Texas Fishing Forum

Soda bottle floats

Posted By: uncle_bagster

Soda bottle floats - 06/21/17 11:14 PM

I sometimes see rod and reel fishermen using 2-liter coke bottles for bobbers. What's the deal on this?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Soda bottle floats - 06/21/17 11:20 PM

Guessing big Bluegill and heavy weight. Catfishing. Need flotation.
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Soda bottle floats - 06/22/17 02:21 AM

Might be using them to have the wind blow their bait to deeper water?
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Soda bottle floats - 06/22/17 02:44 AM

they cant afford to buy regular floats,,
Posted By: Sirjet

Re: Soda bottle floats - 06/22/17 05:40 PM

They can afford it. But then they would have to buy less beer. LOL
Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: Soda bottle floats - 06/22/17 06:05 PM

I don't know for sure. I know when I was a kid in the 70's land based shark fishing caught on big around Port Aransas. Guys would wrap their leaders around foam, plastic bottles, etc... they would sit on the jetties and let the wind blow the float out into the channel. Once it was where they wanted they would give a yank and the rig was deployed. Of course the float kept going and became beach debris at some later point. In latter years we'd improvised a sail line sail and outrigger clips to deploy baits. Then reel in the sail line. No trash! I never thought of it for land based catfishing. flag
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Soda bottle floats - 06/22/17 06:33 PM

Well we use them for visibility taking big baits up into the gates at the dam...... cause it has a boundary line ...you can only get your boat so close to the dam ... i make them for me and my friends here is one out of a 3 liter

bet ya didnt think anyone used them on the forum breakdance

Re: Soda bottle floats - 06/22/17 07:54 PM

Quote:
cause it has a boundary line ...you can only get your boat so close to the dam ...

Ha! Friggin genius! Blingy reels and pretty floats! Never know what you'll see here. I went to 12' surf rods and Newell casting reels to close that distance. Of course, wind direction -vs- water movement direction could factor in when using those. Thanks for reminding me of old tricks. Does your choice of float color draw in those funny boats that get real close? Lol! Thanks!
Posted By: KQT

Re: Soda bottle floats - 06/22/17 11:04 PM

Littlefeather those rigs are called lemon rigs because people used those lemon shaped lemon juice bottles

Re: Soda bottle floats - 06/22/17 11:42 PM

I thought lemon rigs had a 3-way swivel that split the distance between bait and float. I watched lemon riggers on the rocks in Port A for most of my life. Seen some fat trout take that set-up! Sams rig looks "special". Either way it's a great idea! Gives me something new to ponder.

Re: Soda bottle floats - 06/23/17 01:51 PM

We have big game 9000 abu's loaded with 65lb braid..... the braid goes thru the cork and attatched to a mono drop line 100lb test with 3 hooks on it usually with 8 to 12 0z sinker on it....we let the line down slowly right beside the boat until it hits bottom. Then we reel it up 3 cranks. Then we have thinly cut strips of latex gloves and i use that piece as a bobber stopper. i tie it on the line with a half-hitch then pull it hard and then you have a giant slip cork..and if the water or current is not right then i make it right with my giant remote control boat slinger that takes it up in there and drops it off peep

Re: Soda bottle floats - 06/23/17 05:32 PM

Good stuff Sam! Thanks for the info/ideas! Appreciate that! cheers

Re: Soda bottle floats - 08/01/17 01:27 PM

came up with a new float and had quick results
Nothing like fishing at the dam
We had 4 double hook ups all eaters biggest was 8lbs....
Posted By: RWCAT

Re: Soda bottle floats - 08/01/17 01:41 PM

Pretty cool idea.
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: Soda bottle floats - 08/01/17 04:44 PM

Just use the floats that come of those big deep sea nets.
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: Soda bottle floats - 08/01/17 04:44 PM

Instead of back bouncing. It's Back Bobbin'.
Posted By: bigcheessee

Re: Soda bottle floats - 08/03/17 10:53 PM

Nice!

Re: Soda bottle floats - 08/07/17 05:42 PM

we had another trip saturday using big azz corks roflmao
heres a double whammy
we caught a few
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum