Texas Fishing Forum

Mono question

Posted By: MercuryJump

Mono question - 10/03/16 01:56 AM

I have had my mono leader cut or broken several times in the last month, and I can't figure out what to do. My set up is this. 80lb braid with 130lb swivel, 3ft of 50lb mono, and 7/0 circle sea hook. Using a 10ft surf rod with a spinning reel on this setup.

Now, I have all Abu round baitcasters except for this one I use to reach way out. I have had the line snap at least 6 times in the last month and a half. I have hung a monster in the same hole each time, so big I can't turn it. I don't know if the fish knows a specific place to cut the line, or if the 50 is just the weak link and the fish is just too big for 50 or what. I inspect the line and there is no sign of abrasion just a clean break. I know my setup will handle a good size fish because I pulled in a 30lb blue Friday with no problems. Fishing from the bank also.

I have been using Berkeley Big Game. Is there a better one?
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Mono question - 10/03/16 03:19 AM

It is either a gar in the hole or there is something like a sharp rock cutting your leader. Try a wire leader or 100 pound Big Game leader. Good luck.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Mono question - 10/03/16 09:07 AM

Make sure your knot is tied good with no overlapping or twisting at the knot. You will break off a lot on big fish if you knots are not perfect. I like to snell knot my hooks and Palomar knot the rest. Lube it as you pull it tight. Check your leader with your fingers before each cast to check for abrasions or nicks in line. The hook will sometimes nick your leader from the force of long casting a big rig. Good luck.
Posted By: Big Zee

Re: Mono question - 10/03/16 01:09 PM

I had this happen to me about 2 weeks ago. Lost a big one at the boat. Hate it when you can see them. I read that mono line will get weak in the Texas sun. I kept my mono leader line in the boat box under my console. I changed it out and went to the snell knot. So far so good. Now I keep my leader line with my other gear in the house. Sounds like we use the same rig and same size rod and the Berkeley big game. cheers
Posted By: liljim_1

Re: Mono question - 10/04/16 05:19 PM

Y'all will laugh your butt off I use 20 lb big game a high quality swivel,
Lb mono leader, I snell my own stuff, palamar, l am very anal about keeping it pristine and don't hesitate to replace everything I have never broken off a fish. I have lost a few but never due to breaking off

Re: Mono question - 10/04/16 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: liljim_1
Y'all will laugh your butt off I use 20 lb big game a high quality swivel,
Lb mono leader, I snell my own stuff, palamar, l am very anal about keeping it pristine and don't hesitate to replace everything I have never broken off a fish. I have lost a few but never due to breaking off
your going to open up a can of worms talkin like that Jim! popcorn2 prepare to get trolled.

Re: Mono question - 10/04/16 05:49 PM

The age old question braid or mono my dad was a bad tournament fisherman he could out fish me any day of the week. He had very limited electronics, and old school technology rods reels. I was born in west Monroe.
Once I started looking into catching blues I did a lot of research and I use the exact same setup Cody caught the state record on nothing special catching big fish takes having your gear in great shape
Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

Re: Mono question - 10/04/16 06:58 PM

Mercury buddy, you will most likely never catch that fish on rod and reel unless you catch him away from his honey hole out in the open or gear up with a major rig. It's either an alligator gar or monster flathead. You are going to have to try lure him away from his honey hole or use other methods... When your in their territory and a big one has your number they will just do it to you over and over. I've experienced the same thing a many of time... It's a sonovagun... cheers

Re: Mono question - 10/04/16 07:48 PM

+1 😎

Re: Mono question - 10/04/16 08:59 PM

One last thing to consider where did you get your line ? This sounds crazy but it has a shelf life and I stay away from bulk line at places like Walmart
Posted By: Jacky Wiggins

Re: Mono question - 10/04/16 08:59 PM

The biggest question is where is the leader cut at. I was using too small a leader mono and almost always when I would loose a big fish the leader was cut about 6-12" away from my swivel with a 24-30" leader. I realized they were rolling around and the fin was cutting the line as smooth as a knife. I know use 60 lb mono leader without that happening. With a gar you will have most of the leader left because the teeth cut the line. If you only have the swivel left then it's the knot. Hopefully this helps out a little.

Re: Mono question - 10/04/16 09:14 PM

A really great spot for information on mono is Chad Ferguson he uses triline big game as well I hope that helps

Re: Mono question - 10/04/16 09:43 PM

I love my 30 lb big game solar collector green..50lb mono leader...Whatever gets em in the boat!

Re: Mono question - 10/04/16 10:07 PM

Guys, if this is the kind of fish I am talkin about, you can use a 135lb wire leader with 100lb power pro main line and chances are you will still have major problems catching it... And the question of " can a fish be this smart " ? the right one can... Yes I've been there... just my 2cents though... flehan

Re: Mono question - 10/04/16 10:46 PM

And fishing as much as some of these guys do would make for an expensive proposition I'm kinda cheap and have more decent setups instead of a couple top of the line. Braid raises hell with your rod eyes and is actually hard on reel components

Re: Mono question - 10/04/16 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME
Guys, if this is the kind of fish I am talkin about, you can use a 135lb wire leader with 100lb power pro main line and chances are you will still have major problems catching it... And the question of " can a fish be this smart " ? the right one can... Yes I've been there... just my 2cents though... flehan
true dat buddy cheers if a big yella gets in his hole you ain't pullin him out with a crane!

Re: Mono question - 10/04/16 11:45 PM

What they said 😎 And this time of the year with these water temperatures get ready to have your [censored] handed to you
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Mono question - 10/05/16 12:12 PM

I use 80# Cabela's Salt Striker clear mono and have never broke a leader yet. The most common point of a brake for me is main line right above the swivel. It you check for abrasions and retie as needed you should be good to go. I am personally not a fan of braid. I use 30# Yellow Salt Striker mono for main line.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Mono question - 10/05/16 12:13 PM

A lot of people use Big Game but to me it has too much memory.

Re: Mono question - 10/05/16 02:29 PM

Prime,
Depending on how close he is to the hole a sky- track might be an option

Re: Mono question - 10/05/16 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: El Gato Azul
true dat buddy cheers if a big yella gets in his hole you ain't pullin him out with a crane!

The size you talking about you need #120 braided twine 640 lb break, Leader line #42 braided twine 325 lb break, a 5/0 swivel and a 20/0 j hook, a nice big perch and something to tie to. Then the fight is on, just you and the cat. NO rod or reel, just that twine in your hands. That's how I learned to catfish. We've caught more big yellow cats out of the rivers around here I can't even count no more. Now that's old school catfishing there. thumb

Can a catfish be that smart....Yes sir they can. How do you think they get that big.

Re: Mono question - 10/05/16 07:40 PM

cheers

Re: Mono question - 10/05/16 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: liljim_1
Prime,
Depending on how close he is to the hole a sky- track might be an option

cheers

Re: Mono question - 10/05/16 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Zee

The size you talking about you need #120 braided twine 640 lb break, Leader line #42 braided twine 325 lb break, a 5/0 swivel and a 20/0 j hook, a nice big perch and something to tie to. Then the fight is on, just you and the cat. NO rod or reel, just that twine in your hands. That's how I learned to catfish. We've caught more big yellow cats out of the rivers around here I can't even count no more. Now that's old school catfishing there. thumb

Can a catfish be that smart....Yes sir they can. How do you think they get that big.

cheers thumb texas
Posted By: HumanSeine

Re: Mono question - 10/09/16 07:14 PM

I don't use mono while catfishing and don't think catfish are line shy at all. I could be wrong but I do catch a good number of catfish almost every week. Now if I fish with goldfish I get more gar bites. I prefer to use 30 pound power pro for most of my catfish trips.

Re: Mono question - 10/10/16 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: HumanSeine
I don't use mono while catfishing and don't think catfish are line shy at all. I could be wrong but I do catch a good number of catfish almost every week. Now if I fish with goldfish I get more gar bites. I prefer to use 30 pound power pro for most of my catfish trips.

I grew up being told that cats can see your fishing line. Try to use line that they don't see. I was taught when you tied your line don't leave any extra hang. The cats see them they say. After of many years of fishing like that, I agree with you that cats are not line shy. I use orange line to help me see it better, and noticed they still bite. I also see light bites much better and helps catch more fish. If your in the right spot, you'll catch cats.
Posted By: MercuryJump

Re: Mono question - 10/11/16 12:24 AM

Ok, I flagged down a guy in a bass boat and he checked it out with his electronics. It's a drop off that goes from 12 to 35 feet with a big hole going back underneath. I didn't tell him what I was looking for, but he said he swore the big log in the hole moved. lol

Re: Mono question - 10/11/16 12:43 PM

Sounds like you found the honey hole. Hang on you got a nice fight come your way. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum