Texas Fishing Forum

range cubes

Posted By: crankbait745

range cubes - 02/20/15 03:39 PM

What type of range cubes do I need to chum for cats? Never used chum before but thought I read somewhere that certain range cubes would float. Thanks
Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Re: range cubes - 02/20/15 04:22 PM

I have heard that less than 20% protein cubes will float. I don't know that for fact though. I do know that 20% cubes will sink because I have used them.

I have also heard that cubes dont work good until the water starts warming up a good bit. Don't know for fact. I don't fish for channels in the winter
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: range cubes - 02/20/15 06:18 PM

Sour you up a 5 gallon bucket of Milo.
Works well also.
Posted By: cva34

Re: range cubes - 02/20/15 06:27 PM

Just went in Garage and got a 20% range cube I buy at TSC and put in sink full of water went to bottom..and stayed...Milo is good but really ain't no cheaper and if you got neighbors and wife they will both complain.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: range cubes - 02/20/15 06:31 PM

cracked corn
Posted By: stubby77

Re: range cubes - 02/20/15 08:17 PM

Any range cube will I like 20 percent in hot summer ,winter the cheep stuff hope this helps .Off course I use stubby to help. roflmao fish any bait will work .
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: range cubes - 02/20/15 10:58 PM

Thanks guys. I'm going to try them when it warms up so hopefully my 9 and 11 year olds can catch some kittys.
Posted By: donothin

Re: range cubes - 02/20/15 11:51 PM

I use wheat because it is easiest for me to get and it works well. I use 2 gallon jugs with about 2 inch lid. Fill 2/3 full, fill with water and add water after a couple of days to cover. Let it ferment a few days and then tighten the lid. That will stop the fermenting and rotting and will last as long as the jug last and will not smell much while the lid is on. Easy to pour about 2-3 cups into a can which allows you to kinda sling it out over the area you wish to fish. I've heard that the kids plastic bat, sawed off works well.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: range cubes - 02/21/15 12:20 AM

A 50lb bag of chicken scratch will make two six gallon buckets of chum. Works well for a crappie hole as well as catfish chum. Then longer it sits and rots/ferments the better. I have some that is a little over a year old. Stinks to high heaven but it is a magnet for channels. Chicken scratch has corn, milo, oats, barley etc in it. I have also used dried black eyed peas in the mix. They swell up and make big nuggets.
Channels will have a belly full when you catch them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum