my girls also get a thrill and the 12-13 incher are perfect to fry whole. Just wondering would could I do better to bring in bigger fish? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: How to get the Bigguns? - 07/14/17 02:20 PM

unfortunately that's typically always going to happen when you bait a spot. Even moving out to deeper water will result in the same thing, just have to catch a bunch and weed out the small guys
Posted By: Blues

Re: How to get the Bigguns? - 07/14/17 03:26 PM

Baiting draws mostly channels..... which usually don't get very big. An 8 to 10lb channel is reaching "trophy size". Most lakes aren't loaded with big channel cat and catching big ones don't happen very often.

If you're dead set on big fish you might consider targeting a different species like blues with cut shad(better in the winter) or flathead on live perch.
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: How to get the Bigguns? - 07/14/17 03:45 PM

Fish creeks. My creek cats average 3 pounds.

Eric
Posted By: Cat finder

Re: How to get the Bigguns? - 07/14/17 05:35 PM

Use bait bigger then the of mouths of the small ones your catching and nothing they can nibble away at.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum