Texas Fishing Forum

Academy cast nets...or lack of

Posted By: BrianTx01

Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/23/16 08:30 PM

2 academy's... Zero super spreader cast nets...only old salts to 5'. Anyone hear anything?

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/23/16 08:37 PM

Guy in the store said the closest one was in Houston.
Posted By: Chiprat

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/23/16 08:43 PM

i went to Gander Mt and bought the Ultra Spreader 6' 3/8 mesh. have not caught anything but Yard grass with it this week, bit I like the way it throws. killed a Walmart one in the creek last week. Never putting this one in the creek...
Posted By: pelican

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/23/16 08:53 PM

Cabelas?

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/23/16 09:37 PM

I am sure Cabelas has them, but I have a $25 gift card. I am actually just trying to get a test subject for my taping experiment.
Posted By: amobo45

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/23/16 09:58 PM

I wanted one for the same thing. They have it online.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/23/16 10:12 PM

They do have some online and usually have free shipping on orders over $30
Posted By: Freeman Clark

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/23/16 11:41 PM

Brain when you tape your net. Have someone help you.Get on your kitchen table and take your time.
Posted By: HeavyLead

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/24/16 12:46 AM

Saw the same at the Garland academy. Walmart had some.
Posted By: Klinger

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/24/16 02:05 AM

Taping your net? Can you expand on that? Where and why? Most I have ever done to mine is soak in fabric softener and maybe add extra weight to sink quicker.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/24/16 02:56 AM

Lay the net out flat. Put duct tape around the perimeter about 4" to 6" up from the weights. Outside then inside, between net and drawstrings to match. Add extra 15' or so of rope. It will stay open a lot longer, to catch shad really deep. Don't do this on your best net. The tape will not come off, without tearing the net up. Ask me how I know this! After winter is over, clean net really well, and store it until next winter's use.

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/24/16 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Freeman Clark
Brain when you tape your net. Have someone help you.Get on your kitchen table and take your time.

I was thinking the driveway.

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/24/16 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: HeavyLead
Saw the same at the Garland academy. Walmart had some.

I guess we can thank Kohlberg Kravis Roberts. I guess I missed the clearance.

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/24/16 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: BrianTx01
Originally Posted By: Freeman Clark

I was thinking the driveway.

This will work.^^^^

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/24/16 03:14 AM

Found this online.
$44.99

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fitec-Sup...T.mc_id=crrdtfd

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/24/16 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: jbobo

Academy use to sell the 1# 7' 3!8" for less than $40 before KKR took them over...now purchasing decisions are made in NYC.
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/24/16 03:55 AM

Academy in Longview had some of the Super Spreader nets last week. Don't recal what size , mesh and weight, but they had them
Posted By: Ingle777

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/24/16 07:16 AM

Academy never has anything in stock, atleast when it comes to fishing. I've went up for the past two months and the only net they had was a single Betts old salt, too pricey for me, and I can't find when their restocking days are so I can't use my Christmas gift frown
Posted By: Jedi-Ninja

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/24/16 02:41 PM

http://castnets.com/clearance.php
Posted By: Hoff1967

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/26/16 02:09 AM

You can put a strip of tape around the bottom of the net by the lead line and it will keep the net open better when throwing in deep water. You can also by nets that are made like this.
Posted By: cbag1

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/26/16 04:21 AM

Have you tried Amazon?
Posted By: Mark's Fence Repair

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/27/16 05:08 PM

I just went to all the academy stores and they didn't have no nets. That was a few months ago and so I started around again and went to North Richland Hills and Arlington store and they still don't have no darn nets so I talk to the manager I say why don't y'all have any darn nets? how I'm going to get bait, I think you aren't selling the net so I have to buy some stupid lure I can't catch no fish with that in cold weather I need live bait and the guy said all we just sold all our nets and and he said there's a truck in the back and then I have more nets in it I told him he's a liar because y'all ain't have no one single net in here for 6 months you ain't getting them in and selling them real fast nobody's buying up all the Nets they want you to buy lures
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/27/16 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: jbobo

Academy use to sell the 1# 7' 3!8" for less than $40 before KKR took them over...now purchasing decisions are made in NYC.

As the mass-merchandising mentality takes hold in big retail operations, they are all about sheer revenue, revenue, revenue from the masses. That's going to be trendy logo clothing sold at 10x cost, shoes with a check-mark, and all the gear to outfit thousands upon thousands of toddler/youth athletic teams where everybody gets a trophy. The footprint for actual fishing/hunting has been shrinking at Academy for some time. When I see them move a store to larger quarters, it's always about the trendy clothing for the entire family, and certainly not fishing. This will continue with the profit univision of the pencil heads.

Stock for anything in the store that wasn't a likely Christmas gift item will suffer in such stores. That NYC buyer only knows seasons such as "back to school" and "Christmas" and absolutely nothing about when a fisherman might need to buy a cast net, nor will he ever really care.
Posted By: J Lowe

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/27/16 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark's Fence Repair
I just went to all the academy stores and they didn't have no nets. That was a few months ago and so I started around again and went to North Richland Hills and Arlington store and they still don't have no darn nets so I talk to the manager I say why don't y'all have any darn nets? how I'm going to get bait, I think you aren't selling the net so I have to buy some stupid lure I can't catch no fish with that in cold weather I need live bait and the guy said all we just sold all our nets and and he said there's a truck in the back and then I have more nets in it I told him he's a liar because y'all ain't have no one single net in here for 6 months you ain't getting them in and selling them real fast nobody's buying up all the Nets they want you to buy lures

Well don't keep us waiting, what lure is working best for you?? roflmao

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/27/16 06:36 PM

If academy wants to work on something they should fix their website. I should be able to search store inventory online. In general, it has to be the worst retail website around.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/27/16 06:50 PM

If you think Academy is bad then you sure as heck need to stay away from Dick's Sporting Goods unless of course you are looking for women's and kids clothes. Been in the new one off of hwy 121 3 times and have yet to find anything I was looking for in hunting and fishing.
Posted By: captaincam3

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/27/16 08:55 PM

Speaking of throw nets, where could a man get some gizzards this time of year. Creeks, gravel banks? I need a half bucket before Saturday.

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/27/16 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: captaincam3
Speaking of throw nets, where could a man get some gizzards this time of year. Creeks, gravel banks? I need a half bucket before Saturday.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/11336228/Guided_Gizzard_Shad_Trips!#Post11336228
Posted By: rdmac

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/27/16 11:36 PM

Ebay has the best prices around that I've seen.

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/28/16 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By: rdmac
Ebay has the best prices around that I've seen.

Please share some of the deals you found.
Posted By: fish_hunter

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/28/16 04:36 AM

Best deal I could find in awhile, I know it does you no good if you have a gift card but retail this is the best.

casts nets on Amazon
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/28/16 04:09 PM

Brian our Academy is out also in Ft Smith Ar..

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/29/16 02:51 AM

I sent them email and let them know that if they want to be taken seriously by Texas Catfish Anglers they have to stock some cast nets.

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/29/16 02:56 AM

Longview store has several 4' cast nets. I'm sure that's the size y'all are looking for.
Posted By: MercuryJump

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/29/16 05:17 AM

I had the same issue. They have the least expensive nets, but every store in Texas is having ordering issues. You can get them faster online from them. I just ordered a 6' for under $40.
Posted By: Caribou

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/29/16 12:59 PM

I sent them email and let them know that if they want to be taken seriously by Texas Catfish Anglers they have to stock some cast nets.

Bass fishermen spend ALOT more money in their stores. They are in the business of making money, not keeping a niche market happy.
Posted By: MercuryJump

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/29/16 02:07 PM

The Yb have a new ordering system and it has screwed up. No person orders. The system goes by what was scanned out and estimates what is needed to stock the shelves at the rate of sale based how much the item has sold in the past. Their par counts were off in the beginning, and they need a loophole where each manager can adjust the shelf count and order more or even stay an order. They have shoes that are piling up on the other side of the store because the machine thinks they will keep selling but they are no longer the popular style.

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/29/16 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: MercuryJump
The Yb have a new ordering system and it has screwed up. No person orders. The system goes by what was scanned out and estimates what is needed to stock the shelves at the rate of sale based how much the item has sold in the past. Their par counts were off in the beginning, and they need a loophole where each manager can adjust the shelf count and order more or even stay an order. They have shoes that are piling up on the other side of the store because the machine thinks they will keep selling but they are no longer the popular style.

Now this some interesting info.

Re: Academy cast nets...or lack of - 01/29/16 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Caribou

Bass fishermen spend ALOT more money in their stores. They are in the business of making money, not keeping a niche market happy.

I am aware of this. The statement was somewhat tongue in cheek. The point I am trying to make is Academy seems to be shifting more towards general clothing and sporting goods. Sometimes carrying something like casts nets is not always about maximizing your $/sf, but rather securing your reputation as "quality" provider of fishing tackle. Niche products generate foot traffic which can lead to increased sales.

Another way to look at it is market position. Unlike most private equity purchases, Academy was not bought out bankruptcy. In fact, it was expanding before the purchase. So the need to change course is questionable. I am not 100%, but I believe this is a case of kids didn't share dad's dream and cashed out.

At any rate, we don't need Academy to be Dick's. General sporting goods has not been a bull market...Sports Authority is an example of this. Academy successfully positioned itself as a quality provider of fishing and hunting products at affordable prices. It is disappointing to me to see them dedicating more sf to Sports and less to Outdoors.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum