Texas Fishing Forum

thinkin I might be getting in good enough health to fish some tourneys

Posted By: tiny

thinkin I might be getting in good enough health to fish some tourneys - 05/31/15 03:29 PM

this fall... my only options is maybe some texas tournaments. I've lost about 90 lbs since last year and was able to fish a lot more often this spring ...sometimes 5 trips per week so I think I might be in good enough health to go to some tourneys this fall ... had a lot of fun in those at tawakoni and ray hubbard and always wanted to do it again but was afraid my health wouldn;t allow it as it was tough on me back then ... If I can get another hunert off I'll be able to jump over a barn so a few tournaments wouldnt be that tough ... would they
Posted By: opus

Re: thinkin I might be getting in good enough health to fish some tourneys - 05/31/15 04:30 PM

Good fer you Tiny, wish I could loose 50 but wishin aint doin it. Keep it up
Posted By: Drawout

Re: thinkin I might be getting in good enough health to fish some tourneys - 05/31/15 04:56 PM

Awesome news ! keep up the good work whatever you are doing rockon
Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

Re: thinkin I might be getting in good enough health to fish some tourneys - 05/31/15 08:09 PM

Congrats Tiny!!!! That is good news man! cheers
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: thinkin I might be getting in good enough health to fish some tourneys - 05/31/15 08:30 PM

That's good news, keep it going
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: thinkin I might be getting in good enough health to fish some tourneys - 06/01/15 12:20 AM

Good deal. I am guessing the tiny nickname was an ironic name?
Posted By: 7777

Re: thinkin I might be getting in good enough health to fish some tourneys - 06/01/15 12:27 AM

Glad to hear your starting to feel better and can get out and fish more cheers.

Re: thinkin I might be getting in good enough health to fish some tourneys - 06/01/15 11:31 AM

Brian, I was only 230 lbs when I acquired the nickname but I grew into it reaching over 500 lbs after I hurt my back in 91. I've always been big but the nickname came from a friend that worked for me in 1999 as I guess I reminded him of a drill instructor and he nicknamed me after the song "Tiny Bubbles" which is a cadence song used for marching in the military. Little did I know that I'd one day grow to livestock proportions.. after I hurt my back the doc said if I lost down to 200 lbs he'd operate on my back ... I lost 170 lbs and then my worker's comp shut off and I lost access to my physical therapy and meds ... spent the next two years laying on the floor of my living room watching tv and playing video games to keep from going stir crazy where I got pneumonia and then a few months later Afib so I figured I'd better get up off that floor else I was gonna die soon ... started fishing below keystone dam and got in a little better health but I'd already gained all the weight back plus another buck or so. It was hard to deal with the injury and added weight gain but fishing sort of kept my mind off the pain and still does as it's the only activity I have that I can do and no zombie-out. fishing on top of a lot of morphine and percacets keeps me going. Not sure why I kept going on this history of me but that's sorta how I got over 500 lbs at one point ... back down to about 390 and have plateaued for a long while but plan on buckling down and getting another 100 off this year ... hopefully anyhow.
Posted By: parttime

Re: thinkin I might be getting in good enough health to fish some tourneys - 06/01/15 12:04 PM

Glad to hear your getting healthier and feeling better. I've been through a similar situation though not as extreme. I injured my back jumping out of planes for the Army many years ago. After retiring from the Army I let myself go and put on some weight, now, one surgery later, I know the weight makes the back worse, but trying to lose it through exercise makes the back worse... But we gotta do what we gotta do if we want to be able to get around. Good luck Tiny and I hope to read post of your tournament adventures.
Posted By: Lee C

Re: thinkin I might be getting in good enough health to fish some tourneys - 06/14/15 02:09 PM

Hats off to you Tiny. Know you've had a long row to hoe. Stay after it keep the faith. You'll get to where you want to be.
Posted By: Perch Prince

Re: thinkin I might be getting in good enough health to fish some tourneys - 06/14/15 03:06 PM

Like PartTime, I hope to read of your Tournament successes. Have always appreciated your posts. You have taught me a lot.
Always hope the best for you, regardless of your weight.
Posted By: Vess

Re: thinkin I might be getting in good enough health to fish some tourneys - 06/14/15 03:09 PM

Nttc crowd im sure wouldn't mind you coming around. Next tournament is lake palestine in September. Congrats on your way to wellness.
Posted By: Vess

Re: thinkin I might be getting in good enough health to fish some tourneys - 06/14/15 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Vess
Nttc crowd im sure wouldn't mind you coming around. Next tournament is lake palestine in September. Congrats on your way to wellness.

although cooper or lavon would be better.....ijs!
Posted By: Drawout

Re: thinkin I might be getting in good enough health to fish some tourneys - 06/14/15 04:40 PM

although cooper or lavon would be better.....ijs!

I second that !
Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

Re: thinkin I might be getting in good enough health to fish some tourneys - 06/15/15 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: tiny
Brian, I was only 230 lbs when I acquired the nickname but I grew into it reaching over 500 lbs after I hurt my back in 91. I've always been big but the nickname came from a friend that worked for me in 1999 as I guess I reminded him of a drill instructor and he nicknamed me after the song "Tiny Bubbles" which is a cadence song used for marching in the military. Little did I know that I'd one day grow to livestock proportions.. after I hurt my back the doc said if I lost down to 200 lbs he'd operate on my back ... I lost 170 lbs and then my worker's comp shut off and I lost access to my physical therapy and meds ... spent the next two years laying on the floor of my living room watching tv and playing video games to keep from going stir crazy where I got pneumonia and then a few months later Afib so I figured I'd better get up off that floor else I was gonna die soon ... started fishing below keystone dam and got in a little better health but I'd already gained all the weight back plus another buck or so. It was hard to deal with the injury and added weight gain but fishing sort of kept my mind off the pain and still does as it's the only activity I have that I can do and no zombie-out. fishing on top of a lot of morphine and percacets keeps me going. Not sure why I kept going on this history of me but that's sorta how I got over 500 lbs at one point ... back down to about 390 and have plateaued for a long while but plan on buckling down and getting another 100 off this year ... hopefully anyhow.
. Wild story Tiny. Keep up the good work pardner!!! cheers
Posted By: jjason

Re: thinkin I might be getting in good enough health to fish some tourneys - 06/15/15 05:20 PM

on of my first Tourneys was at Hubbard the year Tiny came down.

We fished 200 yards from each other. I learned something that day watching him.

great fisherman.. Glad your getting down to fight'n weight again laugh

Re: thinkin I might be getting in good enough health to fish some tourneys - 06/16/15 06:28 PM

thanks everyone. I had a blast at those tournaments ... was exciting thinking that we had it in the bag when we was headed in for weigh-in and then finding out results was exciting ... that added adreno rush on top of great fishing adventures in new waters was really cool. that's what I really enjoyed about it all was the anticipation and fishing new lakes. Thought we'd won and then to find out we didn't wasn't a let down at all ... it was fun. Like... we almost got ya. Then those guys what was sayin I couldn't catch fish anywhere but keystone quit sayin it too. hahaha. Seeing how healthy of a fish population ya'll had down in texas was a treat as well after fishing these barren Oklahoma lakes for the last 15 years it was cool to see how ya'lls cpr has actually produced some great fisheries. I hope that doesn't change but I fear it will. The added excitement of tournament fishing is really something I want to do a lot more of. I have to replace some major items on my boat before I do it though and then I'll get signed up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum