Texas Fishing Forum

Lake turnover

Posted By: ssfireman

Lake turnover - 09/30/16 01:40 PM

What temp is usually the right temp to make lake turnover? I know it usually happens around the middle of Oct. and was just wondering. I know it is different every year. thanks
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Lake turnover - 10/01/16 12:41 AM

I haven't experienced one in a while. Grapevine usually doesn't stratify hard and that is my fall lake.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Lake turnover - 10/01/16 01:12 AM

Last couple years we really haven't had turn over on most texas lakes. Just haven't had enough abrupt cold weather.

The lakes have mixed pretty well lately. Twok has already started, thumb

To answer your question, there isn't any one temp...it has to do with how fast the upper 10ft water column cools and "pushes up" the lower 3rd water column. Since we haven't had abrupt cold weather last couple years, the lakes haven't turned over but have mixed. Mixing helps fishing stay consistent. Turnover hurts the fishing for about 8-15 days.
Posted By: ssfireman

Re: Lake turnover - 10/01/16 02:30 AM

Thanks for the info clap I knew there had to be at least one smart person on the forum.... hmmm noidea not saying it is you but thanks for the reply. lol_2
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Lake turnover - 10/01/16 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: ssfireman
Thanks for the info clap I knew there had to be at least one smart person on the forum.... hmmm noidea not saying it is you but thanks for the reply. lol_2

roflmao
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum