Texas Fishing Forum

Alaskan Catfishing

Posted By: oakpointaggie

Alaskan Catfishing - 06/21/17 03:25 AM

We just had the opportunity to go fishing in Alaska. Halibut fishing is so much like catfishing I wanted to post some pics. Some cool things is there leader is a rope and there boat ramp is a bulldozer. Super fun. We brought back about 100 lbs of halibut fillets and king salmon. Hope you all get the chance someday to go and hopefully I'll be there again someday.

Posted By: opus

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/21/17 04:03 AM

Like reelin up a car hood. Is that deep creek launch?

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/21/17 04:22 AM

Pretty close. Just down the road. I think my guides office was in deep creek. Your right about the car hood. They where 235 feet deep which is crazy. I thought how they pulled up there anchors with an orange buoy is really interesting. I'm guessing there is not many snags down there.
Posted By: BMART

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/21/17 12:03 PM

Cut sardines for bait?
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/21/17 12:16 PM

Looks like a hell of a good time!! Headed to Estes Park Colorado in the morning with the family!
Posted By: ssfireman

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/21/17 01:27 PM

Yep it is a blast will be up there in about a month. BMART you use sardines, pollock, salmon, octopus for bait . you can also use jigs. it is very fun. nice fish.
Posted By: Timberking

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/21/17 01:56 PM

I like the skidder towing the boat.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/21/17 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: oakpointaggie
Pretty close. Just down the road. I think my guides office was in deep creek. Your right about the car hood. They where 235 feet deep which is crazy. I thought how they pulled up there anchors with an orange buoy is really interesting. I'm guessing there is not many snags down there.

Come up to Ketchikan with me next year around late August/early September. I do deep dropping for sablefish up there at 1,200+ feet.

Have been learning to target halibut in shallower water when possible, say 120 to 180 feet, but yeah, mid 200's is typical up there. At least in SE Alaska you can hit bottom with a 12 ounce jig rather than using those monster weights you had.

*edit* Yeah, there's snags up there. Ideally, the anchor buoy pulls your anchor almost straight up off the bottom while the boat is pulling forward. But sometimes, the current has other ideas.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/21/17 02:31 PM

awesome man! is halibut good eating?
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/21/17 02:33 PM

Always wanted to catch me some Halibut. Would be like catching a 200lb drum in swift flowing current I would imagine.

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/21/17 02:35 PM

Hey I'll be by in the morning to pick up your boat haha

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/21/17 02:51 PM

Halibut is great eating. White flaky meat. Even if it's 2" thick it's still great fried, baked etc. We caught a flounder and the guide wanted to throw it back but I was like hang on! We eat those in TX haha
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/21/17 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: oakpointaggie
We caught a flounder and the guide wanted to throw it back but I was like hang on!

Flounder (arrowtooth flounder) up in Alaska are kinda mushy and bland. I've really tried to salvage fillets off some of the bigger ones. The results just weren't worth it to me.
Posted By: Outfitter Nomore

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/21/17 03:08 PM

My First Halibut, 50lb. Test Penn 209 1 1/2 hrs, 60ft water Taku Harbor , Alaska 257lbs and yes I'am 6'4".

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/21/17 03:15 PM

That is an awesome Halibut! I see you guys had a rope around the tail of that one. Did they tie it to the boat or haul it into the boat?

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/21/17 03:17 PM

I may find that out to about the flounder. We did pass on the sand sharks because they said the meat was like jelly. All this talk about fish makes me want to go catch some summer time blue cats!
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/21/17 03:49 PM

Did the same thing in 09! 3 day trip and 100lbs of fillets a person! Try using your salmon guts, makes the best halibut bait! Have a financial goal that once I hit that I will go every year.

Eric
Posted By: Outfitter Nomore

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/21/17 03:56 PM

Halibut was caught out of a 25ft Bayliner. Tried to tie it off but couldn't get the boat to plane had to haul her in and tie her head to tail. Shot through the head 3 times and harpooned. Have the whole fight on Video. 3 70 quart coolers full of meat. Went every year from 1985 until 2002. We had cabin in Taku Harbor.

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/21/17 04:01 PM

I have fished all over alaska and the best I have found is around Gustavus.
Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/22/17 12:02 AM

Nice!!! cheers

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/22/17 12:05 AM

Originally Posted By: ssfireman
I have fished all over alaska and the best I have found is around Gustavus.

Why you Alaska fishin sonovagun you... roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao thumb
Posted By: taterpop

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/22/17 04:27 AM

Now that's a FlatHead !!

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/24/17 01:34 PM

Hey rick it is a blast do it every year. you think getting a 60lb cat on is fun. put a 200lb fish on and hang on. jigging ling cod is great fun too. plus. you go up in august and its 60 there and 100 here need i say more.

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/24/17 04:09 PM

Hey rick it is a blast do it every year. you think getting a 60lb cat on is fun. put a 200lb fish on and hang on. jigging ling cod is great fun too. plus. you go up in august and its 60 there and 00 here need i say more.

No your good SteveEEE... Nice!!! Real Nice!!! And does sound fun... roflmao roflmao roflmao cheers fish texas

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/24/17 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME
Hey rick it is a blast do it every year. you think getting a 60lb cat on is fun. put a 200lb fish on and hang on. jigging ling cod is great fun too. plus. you go up in august and its 60 there and 00 here need i say more.

No your good SteveEEE... Nice!!! Real Nice!!! And does sound fun... roflmao roflmao roflmao cheers fish texas

On second thought... Dig up some pics if you can SteveEEE. I'm stuck at home and can't even work on honeydoos cause of the rain!!! Lol!!!

Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/24/17 07:33 PM

Your poor boat looks so dry and lonely Rick! coolio

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/24/17 09:31 PM

dang rick you need to fix that pool... looks like it sprung a weak.. frkazoid
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Alaskan Catfishing - 06/25/17 01:07 PM

That looks like a fun trip that I'd like to do someday!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum