Texas Fishing Forum

How to for you experts

Posted By: Squirrely Dan

How to for you experts - 07/13/17 03:43 AM

I've caught many over the years from banks and while fishing for other fishin boat. Since nothing going on bass season wise for me I thought I might try catching some cats from my boat. When I was a kid on Fork we made feed bags we put out around the lake and caught a lot. Is that the best way? I'd prefer not mess with all that plus the lake I fish is a rocky lake without and standing structure really. Question is am I best anchoring up in deep hole, creek channels, bridge or just drift thru schools of shad are that have sandbass and hybrid working on them? Any advice where to start and best bait to use for me? I did a trip last fall with MR whiskers and since then it's been in the back of my mind to give it a try myself on my local lake. Thanks
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: How to for you experts - 07/13/17 02:44 PM

Those will all work, pick your strategy and go for it. Personally I use fresh cut shad and punch bait, blues will rarely take anything but fish or chicken though so only channels on punch. Cats will almost always be under a feeding school of sand bass, some people catch some good flatheads that way too. Some depends on strategy, you're not really going to drift with punch bait.... Take a stab at drifting over humps or up/down ledges, just use a 3 way rig with a bobber so you don't get snagged all the time. Might pick up some hybrids too drifting humps if you're using shad. Lot of fish are 6-10 feet right now in N Texas.

Eric
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum