Texas Fishing Forum

How long

Posted By: 7777

How long - 11/25/14 01:31 AM

How long do you stay in one spot waiting for the big one?

Posted By: Minnowkiller

Re: How long - 11/25/14 09:01 AM

Banking it I am committed lol I'll stay in a spot 3-4 hours usually because I'm too lazy to pack up and move
Posted By: BankfishinDave

Re: How long - 11/25/14 10:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Minnowkiller
Banking it I am committed lol I'll stay in a spot 3-4 hours usually because I'm too lazy to pack up and move

3-4 hours??? Heck, I'm there for the whole day . roflmao usually takes me an hour just to get 6 rigs baited and thrown out . rolleyes if location doesn't work out , there's always next time.
cool pic BTW 7777
Posted By: jwes07

Re: How long - 11/25/14 11:20 AM

I bankfish too. Sometimes I'll stay in the same spot for my whole trip, which is usually about 5-6 hours. Sometimes I'll pack up and move after about 30 minutes of no bites. I don't catch many big ones so I probably need to rethink my strategy...
Posted By: Justin B

Re: How long - 11/25/14 01:33 PM

Im sure some will disagree but after I get the last rod in the water 30mins. 45mins at the most. If I dont get a bite by then then they are not there. That doesn't mean I wony try that spot again later. I feel if you have fresh bait they will bite.
Posted By: ripndrag

Re: How long - 11/25/14 03:32 PM

If I'm bank fishing for flatheads, could be there all night or until I give it up, for anything else I'm moving after 30-45 minutes without a bite
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: How long - 11/28/14 10:47 PM

That's a photo i took of Johnny after a 2 day Bass-pro event years ago.... slinger he's been know to over-stay his welcome!!!!LOL
Posted By: mad_catter1990

Re: How long - 11/28/14 11:19 PM

Back when I got into fishing I fished a low head dam on the Kaw river...I have literally fished that spot for 48 consecutive hours!! I had my girlfriend bringing me good and drink..and I've done this on more than one occasion. And sadly it never really turned out good...I was only fishing that long to say I didn't get skunked. Not waiting to catch the big one. Haha those were the days

Re: How long - 11/28/14 11:20 PM

I'm actually on a fishing binge right now. I've been put on the boat on lake worth since 11pm last night...I'll be done in about an hour or so. Cuz I haven't slept a wink. And I'm exhausted. Only caught 4 fish...3 last night. 1 today. Biggest was only 26#

Re: How long - 11/29/14 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Justin B
Im sure some will disagree but after I get the last rod in the water 30mins. 45mins at the most. If I dont get a bite by then then they are not there. That doesn't mean I wony try that spot again later. I feel if you have fresh bait they will bite.

This is generally our rule as well, 30 minutes - no bites = move.

Re: How long - 11/29/14 03:28 AM

Oh. I moved spots. I just stayed at that particular dam on the river. I thought we were talking about a fishing trip as a whole...not how long at each spot. Guess my reading skills could improve a bit. Lol. I personally stay in a spot without bites for roughly an hour or so if the water is shallower than 10 ft...the reason I stay so long is because while actually getting anchored and set up and actually driving to the spot you create a lot of noise. Most of the time I'm guessing it spooks the fish from the area...especially in depths under 5 ft. And it takes roughly about half an hour for the fish to resume it's activities in the area...now don't get me wrong. I've casted out in 3 ft of water. And gotten a hit within a couple minutes. But most of the time I'm sitting there roughly about 20-30 min before I get any runs. And a lot of times after that first run its all downhill from there. I've had 5 runs in less than 10 minutes. Some occurring at the same time...but this is just my opinion and experience in this particular situation...I personally love fishing skinny water that is as shallow as 1 ft...and as you're driving up to a spot you can actually see swirls where the blue cats have bolted away spooked by the boat. But I don't worry about it I know that if I'm quiet that they will come back, normally within 20-30 min....others probably not at all..
Posted By: BankfishinDave

Re: How long - 11/29/14 05:58 AM

Fishing from the bank I'm in no hurry to move usually after the hike and work involved getting to the spot.
I've probably changed locations in a day on the bank 5-6 times since I started fishing. Usually not fishing for numbers , just a couple fish though. Have had quite a few days that have been very slow but produced some nice fish, deep or shallow water the same. Have had some days that only produced the ol' skunk also doing this but chalked that up to picking the wrong spot with the given weather conditions for that particular day.
Do understand also where fishing from a boat that this is probably not the best way to go for some.Doesn't burn a lot of time to reel them in and make the move .
Posted By: GetSlimed

Re: How long - 11/29/14 05:36 PM

Usually 30-45 minutes is about as long as I can sit in one spot without a bite.

Re: How long - 11/30/14 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: mad_catter1990
Oh. I moved spots. I just stayed at that particular dam on the river. I thought we were talking about a fishing trip as a whole...not how long at each spot. Guess my reading skills could improve a bit. Lol. I personally stay in a spot without bites for roughly an hour or so if the water is shallower than 10 ft...the reason I stay so long is because while actually getting anchored and set up and actually driving to the spot you create a lot of noise. Most of the time I'm guessing it spooks the fish from the area...especially in depths under 5 ft. And it takes roughly about half an hour for the fish to resume it's activities in the area...now don't get me wrong. I've casted out in 3 ft of water. And gotten a hit within a couple minutes. But most of the time I'm sitting there roughly about 20-30 min before I get any runs. And a lot of times after that first run its all downhill from there. I've had 5 runs in less than 10 minutes. Some occurring at the same time...but this is just my opinion and experience in this particular situation...I personally love fishing skinny water that is as shallow as 1 ft...and as you're driving up to a spot you can actually see swirls where the blue cats have bolted away spooked by the boat. But I don't worry about it I know that if I'm quiet that they will come back, normally within 20-30 min....others probably not at all..

If I'm not going far from the previous spot or when I'm getting within a 100 yards of the spot I'm going to I usually kill the big motor and use the strictly the trolling motor. Saves from spooking fish in skinny water, we fish 1 to 5 foot probably 85% of the time.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: How long - 11/30/14 01:22 AM

If it's an area I'm marking fish and I know tnere are big fish near...I'll wait over an hour...especially if I'm catching other fish.

No bites at all and not marking a lot of fish = 20 min I'm gone! bolt
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: How long - 11/30/14 03:55 AM

Originally Posted By: SalsaŽ
If it's an area I'm marking fish and I know tnere are big fish near...I'll wait over an hour...especially if I'm catching other fish.

No bites at all and not marking a lot of fish = 20 min I'm gone! bolt

+1...although sometimes I think the reason Bankfisher73 catches so many big fish is because of his dedication to one spot.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: How long - 12/01/14 04:22 PM

If i am in a spotthat has produced several big fish for me in the past it doesnt bother me at all to sit & sit & sit.....especially since most of us have side scan you can see them and know they are there....it dont mean they wont bite....but if me & chris hadnt set on fish we seen last week we wouldnt have caught a 65 a 40 a 50 and a 20 in a 5hr period...you ADHD boy's need med's!!! eek2 LOL!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum