Texas Fishing Forum

Recommend Rods for Blue Cats

Posted By: J_Howell

Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/08/16 04:04 PM

I've always been a crappie fisherman and when I was much younger fished for channel cats, but I have never fished for big blues. I was wondering if you could recommend a cheap rod that would work for these. What length, action, and line weight should I seek?
Posted By: K_Dean

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/08/16 04:18 PM

Pro Angler rods.
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/08/16 04:23 PM

Medium pro angler. You can feel a channelcat bite but I know they will handle numerous 60/70lb blues
Posted By: Minnowkiller

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/08/16 04:23 PM

Depends whether you're from the bank or a boat, bank is say an 8-10ft rod with 20-30lb mono, MH-H action. Boat I'd say 6ft rods 20-30lb mono, and M-MH Action. Pro angler makes excellent quality rods, their 10ft being my favorite. Also the ugly stick white catfish long rods make great boat rods. Quality goes up as the price goes up.
Posted By: parttime

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/08/16 04:33 PM

Pro Angler.
Posted By: J_Howell

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/08/16 04:59 PM

I have a boat and also fish from the bank/dock at times. I'll check out the Pro Angler Rods. Thank you for the input!
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/08/16 05:24 PM

7' ugly stick catfish special in MH...love love love that white ugly stick against green water...helps you see rod bouncing out of the corner of your eye..Amazon $40 is cheap
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/08/16 05:25 PM

I've never had a problem with just a plain medium or medium heavy action 7' ugly stick for any and all cat fishing. Friend wrestled in a 48lb flatty last year with a medium light action ugly stick with a cheap reel on it. Ugly sticks are effective and cheap.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/08/16 05:32 PM

I caught a 150 lb shark down at Galveston last summer on my ugly stick catfish special ..it can definitely handle big fish
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/08/16 05:45 PM

I had two Pro Anglers (until they were permanently borrowed). I replaced them with Ugly Sticks and never regretted it. With 50lb braid, I have yet to break one.
Posted By: BigPoppa007

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/08/16 05:55 PM

ProAngler. MeatHunter. Ugly Stick. Cabelas Whupping Stick.Cabelas King Kat. RippinLips SuperCat (Academy). 7-8' MH. 20 lb mono or 50-65 lb Braid. 40 lb mono leaders. 4/0- 10/0 circle hooks.
Posted By: BigPoppa007

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/08/16 06:01 PM

If you use Baitcasters the cheapest decent rod is Tournament Choice Yellow at Academy for $16. 7' MH
These were real popular a few years ago. I just noticed a few at Burleson Academy again the other day.

I like Spinning Reels and prefer ProAngler ($45) and MeatHunter Rods ($24.95) but the RippinLips looks good for $39.99.

http://www.rfsportsinc.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=4&Category_ID=1
Posted By: lowew79

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/08/16 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Cree
7' ugly stick catfish special in MH...love love love that white ugly stick against green water...helps you see rod bouncing out of the corner of your eye..Amazon $40 is cheap

+1, match it with a Abu Garcia 6xxx series reel and some Team Catfish monofilament. That my setup.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/08/16 07:56 PM

Pro Angler thumb
Posted By: JasonB23

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/08/16 11:30 PM

Pro Angler and Whisker Seeker are hands down the 2 best cat rods for the money.
Posted By: JasonB23

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/08/16 11:32 PM

Medium and mh = Pro Angler
Heavy = Whisker Seeker
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/09/16 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: JasonB23
Pro Angler and Whisker Seeker are hands down the 2 best cat rods for the money.

Those are the two rods that I use and I am very happy with both of them
Posted By: Tex

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/09/16 12:49 PM

I sent you a PM. I designed the Pro Angler Rods
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/09/16 02:03 PM

Never been disappointed with my old Ugly Stiks and have fought a few bigguns including Gator Gar. I also have a Lew's 7ft American Hero MH that I believe will handle the big ones. It has 9 or 10 eyelets and casts mo better than the Ugly Stiks.
I like the looks of the Pro Angler and I am sure they will live up to the hype and I'll bet they cast better since they have all those extra eyelets on them.
Posted By: Texasian

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/10/16 12:14 AM

Ugly Stik 7' catfish rods have worked well for me. Currently on Clearance on their website! Rods for $23.97 and spinning combos for $31.84! The spinning reel is just "okay"...but the rods will hold up forever.

http://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-clearance/
Posted By: Ingle777

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/13/16 05:34 AM

I'd recommend the Rippin Lips for a good budget rod but I use the Okuma Battle Cat and it's fantastic! I found mine for $80 on Amazon but during peak sales they raise em to $120
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/13/16 06:48 PM

Team catfish 1-ton series 8ft and 8ft Meat Hunters cool
Posted By: Dave P

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/13/16 07:03 PM

first choice: Pro Angler
second: Ugly Stik
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/13/16 08:56 PM

My go to rod was an Eagle Claw Granger Steel Head 8'6" but they quit making it after Pure Fishing cheapened it and it started to break. After that I used the Academy rods and wore a pickup or two out taking them back. Since then I switched to Pro Angler and I have broke one in six years, and it was replaced. I only have about 25 and they have been out on over 1000 trips. So in my limited experience they do the job and Tex is a good guy.
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: Recommend Rods for Blue Cats - 06/22/16 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake
Never been disappointed with my old Ugly Stiks and have fought a few bigguns including Gator Gar. I also have a Lew's 7ft American Hero MH that I believe will handle the big ones. It has 9 or 10 eyelets and casts mo better than the Ugly Stiks.
I like the looks of the Pro Angler and I am sure they will live up to the hype and I'll bet they cast better since they have all those extra eyelets on them.

If you ever come out towards Azle let me know and you can take a look at them. I stock all of the rods.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum