Texas Fishing Forum

Hook or Bait?

Posted By: pixelfish85

Hook or Bait? - 05/25/14 03:06 PM

Ran my lines again this morning. Once again if I did not have fish on them I would have thought somebody had already ran my lines. I don't know if it is the circle hooks I'm using, 3/0 Eagle Claw, or if the baits I'm using are too large, 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8", but I've reduced the size of the baits to see if I can get more hook ups. It's a 25 hook setline and I'm taking 2 to 5 lbs channels off it everyday, but I'd like more if all my baits are missing every time I run it. Here are the results from this morning. First drum of the year on a trotline for me. It appears they will eat soap too, or he might have bitten a blank hook, but usually I've caught about a dozen of them by now. The lake was like glass this morning. I wish I had the time to stop and catch a limit of white bass on top as well because they were schooling hard in every cove.

Posted By: CatBoss

Re: Hook or Bait? - 05/25/14 10:48 PM

Move your line to a better area
That one isnt holding many.
You are likely getting all cruisers
Bait the hole and sit on it for 48hrs
Then start running your line again

Re: Hook or Bait? - 05/25/14 11:11 PM

So you think it is the same fish picking each bait until they get caught or smaller ones taking them? I'm still looking at better locations, but on this lake this has been one of my better spots so far, and it is hard to get to. I have some soured milo, but I have not been chumming it.
Posted By: Jared Nic

Re: Hook or Bait? - 05/25/14 11:20 PM

I would have cut that goo up and baited my trotline with it.

Re: Hook or Bait? - 05/25/14 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Jared Nic
I would have cut that goo up and baited my trotline with it.

I have better plans for him. =)
Posted By: Jared Nic

Re: Hook or Bait? - 05/25/14 11:30 PM

Yes,goo actually eat pretty good. They have a nice clean white meat.

Re: Hook or Bait? - 05/25/14 11:42 PM

That little guy got added to my frozen bait collection for when I use a rod and reel.
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: Hook or Bait? - 05/26/14 12:59 AM

Run 2-3 times a night, fresh bait catches fish and yeah you probably need to move it too.

Re: Hook or Bait? - 05/26/14 03:22 PM

Dead phone this morning so unfortunately I don't have pics, but either the rain or me switching to smaller baits (or both) seemed to work. I had one nice 5# fish and about ten 12 - 14" fish. I plan on pulling it tomorrow.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum