Texas Fishing Forum

I've got the blues for the BLUES!

Posted By: bigpapafish

I've got the blues for the BLUES! - 03/21/14 12:10 PM

So I live in Killeen and I am wanting to try to get some blues this weekend, can any one tell me where might be a good spot to try. One thing.....No Boat, I will be on the bank. I was thinking of trying to find a spot on SH or Belton where the trees are in about 7'-10' and using my cast net for bait along with some shrimp. Any ideas? No, I wont be throwing my net in the trees......lol.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: I've got the blues for the BLUES! - 03/21/14 12:29 PM

Good deal on the cast net for bait, I'm sure someone has but I have never caught a Blue on shrimp.
Just stage your lines out from shallow to deep and change bait sizes up as needed and let them tell you what they want.
Good luck!
Posted By: foxracerblade

Re: I've got the blues for the BLUES! - 03/21/14 01:00 PM

You might as well forget about Stillhouse Hollow, go to Belton. Depending on the water temp you sh ould either try Mcgregor Park, Leona Park or Owl Creek Park, and before anyone else chimes in about Owl Creek- "dont go out there at night because the freaks hangout there" lol If you go to Mcgregor Park, look for the point where the old gravel road goes into the water, there is a good drop off on either side of it and it goes way out into the lake. If you go to Leona Park, walk a ways to the right from the bridge and set your lines out, if you dont mind hiking, there is a good windblown point about 1/4 of a mile from the bridge. If you go to Owl Creek, cast across the creek channel into the sticks and also put a few lines right in the channel. Shad will be tough without a boat, if you can access Cedar Ridge park and walk up Cedar Creek a ways, you can find shad up in there fairly easily. If not, try some chicken breast cut into chunks. Hope this helps, good luck!
Posted By: bigpapafish

Re: I've got the blues for the BLUES! - 03/21/14 11:02 PM

Thanks for the input, going to give it all a try. Wish me luck.
Posted By: Ken N Tx

Re: I've got the blues for the BLUES! - 03/23/14 09:12 AM

I had some luck this past week using red worms!! There was no shad to be found!!

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum