Texas Fishing Forum

Chum?

Posted By: Cshurleylt

Chum? - 06/14/17 08:36 PM

What are some good options for chum that is easy. I don't have a place to sour milo or sour anything for that matter? I've tried 40% range cubes in the past but felt like that attracted more carp then anything. Looking for something not to messy. Thanks again.
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: Chum? - 06/14/17 09:24 PM

Chum is messy by design. Your best bet for non messy chum is to look at ground bait recipes they use in the UK for rough fish like tench and such. You might be able to use a plum oil or other fruity oil, but you're having to reinvent a wheel that has long been perfected.

Personally I would use flour and fish oil to make some kind of dough chum, but again fish oil is nasty smelling. That's really the whole point of chum. The fish don't know that it's messy to you. They just know there's something that smells good to them.

You have to think from their perspective. If the process of preparation is messy then it's messy. You have to ask, "Am I willing to do whatever it takes to catch the fish, even if it means getting messy?"
Posted By: Cshurleylt

Re: Chum? - 06/17/17 01:49 AM

I'm not scared of getting messy or the stank. Just worried about getting the smell off my kayak if I spill some on it. We store the kayak in the garage where she parks her car so I think that speaks for it self lol.

Re: Chum? - 06/18/17 01:23 AM

Understood. In that case I'd seriously look at plum or fruit-flavored boillies.

Re: Chum? - 06/19/17 10:15 PM

Here's a good recipe I'd try, especially if you want to keep things kosher with the Mrs. I'd add flavors that carp fisherman have found useful in catfish angling like plum:

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum