Texas Fishing Forum

Circle hooks?

Posted By: Steven W

Circle hooks? - 02/28/15 08:17 PM

Me: new member that reads a lot but probably doesn't post all that much except for questions. Retired guy who is finally getting back into fishing again since most family health and other issues have subsided in large part, at least for the time being. Fish from an old 14.5' aluminum semi-vee w/ a 20hp motor and while I keep looking (contemplating an actual purchase is more like it) at newer, bigger, more comfortable hot stuff shiny boats, the present one still does the job quite admirably and additionally, new scratches just blend in with the older ones. Primarily go for catfish although have been known to chunk out various other stuff for crappie, brim and sandies when the opportunity presents itself. I fish more for fun, relaxation and getting out than to land whoppers although the occasional big one is appreciated.

The circle hook question: I've noticed that (terminal) gear has apparently changed quite a bit since I last wet gear on a regular basis and see frequent references to circle hooks. I've managed to figure out that this type of hook has apparently been used in saltwater for some time but haven't a clue why it might be better for freshwater cats than the older style "J" style baitholders or Kahle's that I'm more familiar with.
Like most fishin' peeps, I'll try about anything if it'll work better but I do like to know the why's and wherefores just because...
Thanks for any info you may care to provide...

btw: this appears to be a great forum with some really good hearted and knowledgeable anglers. With all the forums out there, I'm glad I stumbled on this one...
Thanks.
Steve
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Circle hooks? - 02/28/15 08:25 PM

First off welcome to the forum and I really like your name---
Just saying---

I use circle hooks when I'm fishing with multiple rods at a time because I don't have to be holding onto the rod to set the hook.
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: Circle hooks? - 02/28/15 09:14 PM

Don't swallow circle plus in rod holder they set themselves.
Johnny
Posted By: young cat

Re: Circle hooks? - 02/28/15 09:15 PM

Team catfish circle hooks are the best in my opinion. And welcome to the forum
Posted By: central texas

Re: Circle hooks? - 02/28/15 10:04 PM

I used circle hooks for years fishing saltwater , but it was hard for me to switch cat fishing freshwater. My answer would be I tried it hearing the argument of no gut hooking. I tried it and no guthooking, sold itself. I realy like 5/0 or 8/0 double action team catfish hooks depending on my bait size. So far these hooks hook them self and are right threw the mouth jawbone area. Try a rod setup this way and compare yourself.
Posted By: Perry1

Re: Circle hooks? - 02/28/15 10:30 PM

Circle hooks are life savers. My friends got me using them and I won't change unless someone can convince me something else is better lol I like to use 8/0 circle hooks it seems to be a perfect medium. I've caught 2-3 pounders all the way to 20+ pounders. Really all you gotta do is sit back have a few beers and just reel in when the pole goes over. I even have left rods out over night and wake up to fish still on the hook.

Perry
Posted By: Ranger7

Re: Circle hooks? - 03/01/15 04:35 AM

Circle hooks definitely are the way to go when fishing with multiple rods. I think gamakatsu octopus circle hooks are best - 8/0.
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: Circle hooks? - 03/01/15 04:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Ranger7
Circle hooks definitely are the way to go when fishing with multiple rods. I think gamakatsu octopus circle hooks are best - 8/0.

Yup!!

Re: Circle hooks? - 03/01/15 06:04 PM

Due to your responses, I think I'd better put circle hooks on my shopping list. Thanks all!
Posted By: parttime

Re: Circle hooks? - 03/01/15 08:02 PM

Yup, get some good circle hooks.
Posted By: UncleJed

Re: Circle hooks? - 03/01/15 08:23 PM

Circle hooks improved my hookset ratio a LOT...I was missing way too bites with them danged ole Kahle hooks.
Posted By: BigDave1

Re: Circle hooks? - 03/02/15 02:21 PM

Due to Arthur Itis issues I have real difficulty trying to set the ole hook when using kahle style hooks. For that reason, i switched to circle hooks many years ago. Hookset improved with no swallowed hooks. Less injuries to fish too! I tried several different brands and quickly determined that cheap hooks simply don't work as well for obvious reasons.

The hook I settled on is the Gamakatsu Series 208 offset circle hook. Its the sharpest hook I have found. A few are just as sharp but none are sharper. You have to re-learn how to fish with circle hooks. Let the fish & hook do the work! You just reel em in! smile The gama hooks aren't terribly expensive at about $10 to $12 for 25. Best hook for the money IMHO. Size 6/0 for smaller bait fishin and 8/0 for larger bait fishin. Either size will hold a trophy fish.
Posted By: hurricane 201

Re: Circle hooks? - 03/02/15 10:02 PM

Make sure you snell them, makes em work even better.
you tube is your friend, but it is very simple to do.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Circle hooks? - 03/02/15 11:50 PM

I'll be odd man out 4 0 Kahle hooks work fine for me and my hookup ratio is over 90+% and deep hook maybe 2 out of a hundred. Kahle hooks fit my pocketbook a lot better and have worked just fine for all my adult life. I lose a good many hooks and have never owned one long enough to sharpen it. I'll be in full agreement if you don't know when or how to set the hook, circles work great if you want to pick it up and start reeling.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Circle hooks? - 03/03/15 02:02 AM

they come out easy
I grew up on treble hooks & will not go back
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: Circle hooks? - 03/03/15 02:10 AM

All I use is circles. If fish goes left i swing rod tip right. Vice versa. It works folks. snell them though.
Posted By: Dusty Dooley

Re: Circle hooks? - 03/03/15 11:23 AM

All the info above is great advice. I use only circles, 6/0 to 10/0. There are many brands out there, all work, some are more expensive some less. Its just what you prefer. Circles will help for sure and make release of larger fish safe for the fish. Welcome to the forum.
Posted By: BigDave1

Re: Circle hooks? - 03/03/15 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide
I'll be odd man out 4 0 Kahle hooks work fine for me and my hookup ratio is over 90+% and deep hook maybe 2 out of a hundred. Kahle hooks fit my pocketbook a lot better and have worked just fine for all my adult life. I lose a good many hooks and have never owned one long enough to sharpen it. I'll be in full agreement if you don't know when or how to set the hook, circles work great if you want to pick it up and start reeling.

Jackie I know another great catfisherman who does the same. You know him! Chris Watson! All Chris has used on our trips was 4/0 kahle hooks. smile smile

Re: Circle hooks? - 03/03/15 03:08 PM

After checking out circle hooks at Academy while on the hunt for other items, I was somewhat surprised to see just how big the #6 through #8's were. Again, these hooks are new to me so I guess my next comment would be... I'm always been so used to catching decent channel numbers in the 1.5 to perhaps 3 pound range and blues up to maybe 4 pounds on 1/0 and 2/0 "J" baitholders and Kahles that I'm wondering how those big ol circles actually fit in their mouths or... is that part of the secret as to why they work so well? When to set the hook has never been much of an issue for me but if I'm going to swap one piece of important terminal tackle for another, I always like to learn as much as I can as thoroughly as I can.
Not doubting all the proffered advice at all mind you, just asking so I can learn more.
Again, thanks for all your comments and advice.
Steve
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Circle hooks? - 03/03/15 03:47 PM

3/0 circles will work for that size fish and bait. I wouldn't use circles if I primarily fished for channels
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Circle hooks? - 03/03/15 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: BigDave1
Originally Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Jackie I know another great catfisherman who does the same. You know him! Chris Watson! All Chris has used on our trips was 4/0 kahle hooks. smile smile

Yes, I learned from one of the best Chris Catman Watson.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum