Texas Fishing Forum

What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer?

Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/02/17 05:39 PM

Wondering what reels the guides that fish fulltime prefer to use here in Texas for Bluecats? I fished with Tom and he runs mostly Swedish AG for cats....my buddy Steve Schiele runs Shimano Japan. Furguson runs AG. Intrested in knowing what some of the other guys who make a living at it prefer and why? I've always used Swedish AG and shimano Japan but I hear Chinese models are just as good these days. I guess I been wasting my money on reels all this years.
Posted By: J Lowe

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/02/17 06:30 PM

I wouldn't get all worked up on what reels people use. Just stick with what you have faith in and keep catching them toads! fish

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/02/17 06:58 PM

I'm not worked up at all Amigo... I just like to try and emulate what the top guys are doing. I figure they know best and I value their opinion.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/02/17 07:21 PM

Every Cat Guide I have fished with runs Sweedish ABU's, a lot of the C4's.

Edit: one guide I went with had Penn Fathom reels.
Posted By: JimmyA

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/02/17 07:36 PM

I am not a guide but I'll be watching, this thread! I have fished with ABU 5500 C3's for years and love them, maybe something is better.........
Posted By: BADLANDER

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/02/17 07:37 PM

What do they prefer to run? or what do they run and the easiest to replace or fix from customer abuse?
Im betting on Abu's

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/02/17 07:51 PM

Yea I believe most guides I've seen, run Abu's.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/02/17 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: BADLANDER
What do they prefer to run? or what do they run and the easiest to replace or fix from customer abuse?
Im betting on Abu's

You know what I'm talking about D...I want to know what they run day in and day out for dependability, durability, cost, ease of repairs, etc.
Obviously a pro rocket is better than a C3 6500 but price is a defignitly a factor for most guides I would think. Tom told me he gets his Abus used.
Posted By: Jacky Wiggins

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/02/17 07:58 PM

I run all Abu reels as they do hold up. Only problem I get are the screws backing out on the side plates sometimes. I run some C4 6500's, C3 6500's and 2 6600SX reels. The customers have a much easier time reeling in fish on the C3 and SX reels. Abu has great customer service and I buy the gear gaurd from Bass Pro on most reels these days. If it can be broken eventually it will be broken. Did run some Shakespeare ATS reels for a little while. Did a good job on fish just not built to last long. Nice gear and drag system.
Posted By: Blues

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/02/17 08:06 PM

Wasn't trying to get you all bent gato just stating my opinion. Abu's aren't the end all be all and I never said Chinese cr@p is "just as good". The reels we were discussing aren't plastic geared Chinese BCX's and appear to be made well, is the only point I was trying to make. I have at least 15 Swedish 5500/6500's so I'm no abu hater either.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/02/17 08:26 PM

Thanks Blues...I'm not bent out of shape one bit. I never said Abus were the end all be all but if you have 15 Swedish Abus I would figure you could attest to their durability over inferior Chinese reels. Why not just buy Chinese Abus? Could it possibly be because they aren't built as good?

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/02/17 08:36 PM

And Blues...no hard feelings bud. You can come fishin on my boat anytime...just leave your China reel at home! Lol
Posted By: clk

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/02/17 09:39 PM

AG reels have went down hill it seems like. I have a couple of 6500 cat specials less then a year old and both have been worked on already. If you want a reel that will last along time look into conventional reels a lot less moving parts and most are made for saltwater so there built a little better.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/02/17 09:46 PM

What are you running currently and what reel do you plan on getting next clk?
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/02/17 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: J Lowe
I wouldn't get all worked up on what reels people use. Just stick with what you have faith in and keep catching them toads! fish

It ain't the tool, it's the mechanic.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/02/17 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: uncle_bagster

It ain't the tool, it's the mechanic.

Truer words never spoken but a Samurai loves a fine weapon.
Posted By: clk

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/02/17 10:35 PM

I'm honestly open to try anything. I have 7 Ag reels and like them but I do work on them every year at least one time due to paw or worm gear issues which sometimes strips out the drive gear wich is plastic for some reason. I have a some $40.00 okuma reels that last about a year then I just keep for parts. I have one okuma cz conventional reel that has been going strong for two years with no problems at all. If it was just me fishing by myself conventional reels is all I would own but customers have trouble with them sometimes. I also have had a couple cast king rovers for a year or so the only trouble with them is a cracked plastic thumb bar wich I proably caused when slinging it to grab another rod and the brake will back off on them and cause the spool to loosen if you don't check it. Now all that being said there is a reel called Ancient Mariner I beleve with a lifetime warranty that I'm proably going to try next winter.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/02/17 10:51 PM

the ancient mariners look incredible! Hope you get one soon and let us know how you like it.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/02/17 10:54 PM

Still testing those Abu's some going on 27 years old and still working but get repaired from time to time. Parts are readily available and lots of folks can fix em. They do all I need for big blues and red drum.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/03/17 01:28 AM

We run our share of trips each winter for blues and put lots of wear and tear on our reels. The "standard" reel for most blue cat guys is the sweedish 6500. They have worked for us but at a pretty high cost of maintence and headaches. Mostly, the reel seats busting while fighting fish...happened at least a dozen times this past winter with clients fighting fish...reel comes off the brazed seat and now client is fighting fish holding independent reel separate from independent rod...Line still connected through eyes of rod and hooks still in fishes mouth, LOL .

The bad thing about this situation is there is no easy fix. You can either braze / weld it back together (in out on this option) or just order a new frame.

We have gone a different direction...

We went will all new Shimano Tekota's...

HUGE difference in performance and feel. Smoother, cast farther, hold more line and have a way smoother drag. We've used them through about 100 big fish with no problems and customers make comments everyday about them...where we hardly had good comments about our abus.

Ive switched and we aren't looking back, thumb

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/03/17 01:31 AM

Also, personally I've not found anything from China that lasts in the world of blue catfish reels.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/03/17 01:56 AM

Thanks Gentlemen cheers ...I do greatly appreciate everyone's feedback. I have a feeling Shimano is going to sell a lot more Tekota's here in Texas in the near future! Will defignitly give them a look next reel I get.
For the love of Blues I hope to get the opportunity to hunt cats with all y'all someday! fish cowboy texas
Cree
Posted By: Magged Out

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/03/17 02:01 AM

This is like a 7000 size Abu. Check out the 656. Clone of the Abu 6500 Chrome Rocket. Heavier frame and side plates than C3 C4 reels. Internal parts are interchangeable with C Series Abu

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/03/17 02:17 AM

Oh and Gato, I ain't no guide.

Just a Tackle Hoe!

Akios designer worked for Abu 16years. Then started his own line of reels hooked
Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/03/17 05:51 PM

I like my 6500's better than the pro rocket
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/03/17 06:13 PM

For anything other than a C3 6500 you are paying for big handles, easter egg colors and logos printed on the side. That stuff is blingy but it doesn't catch fish. A batch of C3s and a minimal collection of spare parts and you have a lifetime reel.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/03/17 06:21 PM

Haven't fished with any blue cat guides. But have made a few trips to Alaska fishing for king salmon, halibut, ect. All the reels I see on guide boats there are Shimano, TLD, TR, Taigra. I asked one Captain if they got special deals on Shimano reels and he said no. If they make a reel that last longer without repair, I'll buy it. One guide said Shimano has an exchange program and he sends his reels back every winter and gets rebuilt ones at a very low exchange price. He said best insurance he ever spent money on.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/04/17 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
Haven't fished with any blue cat guides. But have made a few trips to Alaska fishing for king salmon, halibut, ect. All the reels I see on guide boats there are Shimano, TLD, TR, Taigra. I asked one Captain if they got special deals on Shimano reels and he said no. If they make a reel that last longer without repair, I'll buy it. One guide said Shimano has an exchange program and he sends his reels back every winter and gets rebuilt ones at a very low exchange price. He said best insurance he ever spent money on.

There is a reason they use Shimano, bannana2
Posted By: SARG

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/04/17 03:21 AM

Clearly Abu's cant run with the big dogs(my experience though limited to a mere 30+yrs)
At one time they "were",it seems that time has passed and they have some big work to do to measure up to even some Chinese offerings.
Shimano is my spinning reel go to every time for several decades
Im tired of near full rebuilds every winter,even my full ceramic modded ABU 6K's suck after just one hard
season(4 months).
CatMaxx almost makes it for me,simple review research puts it right at ABU status and I need well clear of all that noise
Simply stock up on round reel parts and all you have to do is out live them roflmao

Originally Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby

There is a reason they use Shimano, bannana2

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/04/17 11:18 AM

Clearly some people interpret things differently than I do...what I took out of this is that most big dogs are still running Abus and prefer them. Salsa says the "standard" bluecat reel is the 6500 abu. The definition of standard is the level to which all others are measured. Michael has changed to Shimano which is the other reels I said I prefer. Never heard any mention that these guys are starting to change to all China reels everyday. I might consider a Chinese reel if half the guides here were running them but Zero? I'll keep running my Abus every week like 9 out of 10 guides are running. Will defignitly look at the Shimano if one of my Abus goes overboard. Like the the Great Captain Salsa once said "personally, I have not found anything from China that lasts in the world of Blue catfish reels".

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/04/17 12:02 PM

And Sarg, I never see any posts of your fish. Can you start posting some of your weekly bluecats so we can see all these big fish your hauling in. Perhaps you and I could have a friendly weekly photo contest. I'm sure I'm not anywhere close to your level of experience but it could be a lot of fun. And there are also quite a few of us on here still waiting to see a photo of your amazing mystical 5# box anchor design that holds a battleship. I'm sure every guide on here is equally interested in your design as every guide I have every been with uses 2 25lbrs at a minimum and some use 35lbrs.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/04/17 01:22 PM

I can't believe nobody here ever used one of the old Penn 109's 209's or 309's.
I grew up with one foot in Red River north of Bonham and those Penn reels were the only thing that would hold up in the sand and big fish in swift running water.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/04/17 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide
Still testing those Abu's some going on 27 years old and still working but get repaired from time to time. Parts are readily available and lots of folks can fix em. They do all I need for big blues and red drum.

I've been fishing 50+ years and I've never had a problem that couldn't be fixed cheap, and those were rare occasions due to being my own fault, and any tune up or repair I was able to do on my own.
I don't know if there are better reels out there these days, but I'm old school and believe if it ain't broke where I can't fix it, it don't need to be replaced.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/04/17 06:54 PM

I feel nearly certain that the Shimdaiwas are better reels than Abu's but unsure if they are three times as good. I know a Lexus is superior to a Ford also, but poor people have poor ways.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/05/17 12:23 AM

People CHOOSE to be poor,dont let the media fool yah
The tide is indeed turning and it will be those that are the slowest of mind and weakest of spirit to be the last ones to get it.
Time for a reasonable change far above the last 8 US yrs
If Abu's are so prestigious and well built,long history etc,etc
Why did they dump the BCX reels on the US markets?
CAUSE THEY KNEW where the easy money was and there for the taking.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/05/17 12:31 AM

His wife beats him . . . . and he wins everytime
As long as she isnt around roflmao
Wrong hole to be poking a stick in I promise

Originally Posted By: El Gato Azul
And Sarg, I never see any posts of your fish. Can you start posting some of your weekly bluecats so we can see all these big fish your hauling in. Perhaps you and I could have a friendly weekly photo contest. I'm sure I'm not anywhere close to your level of experience but it could be a lot of fun. And there are also quite a few of us on here still waiting to see a photo of your amazing mystical 5# box anchor design that holds a battleship. I'm sure every guide on here is equally interested in your design as every guide I have every been with uses 2 25lbrs at a minimum and some use 35lbrs.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/05/17 12:35 AM

SARG...you need to go fishin and chill out!

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/05/17 03:07 AM

You pulled the chain and got the dog
Care for a few screen shots?
Fished today,tuff with the light north wind and light sprinkles
Caught a few 14-16" garbage cats on cut bait
All throw backs,good day out without the bigger bites we target.
For the very last time,run along and find another chain . . . . . . mad
Go get more "ripped" or something . . . . . boxing

SARG...you need to go fishin and chill out!

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/05/17 03:56 AM

Sorry I ever doubted your China reels and 5#box anchor. I guess I should apologize cause I'm "ripped", sorry that a little thing called hard work has an amazing affect on the body. Turns out a little manual labor for the past 20yrs is good excercize. I will stay clear from your posts in the future and you stay clear of mine. I don't want any problems in my life as I have way too much to loose and you clearly have some issues. Best of luck with whatever it is your on here for. The threatening PMs need to stop immediately. I'm not here for boat ramp wrestling and no I don't want to meet up wth you...I'm here to become a better Angler and share my journey with like minded fisherman. We are opposite minded.
Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/05/17 12:59 PM

Sorry I ever doubted your China reels and 5#box anchor. I guess I should apologize cause I'm "ripped", sorry that a little thing called hard work has an amazing affect on the body. Turns out a little manual labor for the past 20yrs is good excercize. I will stay clear from your posts in the future and you stay clear of mine. I don't want any problems in my life as I have way too much to loose and you clearly have some issues. Best of luck with whatever it is your on here for. The threatening PMs need to stop immediately. I'm not here for boat ramp wrestling and no I don't want to meet up wth you...I'm here to become a better Angler and share my journey with like minded fisherman. We are opposite minded.

When it all comes down to it, It's just what you do for the Toads Chris... It's what you do for the toads... cheers

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/05/17 01:04 PM

Thanks Rick cheers your a true inspiration brother! Keep up the good work Amigo!
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/05/17 01:12 PM

Sarge sounds an awful lot like a guy on here a while back. Threatening pm's and butt hurt over every little thing. Guys like this are what has ruined this forum.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/05/17 01:41 PM

I have met a lot of really good guys on here over the past couple of years and 2 crack pots. I have had some back and forth discussions with guys and we haven't always agreed on things and that's ok. Me and Rick had a descussion about braid vs mono but it never got uncivilized and he still runs braid and I still run mono and we get along great. We don't always have to agree but if we can't come on a public fishing forum and talk about which reel we prefer and why we don't like a certain origin of manufacturing, or which fishing line we prefer then what's the point of TFF. I'm a redneck like a lot if guys on here and I learned real quick you gotta have thick skin on TFF cause big bluecat fisherman will give you the business.
Posted By: G Love

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/05/17 01:53 PM

For your normal Blue Cat angler/guide (box and teen fish with kicker fish in the 30-50 lb range) I'd say Garcia 6500C3 is pretty much a staple. If you look at the guys that mainly just catch big fish, your big river guys, I see reels from Garcia 7000's to conventional set ups with out line guides like Avets and such. When Garcia's start breakin on me, I'll look for a different route. Good problem to have.
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/05/17 02:19 PM

We run our share of trips each winter for blues and put lots of wear and tear on our reels. The "standard" reel for most blue cat guys is the sweedish 6500. They have worked for us but at a pretty high cost of maintence and headaches. Mostly, the reel seats busting while fighting fish...happened at least a dozen times this past winter with clients fighting fish...reel comes off the brazed seat and now client is fighting fish holding independent reel separate from independent rod...Line still connected through eyes of rod and hooks still in fishes mouth, LOL .

The bad thing about this situation is there is no easy fix. You can either braze / weld it back together (in out on this option) or just order a new frame.

We have gone a different direction...

HUGE difference in performance and feel. Smoother, cast farther, hold more line and have a way smoother drag. We've used them through about 100 big fish with no problems and customers make comments everyday about them...where we hardly had good comments about our abus.

Same thing happened to my Abu Record Reel this past winter, never had one happen to me before. I use older and newer 6500 C3's and for me they have held up very well along with my 6000. I'm no guide but I do get to go fishing about twice a week on my home lake so I put them to use pretty well on some nice pigs. At least I look like I know what I'm doing. roflmao Trying out the Catmaxx reel now to see how it holds up but I might look into one of those Shimanos sometime.
Posted By: Blues

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/05/17 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish
Sarge sounds an awful lot like a guy on here a while bk. Threatening pm's and butt hurt over every little thing. Guys like this are what has ruined this forum.

SARG used to be CatBoss on here. Seems a little more chill than before though, at least I hope so.

We had a long conversation on the lake Saturday about what the forum used to be and where it's at now. I learned a bunch before I even signed up. Then learned a bunch after becoming a member. Not the same anymore and I feel bad for the new guys because they are missing out . You, salsa, tiny, damfisher, Dave, ssfireman, and countless other great fisherman don't post like before. I don't blame y'all at all, hell I don't post reports anymore either (not that anyone learned much from me lol) because of the drama from before.
Posted By: G Love

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/05/17 03:11 PM

Back in the BigDaddyDoubleDigit days... roflmao

Wonder what ever happened to that guy? hahaha

The weekly challenges... Gold.
Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/05/17 04:29 PM

Quote:
We had a long conversation on the lake Saturday about what the forum used to be and where it's at now. I learned a bunch before I even signed up. Then learned a bunch after becoming a member. Not the same anymore and I feel bad for the new guys because they are missing out . You, salsa, tiny, damfisher, Dave, ssfireman, and countless other great fisherman don't post like before. I don't blame y'all at all, hell I don't post reports anymore either (not that anyone learned much from me lol) because of the drama from before.

Sad that it seems to happen on many forums. The knowledge base leaves and goes fishing when the bashings and beat-downs become the norm. I've not been here that long but I sure miss the posting of those guys. I sure learned a bunch lurking and reading many of those guys posts. Now, I'm even afraid to post my fish pics and I'm in nowhere the category of those listed. Carry-on

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/05/17 11:58 PM

Catboss? wasnt my handle back in 02 when I first signed on TFF
Tried a search on Catboss and didnt find that user handle hmmm

Originally Posted By: Blues
Sarge sounds an awful lot like a guy on here a while bk. Threatening pm's and butt hurt over every little thing. Guys like this are what has ruined this forum.

SARG used to be CatBoss on here. Seems a little more chill than before though, at least I hope so.

Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 12:26 AM

I've been off and on here two years . Gato and Optimus uncle zee and a few other guys have been awesome with helpin me out with anything I've ever asked or an opinion I've WANTED and asked specifically for . Surely a few tiffs and stuff ain't gonna stop y'all from posting . lol I'd be screwed . Cuz I am by far an "expert" he'll I catch more of a buzz than I do fish when I go .but I really enjoy this site and shooting the chit with y'all just sayin.....id hate to see this forum turn into a ghost town

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 01:18 AM

The guy is the one that turned the whole thing to fighting and being all ripped
All I said is I would meet him at his ramp
Political correctness killed this forum a decade ago,like it or not it did
Its been clearly versed by many on the other forum page now running some 8yrs
How is it TFF thinks its still "the place" Tom? when the other place is busier then anything on FB.
Maybe cause that other page doesnt have a FB page?
Its called "Counter Culture" Tom and many are finally finding it
Hope business is good for you . . . . .

Sarge sounds an awful lot like a guy on here a while back. Threatening pm's and butt hurt over every little thing. Guys like this are what has ruined this forum.
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 01:22 AM

[censored] are you talking about? What "place"?

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 01:31 AM

NM flush_2
ote=tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish][censored] are you talking about? What "place"? [/quote]

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 01:50 AM

I am soooooo confused now

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 02:16 AM

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! When you rattle the chainy you get the doggy!!!!!! roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 02:16 AM

Catboss, is that you!? hammer bolt

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 02:24 AM

Catboss, is that you!? hammer bolt

roflmao

I was thinking the same thing earlier

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 02:41 AM

WHO is catboss?
Is this pond now so shallow,where is this catboss you speak of?
Posted By: MercuryJump

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 03:09 AM

I think I get why you are digging, your not upset. You may be like me, once I get started on a train of thought I may study and ask pros for weeks just for my own knowledge. I like to do my due diligence. It drives my wife crazy lol. I'm no pro but I run ABU's every Friday and I have some 10 yrs old.
Posted By: MercuryJump

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 03:30 AM

I have met a lot of really good guys on here over the past couple of years and 2 crack pots. I have had some back and forth discussions with guys and we haven't always agreed on things and that's ok. Me and Rick had a descussion about braid vs mono but it never got uncivilized and he still runs braid and I still run mono and we get along great. We don't always have to agree but if we can't come on a public fishing forum and talk about which reel we prefer and why we don't like a certain origin of manufacturing, or which fishing line we prefer then what's the point of TFF. I'm a redneck like a lot if guys on here and I learned real quick you gotta have thick skin on TFF cause big bluecat fisherman will give you the business.

I'd steer clear of Ancient Mariner reels...the owner doesn't make them, he orders them from China and he is an absolute nut job.
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 08:51 AM

Okay, so, did the original poster ever choose a reel?

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 10:30 AM

I decided to go with hand lines Willie! thumb

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 10:42 AM

Great choice! Those oughta last you a while. Not too sure about those hands after a couple 50lbrs though cyclop

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 12:06 PM

Ima stick with my Abu's for now...been working good for me for a long time so I bought 4 more customs. Thanks to all for your insite!

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 12:32 PM

Daaaang! Those r blingy! throw some dirt on those!
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 12:42 PM

Great choice! Those oughta last you a while. Not too sure about those hands after a couple 50lbrs though cyclop

hehe! They'll last a lifetime. That's for sure.

Lowe, na, people catch 200 lbs tuna all the time with nothing but handlines. It's jus ta matter of adjusting the line to the size fish. For trophy cats 200 to 300 lbs mono would make it easy on your hands.

Anyway, back to the original post. I'm sure the Abus will give you years of service. I had a couple of 4300 C3s. I lost them both when I capsized my boat. Man, I hated losing those reels. I'd probably still be using them, especially with a single color of leadcore line on it for shallow water trolling.

From my bicycle days, all I ever ran was Shimano. Their components cost a little more, but was so much more reliable. High-end bicycle component and fishing components have a lot in common. Given my experience with Shimano from a totally different industry, I'd want their brand. I mean if the quality transfers from say their XT level mountain bike components to their trolling reels, man, I wouldn't hesitate to go all Shimano.

Still if you have all Abus now, no need to switch. There is plenty of support, available parts. Save that money for the zombie apocalypse.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 01:04 PM

I like my reels like I like my women, cleaned up, well lubed, and sexy as a MFr!
Posted By: TCK73

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 01:08 PM

I like my reels like I like my women, cleaned up, well lubed, and sexy as a MFr!

banana

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 05:16 PM

Those are some sexy lookin real you got there sir !
Posted By: ccat

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/06/17 09:49 PM

I guide up here in Arkansas on the Ark river and ONLY use Swedish ABU 6000 and 6500c
If I am throwing punch bait, I'll use 6000 and 5500c.
Posted By: Tex

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/08/17 06:44 PM

I use ABU 6500 C3
Posted By: elpolloloco

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/11/17 03:03 AM

What size Shimano Tekota are you using Littlejohn?
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/11/17 06:40 PM

Those are purdy! thumb
Posted By: K.G

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/11/17 07:37 PM

I Throw 6500C3 Rocket's For the Fact that they Cast Farther Than a Tekota.
If I Had a Boat I would be partial to Tekota's for the Fact that they have a Better Drag System.
Good Lookin Catfish Special's EGA.
Tight Lines.
Posted By: JasonB23

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/11/17 10:45 PM

I use Abu 6500 cs and ct Rockets. They cast much farther than a c3 out of the box. They have stronger frames and sideplates. They have dual cast control knobs for better casting control. They also have a better clicker.
Posted By: killen

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/16/17 10:20 PM

cheap reels and good line

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/17/17 03:07 AM

Wheres the cup holders? roflmao
FWIW,Abu doesnt retool for stronger frames and side plates
They are all the same,just stickers and price tags fella
Side plates on my 7K arent any stronger then my old 5K
Its a 3 screw,4 screw kinda thing

Originally Posted By: JasonB23
I use Abu 6500 cs and ct Rockets. They cast much farther than a c3 out of the box. They have stronger frames and sideplates. They have dual cast control knobs for better casting control. They also have a better clicker.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/17/17 03:23 AM

Expensive reals with stickers and expensive rods dont make a difference?
Your right,looking good and pricey dont catch fish
Originally Posted By: killen
cheap reels and good line

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/17/17 03:41 AM

I don't want to argue Sarg but a 6500c3 and a 6500 rocket are not the same thing. They are completely different animals. Brass sideplates are stronger than aluminum and the chrome rocket frame is much heavier and stronger than that of a c3 and the reel foot is forged vs welded. It has a better clicker and casts much farther also.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/17/17 06:13 AM

If you have a genuine rocket frame like the frame on the left in the picture it is stronger. It has a forged reel foot. If you have a reel foot like the frame on the right the foot is rivoted or welded and yes it is weaker and will break easier. You can also buy a rocket with a cheaper frame if you bought yours from Simmons or catfish connection. They custom order reels from Abu and cheap out on the parts to be able to offer them at a lower price. There is many companies that do this.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/17/17 12:39 PM

My beautiful new custom c3s sure have been catching me a lot of fish! And they are defignitly built better than my stock c3s. Different side plates, bigger plate screws, different line guide, different thumb rest, lot of differences in the two actually! Saying the only difference is just stickers is just plain wrong. My customs weighs 6 more oz than my orange c3 catfish specials. Must be magic!! I've added pics of clear differences in the two and I'm quite certain there are more.
different side plates!!

bigger plate screws!

different thumb rest!

different line guide!

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/17/17 12:59 PM

You're gonna make me go take pics of my Zebco 303s. They are the best! frkazoid

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/25/17 01:05 AM

Did you go with 500 or 600's ?(500's will spool 200+ yds of 40#)
Im making the switch
Any reference for sale/sales/source(where to buy)
Im needing 8 reels to rig out another new boat

We run our share of trips each winter for blues and put lots of wear and tear on our reels. The "standard" reel for most blue cat guys is the sweedish 6500. They have worked for us but at a pretty high cost of maintence and headaches.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/25/17 12:11 PM

I have 11 abu's, some are 5000's, some 6500's, some 7000's. The 6500's are my favorite. The 7000'a are a little heavy. The shimano;s cost more. I've always thought about buying a calcutta. I have mine cleaned and checked every year. Never had a problem with any of them. Biggest blue I have caught is a 42 lb. I'm sure littlejohn knows since he fishes every day and catches 50-60 lb'ers. I'm gonna buy a shimano just to see if I like them better. Should I get a tekato or a calcutta? If a tekato, what size?

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/25/17 09:44 PM

I got two loaner Tecota 500 last weekend and fished two days with them
I fished again two days this weekend and Im sold on that reel now for sure.
After three or four fish on an Abu and then you hang a solid haaawg with a Tekota,man oh man the difference is well worth the price difference.
The entire platform is so smooth and positive,just barely bump the drag and it will stop a Peterbilt
SO MUCH more refined then Anything I have from Abu
The Tekotas also have a ceramic bearing option(after market)available
Gonna write me a big ole check this week frkazoid

Originally Posted By: snowyriver6
I have 11 abu's, some are 5000's, some 6500's, some 7000's. The 6500's are my favorite. The 7000'a are a little heavy. The shimano;s cost more. I've always thought about buying a calcutta. I have mine cleaned and checked every year. Never had a problem with any of them. Biggest blue I have caught is a 42 lb. I'm sure littlejohn knows since he fishes every day and catches 50-60 lb'ers. I'm gonna buy a shimano just to see if I like them better. Should I get a tekato or a calcutta? If a tekato, what size?

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/26/17 09:10 PM

[quote=SARG]
I got two loaner Tecota 500 last weekend and fished two days with them
I fished again two days this weekend and Im sold on that reel now for sure.
After three or four fish on an Abu and then you hang a solid haaawg with a Tekota,man oh man the difference is well worth the price difference.
The entire platform is so smooth and positive,just barely bump the drag and it will stop a Peterbilt
SO MUCH more refined then Anything I have from Abu
The Tekotas also have a ceramic bearing option(after market)available
Gonna write me a big ole check this week frkazoid [quote]

I've said stuff that is wrong on here before but I try not too... And now that I've said that I can say this... You don't wanna try to stop a peterbilt. Just leave your drag set at 5 or 6 lbs and enjoy. You'll see more big fish... farmer

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/27/17 01:08 AM

I own 3 Peterbilts every month I send the payment
ANYWAY. . . . .
These Tekota's are damn nice,my fault for sticking with Abu for over 30yrs
Found me 2 of the 500's today for $139 close outs from a big box store
Town close by has two more in stock same price,next city up has 3 on hand
Need one more for my 8 total for the new rig coming next Tues on transport
May just suck it up and pay the $180 for the last one and be done with it cause the last one is over in Louisiana.
Upgrade bearings will be ordered once reels arrive in hand,known fail parts also from the same source(very few).
Ordering rods in the morning . . . . .

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 06/27/17 02:36 AM

LMAO! roflmao roflmao roflmao what happened to the Chinese reels that are so great??? Already flushed em down the toilet? azn flush_2

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 07/01/17 04:38 PM

I've got 2 abu 5000's . not used much. Have just been serviced by Turbo Dan. I think I will sell them and buy a shimano to try. Any offers ?

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 07/01/17 10:05 PM

Only takes about 3-6lb of pressure to stop a Pete under controlled braking
8lb under full load controlled braking
Its all pedal control . . . wink
Originally Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME
[quote=SARG]
[quote]

I've said stuff that is wrong on here before but I try not too... And now that I've said that I can say this... You don't wanna try to stop a peterbilt. Just leave your drag set at 5 or 6 lbs and enjoy. You'll see more big fish... farmer

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 07/01/17 10:11 PM

Good luck finding a Tekota 500 at a reasonable price
The market has spiked as people depart from the Abu misery
A lady posted in another forum the other day,she is from/in Sweden
THEY DONT USE ABU's in SWEDEN for the most part(yes some do)
I guess they have walmart shoppers too?
After 40 yrs Im done with the AG label and never looking back
She did say americans need to keep buying the Abu's LMAO!! roflmao

I've got 2 abu 5000's . not used much. Have just been serviced by Turbo Dan. I think I will sell them and buy a shimano to try. Any offers ?
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 07/01/17 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: SARG

I wish she would have said Americans need to keep buying Abu's. Or maybe she did and it got lost in translation.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 07/01/17 11:32 PM

No interest here in a Malaysia made Shimano Tekota.
Sarg,
I will gladly buy all those misery Abu reels u don't want.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 07/03/17 02:23 AM

They are already sold and shipped out
Aint looking back

Originally Posted By: JasonB23
No interest here in a Malaysia made Shimano Tekota.
Sarg,
I will gladly buy all those misery Abu reels u don't want.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 07/03/17 02:27 AM

No she clearly said americans and for clear reason
Truth only has one side,she see's this country from her country
So keep buying Abu,she needs the work!!

Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
Originally Posted By: SARG

I wish she would have said Americans need to keep buying Abu's. Or maybe she did and it got lost in translation.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 07/03/17 03:30 AM

de de de
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 07/03/17 12:02 PM

Why not throw in a Ford vs Chevy argument while we're at it?

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 07/07/17 08:55 AM

I just got my first Tekato. Much heavier than a 6500. Seems better built. I like the power handle on the 6500 better. Tekato reminds me of a heavier better built 6500. now, lets go catch some fish.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 07/07/17 04:56 PM

My daddy can whup your daddy

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 07/07/17 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake
My daddy can whup your daddy

Boo chit
Posted By: Sumfish

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 08/20/20 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by clk
I'm honestly open to try anything. I have 7 Ag reels and like them but I do work on them every year at least one time due to paw or worm gear issues which sometimes strips out the drive gear wich is plastic for some reason. I have a some $40.00 okuma reels that last about a year then I just keep for parts. I have one okuma cz conventional reel that has been going strong for two years with no problems at all. If it was just me fishing by myself conventional reels is all I would own but customers have trouble with them sometimes. I also have had a couple cast king rovers for a year or so the only trouble with them is a cracked plastic thumb bar wich I proably caused when slinging it to grab another rod and the brake will back off on them and cause the spool to loosen if you don't check it. Now all that being said there is a reel called Ancient Mariner I beleve with a lifetime warranty that I'm proably going to try next winter.

I bought 3 Ancient Mariner 7000 reels from a guy off of CL for about 60 bucks each, Have not tried them out yet outside of casting one with a 3 oz weight that went a country mile spooled with 12 lb Big Game. Did you @clk get to try out one?

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 08/20/20 01:53 PM

After I made this post I bought 4 Tekotas and 4 Abus. I broke 2 of the Abus. I’ve got 8 Tekotas now and they have given me zero issues the last 3 yrs. I still have 16 Abus but I will grab the Tekotas first every time. I fish 1-2 day per week year round and I pull big planer boards with big baits most of those trips. I’m tough on equipment and if there is a deficiency in my gear I will usually find a way to break it. If you guys are looking for one hell of a catfish reel then I highly recommend a Tekota HGA. That high gear ratio and cranking power makes reeling up planers with big baits so much easier. You’ll cut the time it takes to reel all your lines up in half. texas

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 08/20/20 02:43 PM

Tekotas are much more 4yr old friendly too. My son doesn’t like the Abus because they pinch his little fingers. He has cranked in fish over 20lbs with the Tekotas. He can’t land a fish half that size with Abu. [Linked Image]
Posted By: atx_ben

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 08/20/20 10:21 PM

So, I'm not a catfishing pro, but I DID grow up surf fishing in Galveston, and (as near as I can tell) there's a few similarities.

I'm surprised that I haven't seen any lever drag reels mentioned here -- I have an Avet MX on my light surf rod that I'm definitely going to find a use for in one of the lakes around Austin. I like the lever drag reel because you have a really fine control over the drag, and the Avet on my 11' surf rod can be cast a mile (600 yds of 50 lb power pro). The downside is that they're not level-wind reels, but I've never found that to be an issue.

There are also great lever drag reels from Accurate, Siegler, and Penn. These reels can pack oversized drags, but small profiles (even 13fishing has a bait caster that boasts 20+ pounds of drag...). I'm just a little surprised to not see any of these mentioned, especially since the Avets at Bass Pro aren't THAT much more expensive than Abu Garcia, and probably hold up WAY better. And I've taken both of them apart, so I know they're not any more or less complicated on the inside.

Also, since people seem to care about it here, they're made (machined and assembled) in the USA, as are the Siegler reels.

Re: What kind of reels do Bluecat Guides here in Texas prefer? - 08/21/20 03:26 PM

Most guys that use the star drag are set it and forget it. Big cats dont run fast and hard like tuna or other large saltwater fish so the star drag works good. Catfish mouths are fleshy and if you have your drag too tight you will miss big fish from hooks pulling out when you get em up close. I have buddies that came here from saltwater fishing that use a lever drag and they love em but the majority of catfisherman are freshwater guys and we’re all accustomed to star drag.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum