Texas Fishing Forum

What' keeps your feet warm?

Posted By: mjmetro0719

What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/27/15 01:21 AM

I've seen this post just about every time this season comes around and to be honest I haven't given them much attention. I have a decent pair of boots and along with some good insulated socks they do a decent job keeping my feet warm, at the time I purchased them I didn't have a lot to spend on a great quality pair but this year I must have been a good dude cause I racked up some nice amounts in cabelas gift cards. As I was contemplating on what purchases I will be making i decided on getting a good quality boot, for us catanglers we know that prime fishing is when temps are unbearable to others and we are constantly checking the weather report and making plans to get out there to battle some beasts. We check our tackle to make sure there are no flaws, for boaters we check our boats to make sure we have all that we need so we can get to our destination and back safely, we pull out heavy jackets, gloves and headwear and when the time comes and we are fishing there may be some (myself included) that realized I wished I would have gotten warmer boots because my feet are starting to get cold. It is then I tell myself that I put all my effort and due diligence to have everything that I need for my style of fishing and yet I don't give my feet enough thought, for those that have experienced this we know that if your hands and feet get too cold it is gonna be a short trip out. In saying all this I would like to know your opinions on some good quality boots for those cold 20 and 30 degree temps.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/27/15 01:45 AM

Muck boots and Thermacell heated insoles. cheers
Posted By: pelican

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/27/15 01:49 AM

Mucks and wool socks, I also spray my feet with antiperspirant to keep them from sweating.
Posted By: 7777

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/27/15 02:09 AM

A good water proof boot and wool socks will be good enough most days. For those days that are going to start and stay cold all day I add the peel and stick toe warmers. They will last all day to keep your feet warm and they are cheap.
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/27/15 02:25 AM

I got a pair of Muck Arctic Sports for Christmas. I have a pair of Muck Chores also. The Arctic Sports will be a lot warmer. My feet were cold in 38 degrees with the Chores. New ones should have me covered
Posted By: jbobo

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/27/15 02:28 AM

Ladies knee highs, 1 pair of wool socks, then my fleece-lined crocs. Toes stay toasty all day!
Posted By: charlief1

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/27/15 03:15 AM

One of the best insulators I know of is panty hose. While it sounds weird, if you wear them under your long johns and wool socks they will keep you surprisingly warm. If you get cold feet as bad as I do them look at electric socks. The wader version keeps the batteries up on your belt so you can take them out easier and put them in when you get cold.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/27/15 03:37 AM

I work outdoors and wear some Muck chores with some liner socks under Simms wading socks. I can stand in the water and launch the boat and never feel cold. I just bought the arctic pro as well but I have yet to try them out.
Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/27/15 04:05 AM

2 pairs of regular socks, a pair of wool socks over em, my steeltoe CAT boots and my mr buddy with a nice hot cup of coffee!!! roflmao
Posted By: Cat finder

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/27/15 04:59 AM

I'm country... All my life stock, grocery, bag, sock. Works in -20° temps all day.
Posted By: Fishing Professor

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/27/15 06:12 AM

I use a pair of sock liners , wool socks and my Crocs, I don't like to wear heavy boots in the winter they be weights if I fall in the water, when I worked in Alaska we wore white boat boots with heavy wool socks.
Posted By: BigPoppa007

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/27/15 05:45 PM

I have these . These
Posted By: rlfisher

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/27/15 05:51 PM

I have muck boots wool socks pair of U/A socks bought boots one size bigger than I wear so with two pair of socks foot still has room to tight of boots will make your feet cold
Posted By: BigPoppa007

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/27/15 05:54 PM

These Socks
Posted By: rlfisher

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/27/15 07:03 PM

No but when I get home I see which ones I have I did get over calf they stay up better
Posted By: big10

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/27/15 11:43 PM

Muck boots and wool socks have always done it for me.
Posted By: go_cats_go

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/28/15 06:41 AM

RedHead - 8 inch - GORE-TEX - Insulated Waterproof.

Cant say enough good about them, I've had mine for 3 years and I have fished when the lines would ice up - Gore-Tex allows your feet to breath - just add some good thick wool socks. My feet are never cold!
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/29/15 12:16 AM

Wolverine 1000 gram thinsulate boots.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/29/15 12:26 AM

Wolverine 1000 gram thinsulate boots.
Posted By: GetSlimed

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/29/15 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME
2 pairs of regular socks, a pair of wool socks over em, my steeltoe CAT boots and my mr buddy with a nice hot cup of coffee!!! roflmao

No one likes a show off!!! roflmao banana

Seriously though Rick, I can't imagine your feet would ever get cold inside that luxury cabin! thumb

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/29/15 07:07 PM

Another vote for muck boots and wool socks.

Traction on an icy deck is very important to me since I have a bad back and knees. I'm always fearful of a slip and fall. Any suggestions for better traction, or to keep ice off the deck, would be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: charlief1

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/29/15 08:53 PM

I know you can get replacement felt soles for wader boots so you might be able to glue them on the soles.
Posted By: pelican

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/30/15 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: charlief1
I know you can get replacement felt soles for wader boots so you might be able to glue them on the soles.

The only thing I know that works on ice for traction is sand.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/30/15 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: pelican

I wish there had been some on the ground yesterday when I stepped out of my pickup and busted my azz in front of about 15 people at work. As for the warm feet, I just wear the Muck boots and wool socks. Sometimes my toes get a little chilly, but not too bad.
Posted By: Hoff1967

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/30/15 04:24 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Setter-Mens-SnowTrackerPac-ColdWeatherBoot/dp/B004QERH6Q

If your feet get cold wearing these, you're dead!

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/31/15 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: pelican

I was thinking about using sand or ice melt. I'm sure it would be messy but would probably be worth the clean up.
Posted By: Carver

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 12/31/15 10:20 PM

Please don't laugh.... but I wear these all year in my kayak and out. And yes I do fish all winter and in icy weather.

They have gone from being my kayak boots to being my fishing boots. I wear thin socks under them and tuck my pants into teh top.

http://shop.mariner-sails.com/Mukluk-Light-Paddling-Boots-COG-MK150.htm
Posted By: riverlifeguide

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 01/01/16 12:37 AM

I was always told why your feet and hands get cold first is because the circulation slows to protect your heart and vital organs. What works for me is I keep hand warmers in my pockets around my chest area. I also wear boots that are one size bigger with wool socks to keep good circulation.
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 01/02/16 01:05 AM

Just want to thank everyone that took the time to reply with opinions and comments, I really appreciate it!
Posted By: Chemdawg

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 01/03/16 08:01 AM

first off you need to keep them try that means from the lake water and sweat thats why battery sock and sock with armers are suck a bad Ide once your feet are wet they will get cold 2 times and fast i were boot with some instialtiong but they break and 5 paris of socks with me i change them out every few hour and i dont have a problem with cold feet living and hunting in ny you are on the gourd the hold time int he son so you take lost of stocks here is not the melted snow or water its sweet in your boot most people put on a few pars oc stocks have hi amount of isolation in there boot all that does is make your feet set you should only need on pair of shock with for txxas eve in the wonting 500g of insertions to 800 is all you need with good socks being as may pars you us feel you might need the add 2 more yes we do this in the army but i was doing it long befor that in Ny while hunting in the snow
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 01/03/16 07:55 PM

cotton sock, plastic bag ( I used bread bags or a Wal-Mart bag), cotton sock..
I done this for years in the air force wearing regular combat boots, keeps feet dry and warm.
Posted By: sapalmer

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 01/03/16 08:26 PM

Bread bag and a pair of socks.....wrapped with another bread bag and a pair of socks.
Posted By: mule29

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 01/04/16 04:25 PM

muck
Posted By: Mark's Fence Repair

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 01/05/16 05:57 AM

I wear thin socks they dry quicker but I am usually wet till I get in the truck then I drive home barefoot
Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Re: What' keeps your feet warm? - 01/05/16 03:43 PM

www.smartwool.com

I have not tried these socks, but I know a lot of snow skiers that swear by them. My brother and his family went snow skiing last year and with the package they bought everyone got a free par of these socks and he said they are amazing.

Merino wool works in weird ways, it will cool for feet in the summer and warm you feet in the winter. The key is it wicks moisture away very good. This is how the sheep can live in both hot and cold climates. It is also extremely light and soft, and does not itch like some other wools.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum