Texas Fishing Forum

Best chance to catch some fish around DFW area?

Posted By: OuttaLuck

Best chance to catch some fish around DFW area? - 04/23/14 11:03 PM

I have a an 8, 4, & 2 year old that love to fish, unfortunately…their attention to patience and span of interest in fishing lasts about 30 minutes. I've tried a few areas, mainly lake arlington and that greenbriar "lake", which is more like a pond...(the texas .gov site said they stock it) with no luck. Tried catfish corner, but at $3/lb plus the entry fee to get in… well, thats a little expensive…so I'm looking for some areas that might work well for a catch and release scenario that is active enough to keep some young fishers interested.

…oh, if you go to catfish corner, my 2 year old gave one of the fish his pole…
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Best chance to catch some fish around DFW area? - 04/23/14 11:08 PM

A lot of the community park lakes have plenty of perch for the kids to catch.

Re: Best chance to catch some fish around DFW area? - 04/23/14 11:21 PM

Community lakes, would that be the little ones they stock or ones like lake arlington and such?

Sorry, not from around here, moved here last june from a nightmare called Pennsylvania
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Best chance to catch some fish around DFW area? - 04/23/14 11:23 PM

Town park lakes. Could give more info if you had a location in your sig

Re: Best chance to catch some fish around DFW area? - 04/23/14 11:41 PM

Arlington, 20 and matlock
Posted By: 7777

Re: Best chance to catch some fish around DFW area? - 04/24/14 12:53 AM

Don't know anything about your area but Tom and some others can steer you in the right direction, welcome
Posted By: King_Fisher

Re: Best chance to catch some fish around DFW area? - 04/24/14 02:38 AM

First, welcome

Fishing with your kids is a great way to make memories with your kids, & starting them out young catching bluegill & a great way to keep them interested & get them hooked on fishing.

Tom is right, community ponds would be the way to go.

Get some night crawlers at Walmart & click on the bank fishing map in my signature line. There are a bunch of good spots. Mike Lewis Park (spot #91 on the map) in Irving is worth checking out. Also French Lake Park (#99} in Ft. Worth.

Good luck - love to see some pics of what your kids catch.

Re: Best chance to catch some fish around DFW area? - 04/24/14 04:37 PM

King Fisher, definitely bookmarking those maps, LOL. Anyway, I may end up going out today, depending if I can figure out how to tie a knot that won't break...the one I used up north doesn't exactly hold up to the larger fishies fight strength down here...netknots is helping me there. But, if I go out (probably will, kids are already after me, and besides, I need to replace a pole), and catch anything, I'll see about posting what they catch. Thanks again for the map!

Re: Best chance to catch some fish around DFW area? - 04/24/14 05:18 PM

Snell your hooks and you won't have any problems with them breaking. Especially use the snell with circle hooks when fishing for blues.

Here's the best method for tying a snell:

Best Snell knot

My other favorite knot which is also very strong us the Palomar. Here is how you tie a Palomar:

Palomar Knot

With these two knots you don't need to know much else as far as tying to a hook.

Re: Best chance to catch some fish around DFW area? - 04/24/14 11:18 PM

King Fisher, we went to the Grand Prairie little pond. The attention span of my kids wasn't much, but did manage to catch a few of… something…kinda small, 4-6 inches, looked like a cross between a sunny and a yellow bass, black dot on either side by top of gill.

It's good to hear you say the snell and palomar, as we were looking at netknots and decided they looked like the best ones to try out…so we spent a few minutes learning them before we went…we shall see the next time we snag a 'big' one.
Posted By: DAMFISHERMAN

Re: Best chance to catch some fish around DFW area? - 04/24/14 11:49 PM

They are stocking several community lakes tomorrow...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/urban_catfish.phtml

Re: Best chance to catch some fish around DFW area? - 04/25/14 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: OuttaLuck
4-6 inches, looked like a cross between a sunny and a yellow bass, black dot on either side by top of gill.

Like this?

Bluegill

Re: Best chance to catch some fish around DFW area? - 05/01/14 03:25 PM

Lol, yup, that was them, exactly! Sorry, working 12 hr shifts doesn't lend much time for this through my workweek
Posted By: pixelfish85

Re: Best chance to catch some fish around DFW area? - 05/01/14 07:06 PM

If you are in Arlington, Pappy Elkins Park has a large pond on it that usually contains a lot of small catfish. It has been a few years since I've fished the place, but I've caught a lot of small channel catfish off the North side with just a worm and a split shot.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum