Texas Fishing Forum

How deep is too deep for channels?

Posted By: Illnoize

How deep is too deep for channels? - 07/10/17 09:04 PM

I've been fishing a pond that is clear and very deep in spots. Up to 50 feet at least. I have been having trouble catching them in such clear water fishing in 10 feet of water. Should I try fishing in the very deep water on the bottom? Or should I try fishing my baits suspended? thanks
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: How deep is too deep for channels? - 07/10/17 09:37 PM

Cats tolerate temperature different than most other fish. "How deep" isn't as important. Look for sharp depth changes (even if it's 5ft down to 8ft), logs, weed lines, if it's a dammed creek where the channel is, changes in bottom texture, etc....just like you would for bass. I've caught 7-8 pound channels in less than 18 inches of water in the summer during the day. Cats are predators so relate to all those things so they can ambush baitfish. They are either resting in a dark concealed place (in grass, under logs, etc) or they are moving around looking for opportunities to feed. Either put your bait in front of them where they are resting or in an area they will be hunting.

Location is more important than bait but I ALWAYS use some punch bait and some cut bait and see what they go after more. Usually mixed but sometimes catch 8 on punch and 1 on cut or the other way around, good to have a mix.

Eric
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: How deep is too deep for channels? - 07/11/17 12:55 PM

Try a small live perch.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: How deep is too deep for channels? - 07/11/17 06:38 PM

Pond cats are tricky regardless of how deep or shallow the water is, live bait is key, shiners, bluegill, shad (if present) and goldfish are all good choices.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: How deep is too deep for channels? - 07/11/17 06:47 PM

I have caught more pond cats at night stretching a trotline across and hanging the bait about a foot under the top of the water. Shiners and yeller grasshoppers. Pond cats will also feed around the edges real shallow at night. They will grab frogs and crawdads or anything else that moves right up to the water's edge just like a bass does. Think like a fish. What would you do if'n you was hongry and wanted a quick easy meal?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum