Texas Fishing Forum

Other hooks besides circle hooks

Posted By: Dwaynew2011

Other hooks besides circle hooks - 09/23/15 07:20 PM

Hey guys whats a good hook besides using circle hooks?
Posted By: J.StoneRepairs

Re: Other hooks besides circle hooks - 09/23/15 07:24 PM

Gama Big rivers. 5/0 hooks em all and it's pretty good at self setting.

Re: Other hooks besides circle hooks - 09/23/15 07:27 PM

Can you set the hook as well on these?
Posted By: Hoff1967

Re: Other hooks besides circle hooks - 09/23/15 08:09 PM

I've always had good luck with Gamakatsu Octopus hooks (Not Octopus Circle). I haven't used them in a long time because I use circle hooks these days but when I did they always seem to hook up well!
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Other hooks besides circle hooks - 09/24/15 12:49 AM

Eagle Claw or Mustad Kahle hooks have been working for me for a very long time. If you don't know when or how to set the hook by all means use circles.

Re: Other hooks besides circle hooks - 09/24/15 01:26 AM

I use and prefer circle hooks but I have a fishing buddy that have lost a lot of fish using circles. I like for the fish to rock the rod a couple of times before I pick the rod up and start reeling in. I told him he should try a different type of hook.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Other hooks besides circle hooks - 09/24/15 01:35 AM

I always used plain old stainless Eagle Claw 6/0 and 7/0 J Hooks for many years. I tried the circles and hated them. We were striper fishing one afternoon and I decided to give them a try again. I also finally let the rod rock more and it was like it was killing me to wait and not jerk that hook into the upper lip. We ended up with nearly 100% hook ups that day, and no swallowed hooks. I pretty much use the circle hooks exclusively now. I have had good success using Kale hooks with live croaker when I am after reds and specks. They work well on cats too.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Other hooks besides circle hooks - 09/24/15 01:25 PM

8/0 Gamakatsu octopus unless I'm fishing with my dough bait then I use trebles.
I've had 2lb blues completely swallow those 8/0 octos.
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: Other hooks besides circle hooks - 09/24/15 02:43 PM

Trebles!
Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: Other hooks besides circle hooks - 09/26/15 09:09 PM

I mostly use circles because I would rather lose a big fish than kill one with a gut hook, but Big Mustad J-hooks are great catfish hooks. I used them with great success years ago before I learned about catch and release catfishing.
Posted By: parttime

Re: Other hooks besides circle hooks - 09/28/15 06:11 PM

Treble hooks if I'm slip corking other than that circle hooks.
Posted By: G Love

Re: Other hooks besides circle hooks - 09/28/15 07:05 PM

Depends on your presentation and situation.

Re: Other hooks besides circle hooks - 09/29/15 11:43 AM

Well folks after catching about a 10lb flathead over the weekend he decided to stick with the circle hooks. It was nice seeing that rod bend the way that it did.
Posted By: J Lowe

Re: Other hooks besides circle hooks - 09/29/15 05:51 PM

I've been using some charlie brown hooks lately and have really been liking them. Im used to circle hooks, and that's how I've been using them, but they say you can still rip some lips with them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum