Texas Fishing Forum

Preparing big cats for frying.

Posted By: catchemcat

Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/05/14 09:59 PM

When you get a big ole whiskers, do you try to make fillets or just cut it up into nuggets? What's your favorite recipe for seasoning them?
Thanks!
Posted By: catfishingterry

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/05/14 10:20 PM

I don't eat big ol wiskers
Posted By: HoustonCatfisher

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/05/14 11:07 PM

Fillet the fish and bake the slabs. Numerous recipes on the internet.
Posted By: LMH Steel

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/06/14 12:15 AM

What are you calling big?
Posted By: byodoc

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/06/14 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: catfishingterry
I don't eat big ol wiskers

+1. 1-4 lbs best!
texas
Posted By: stubby77

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/06/14 01:12 AM

Cut them into nuggets and deep fry.
Posted By: 7777

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/06/14 01:13 AM

2 to 10 lbs. are the best eating as far as blue cats go.
Posted By: CatBoss

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/06/14 01:36 AM

Blues 10lb max
Flatheads(Yella Cats) up to 20lb are very good eating,not as fat and greasy as Blues.
Under 15lb a Yella cat is the finest eating cat in US waters

B L E E D T H E M !!
Cut the tail OFF and bleed them out for 5-10 min before processing(hanging preferred)
Blues and flats need the red removed
I cut them in quarters down the lateral line and shave the red"tail to head"
All cleaned up they go into heavy salted water for 3-4 hrs in the fridge
Drained/rinsed and back into heavy salted water till supper time(2-4hrs)
Drained and rinsed before hitting the salt,pepper,corn meal,GREASE
Posted By: Lonestar Blues

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/06/14 05:33 AM

welcome
Posted By: dmunsie

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/06/14 09:51 AM

Fillet, then cut to size as needed. I don't soak them in salt water, but I do occasionally soak catfish, buffalo, fillets in sprite or 7up for a few hours before cooking them. Makes the fillets taste a bit lighter, sweeter, etc.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/06/14 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: dmunsie
Fillet, then cut to size as needed. I don't soak them in salt water, but I do occasionally soak catfish, buffalo, fillets in sprite or 7up for a few hours before cooking them. Makes the fillets taste a bit lighter, sweeter, etc.

^^^I do this with all fish^^^

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/06/14 04:33 PM

Thanks gents, good info!
Posted By: Indiancreekcats87

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/06/14 05:47 PM

Bleed them, shave the fat, and cut into desired nuggets.... We just cook them same as smaller fish. Belly steaks are great on the grill too!
Posted By: tako1972

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/06/14 06:57 PM

I agree with the bleeding, and I make a real brine, heating the water to dissolve the salt and sugar(if using). Great additions to the brine are lemon halves, fresh parsley(once the brine cools), bay leaf and cut garlic. peppercorns and coriander seeds used with a cautious hand are nice as well. Not unlike a brine for fried chicken.

That being said I also think you have to cut them to a size where the meat stays moist and juicy with a great crispy, just dark enough crust. Happy eating!
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/06/14 08:59 PM

I do not oppose eating what you catch. Fish are food. But, big cats are such a pain in the arse to clean I have given up on it. If you insist, cut out the red meat. The belly meat on a big blue is horrible. I never soak my fish. They are supposed to taste like fish. If you don't like fish to taste like fish eat a steak. I don't have a dog in the fight for the whole big fish versus little fish. Be smart about it. Don't waste the resource. Eat what you want to bring home. Smaller cats are the bigger bang for the buck as far as the hassle factor. I love catching big cats but almost regret doing it when the kids are in the boat because I know I will either end up cleaning them or having to have the talk about letting them go. Cats are intended to eat . It is up to you.

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/07/14 12:30 AM

I understand not trying to make a " fish taste like steak because a fish is supposed to taste like fish". But we all enhance our catch, whatever it may be, even if you just put salt on it. The original post asked how to prepare larger cats and maybe some recipes. If we could maybe steer them into some good eating, I'll do my best to help.
Posted By: JimRinTX

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/07/14 12:31 AM

I take the big ones and hang them up, skin, gut and with a sharp filet knife, I cut following the backbone. I filet all the meat off that I can, following the rib bones with the knife.

If it a big yellow, don't forget there is a good sized "steak" on top of their head to be fileted out.

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/07/14 01:25 AM

I personally dont eat big lake fish but I do eat big river fish. Me I just makes sure all the red is gone then its simply cornmeal, salt and pepper about 350-375 degrees then its chow time. This happens atleast once a week around here too. I also like to cut it up smaller than alot of the pictures of fried fish on here. Thats just the way I like it.
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/07/14 01:31 AM

Channels. Up to 5 lbs. Fillet'm out.
Blues. 2-8lbs.. Fillet'm out.
Yellow;s. 10-20 lbs. Hang'm, bleed'm out.
Steak'm out. Then cut into nuggets.

Channels: over 5. We let'm go.
Blues; over 20lbs. I "Like to let'm go".
Yellar-Cat. ANY size over 20lbs. He goes into; the-
horse-water trough; for 3 days. With fresh well-water.
Going thru the gills.
Then. Bleed him out. And start filleting. down the backbone.
Trim all the meat off.
Don't forget the Cheek-Meat.

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/07/14 01:40 AM

how do we post pictures? Thanks

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/07/14 02:15 AM

5th icon from the left has a blue arrow pointing up. Click on that and then browse to find your pic. Then click Add this file and then Save all images.

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/07/14 02:16 AM

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...hoto#Post983454

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/07/14 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
5th icon from the left has a blue arrow pointing up. Click on that and then browse to find your pic. Then click Add this file and then Save all images.

Thats a easier way. Didnt know about that.

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/07/14 02:59 AM

Thanks! here you go. hopefully I can share a meal with some of you in the future. Buttermilk fried catfish, herb and jalapeņo cast iron hush puppies. [img]http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics..._1299362707_n_1[/img]

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/07/14 03:17 AM

That didn't work.

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/07/14 04:08 AM

is there a link there for y'all? It's on mine. hmm

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/07/14 11:11 PM

Wow! Never thought I'd get this kind of response! I do appreciate all the feedback. cheers
Posted By: CatBoss

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/07/14 11:32 PM

I had acouple ask so . . . . .
The reason I soak twice in heavy salted water is to leach out "all the blood" and a good bit of the oil.
First soak pretty much gets the blood,yes the blood you can not see is still in there
Pour your first soak water off and the tint is in the water
Pour off the second soak and you will see all the murky muck that is no longer in your meat

Try it one time and youll see what you have been eating hmmm
Posted By: Angler in Training

Re: Preparing big cats for frying. - 04/08/14 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: CatBoss
I had acouple ask so . . . . .
The reason I soak twice in heavy salted water is to leach out "all the blood" and a good bit of the oil.
First soak pretty much gets the blood,yes the blood you can not see is still in there
Pour your first soak water off and the tint is in the water
Pour off the second soak and you will see all the murky muck that is no longer in your meat

Try it one time and youll see what you have been eating hmmm
+1
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum