Texas Fishing Forum

How to fish with Stubbys bait?

Posted By: Softpoint

How to fish with Stubbys bait? - 02/18/15 01:35 AM

I just received a couple of tubs of Stubbys bait. I've used Danny Kings, and CJ's punch baits, and years ago used some dip baits, How is this best fished? bare treble hooks? spring treble hooks? How to best apply it and keep it on the hook, I tried doing a search on here, but didn't see what I was looking for.
Posted By: Demfishes

Re: How to fish with Stubbys bait? - 02/18/15 02:04 AM

What I do is get a plain treble size 6.. take a pinch of stubbys and mold it around the hook and drop it to the bottom and reel up one half to one full turn of the reel. The bait is hard to get off not like punch baits.. I literally have to slap the water a few times before the bait will come off..
Posted By: Jtrussell

Re: How to fish with Stubbys bait? - 02/18/15 02:47 AM

Works best if the bait is cold. I generally keep it in the freezer, take out the night before so it can thaw. Mash it around the treble hook and let'er rip! I fished with it under a float this past Saturday in about 3ft of water caught a nice blue with it....gonna try again this Saturday if the wind and rain hold off
Posted By: stubby77

Re: How to fish with Stubbys bait? - 02/18/15 02:55 AM

Guys I use a no4 treble hook with no weight.It got enough bulk to sink or cast well.If any body has any questions please call me and I will be glad to talk that is what I do. roflmao
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: How to fish with Stubbys bait? - 02/18/15 03:02 AM

I have tubs that have been sitting in my boat for about 18 months. They are still catching fish. I'll throw it in the bait cooler during the summer time if it gets a little runny.

Re: How to fish with Stubbys bait? - 02/18/15 03:48 AM

So just ball it up on the hook with fingers, no need to use the treble hooks with the little wire spring wraps on them? I will be giving it a try tomorrow!
Posted By: Tommie

Re: How to fish with Stubbys bait? - 02/18/15 03:59 AM

Don't need the little wire spring wraps. Get you some range cubes. Pour some in the water. Drop your Stubby hook down there and catch fish.

Re: How to fish with Stubbys bait? - 02/18/15 04:10 AM

I have range cubes, I use them almost every time I go out!
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: How to fish with Stubbys bait? - 02/18/15 06:03 PM

don't set your rod down and look away ..... roflmao
Posted By: All Tint & Upholstery

Re: How to fish with Stubbys bait? - 02/19/15 12:52 PM

Is there a way to use it where you don't have to get it all over your hands? I don't really want the lingering smell on my hands, unless it smells like Victoria's Secret models. roflmao
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: How to fish with Stubbys bait? - 02/19/15 01:09 PM

It smells like cheese. If you are fishing, there is a pretty good chance that your hands already smell worse than the bait.
Posted By: ripndrag

Re: How to fish with Stubbys bait? - 02/19/15 04:53 PM

I use a plastic grocery bag to mold the bait onto the hook

Re: How to fish with Stubbys bait? - 02/19/15 10:20 PM

Doesn't seem to smell too bad. I am going to take a bar of soap, though....I have used some punch bait before (Danny Kings) that worked pretty good, but I used a stick to push the hook into the bait. I wouldn't want that stuff on my hands although I have a fishing buddy who thinks nothing of it, wipes his hands off on his pants leg and goes about his business.. gets it on the steering wheel in his old truck too. I always ride with him when we go, so he doesn't ride in my truck..LOL..

Re: How to fish with Stubbys bait? - 02/19/15 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: All Tint & Upholstery
Is there a way to use it where you don't have to get it all over your hands? I don't really want the lingering smell on my hands, unless it smells like Victoria's Secret models. roflmao

if the models smell like stinkbait,those would be the Victoria's No Secrets Models...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum