Texas Fishing Forum

duct tape cast net ?

Posted By: leeroybrown

duct tape cast net ? - 11/06/13 03:59 PM

Have read about putting duct tape on the bottom of cast net about 4 inches above weights to keep the net open in deep water . Has anyone used this method and is it worth the time. Thanks lb
Posted By: djdoubl3j

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 11/06/13 04:04 PM

Looks like it could work
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 11/06/13 04:05 PM

It isn't needed on a good panel net and probably ain't worth the trouble on a cheap net

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 11/06/13 04:15 PM

I lost my net last weekend and am going to get a new 7 footer for the deeper shad I've been seeing . I have yet to catch deep water shad so im doing a lil research on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Saturday I'm going to spend the whole day trying my hand at the deep shad.

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 11/06/13 04:20 PM

Baitbuster or joynet
Posted By: big10

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 11/06/13 04:25 PM

7' baitbuster in 1/2" or 5/8" mesh. Right now im using 1/2" mesh but the next ones I buy will be 5/8".

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 11/06/13 04:31 PM

Remember with a 1/2 or 5/8 net you will get nothing but large bait. Sometimes it's better to have some smaller bait than no bait at all. I use a 3/8 bait buster and 1/2 joynet.
Read on the specs for the net as to how big the holes get when sinking. I think the 1/2 inch stretches to 1 1/4
Posted By: 2Fish4everything

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 11/06/13 04:34 PM

Glad this thread came up. I'm looking for another good cast net. Bought 2 new ones and 1 lasted 2 throws before it got hung, the other only lasted one throw. 2 totally diff spots too. Dam the luck rolfmao

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 11/06/13 04:38 PM

Most of the time with my 1/2" mesh I catch more gilled 3"-4" threadfins in 1 throw than I could use in 3 trips combined. Id like to eliminate a lot of that and catch more 6"+ gizzards.

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 11/06/13 04:42 PM

I do keep a 7' 3/8" mesh super spreader from academy in the boat as a backup.

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 11/06/13 04:44 PM

Can you get a 7 footer in 3/8 . I like using the smaller live shad for hybrids and thr box fish too . Also will be adding 25 foot of rope to cast net.

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 11/06/13 04:49 PM

Ok I see that up there cool I usually by cheap 5 foot blue ss1000 as I catch most of my bait on rip rap.
Posted By: Buddy 76

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 11/06/13 08:09 PM

Baitbuster
Posted By: ssfireman

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 11/06/13 08:24 PM

I would say joyfish. 1/2 to 5/8 7ft. and a long rope extention. works great. you can use a bait buster which is better but you will work your butt off if you only get a few each throw.
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 11/07/13 03:14 AM

I would think the duct tape would slow down the rate of the net going down in deep water but I could be wrong, this is the first I've ever heard of this, if you try it let me know how it works
Posted By: 2Fish4everything

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 11/07/13 03:38 AM

I'm guessing if you did it you would have to put duct tape on both sides of the net and sand which the net in between. I don't believe it would hold just on one side and if it did it would just stick together when you tried to "load" the net.

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 11/07/13 04:07 AM

Yes you have to sandwich the net with tape .im going to go ahead and give it a go .I will let yall know how it works.
Posted By: CharlieA

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 11/09/13 05:05 AM

I think it would definatly help keep the net open as it went down, but like mentioned earlier it would slow the desent. I'm thinking the net wouldn't close right to hold the fish you caught. It would slow all aspects of the operation of the net.
Posted By: z289sec

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 01/02/21 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by leeroybrown
Yes you have to sandwich the net with tape .im going to go ahead and give it a go .I will let yall know how it works.

Did it work? I've been trying to find a 7 foot taped net, and so far, they've all been out of stock.
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 01/02/21 08:33 PM

OK. I will fess up and admit that I did it. Could not find a good new net in stock. I ordered a CHEAP net off of Amazon. 7' with advertised 1/2" mesh. I used just good grade silver duck tape. You have to take your time and sandwich it. I moved up about 3" from lead, and kept a solid piece running all the way around. Had two rolls of tape, one on inside one outside, and used a little TV table to lay it flat on, and just worked my way around the net. Having someone to help you makes the tape job quick. I also had a bunch of 1 oz. egg sinkers, and I tied extra weight in between each of the weights on the net. Is about 1.5 lbs per foot now... You can find stuff on youtube on this.

IT WORKS. I have thrown side by side with a decent 1 lb per foot, 7' no-tape net that works great in shallow - 10' or less water. Catch 1 or 2 shad vs. 20+ 3=6" and hand full of 8-10" shad per throw... IF you are over bait.

So for $30 dollar net, $3 worth of duck tape and probably $20 bucks worth of lead, and I added another 20' of rope, and a couple of hours of my time while watching tv, I have a net that works MUCH better than my untaped net. Not sure how long it will last, but I have been using it for a month now - 5-6 times, and it works.

This net is cheap, and I have torn a hole and already had to sew it. But that is going to happen with all nets. Now I need to decide if I want to do another one to have as a back up, or just spend the money on a good one, when I can find one.

If you can not find what you want, then dont be afraid to try it. Cheap nets from Amazon in 2 days. Couple hours and you can be dragging in bait.

Now finding the big fish is still much harder for me! lol

Good luck all. Happy 2021

Ken
Posted By: lou_a

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 01/02/21 11:26 PM

As I write this walmart has a 6' fitec net with tape for $54.13. This probably won't last long, but if you take a peek occasionally you can find decent nets at significantly reduced prices

Fitec SS1000 Super Spreader Cast Net, 3/8" Mesh,Clear with Tape, 1 lb wt
Average Rating:
out of 5 stars2 ratings, based on2reviews
Fitec Super Spreader
Walmart # 553482871
$54.13$54.13
Size. Select Option. Current selection is: 6'
Size: 6'

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 01/02/21 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by lou_a
As I write this walmart has a 6' fitec net with tape for $54.13. This probably won't last long, but if you take a peek occasionally you can find decent nets at significantly reduced prices

Average Rating:
Fitec Super Spreader
Walmart # 553482871
$54.13$54.13

Wish that one had more lb/ft.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 01/03/21 06:35 PM

I imagine you would need waterproof duct tape. I am thinking about repairing one of my taped nets. The tape has came loose in one section.
Posted By: Shadslayer69

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 01/03/21 08:44 PM

Extra wide gorilla tape works perfect. But you better add some chain or your gonna wait 20 mins for it to hit bottom in 30 foot of water. I just zipp tied a small chain along the weights from the hardware store aprox 35 feet long on my net. Added Bout 5 pounds to it.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 01/04/21 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by z289sec
Originally Posted by lou_a

Average Rating:
Fitec Super Spreader
Walmart # 553482871
$54.13$54.13

Wish that one had more lb/ft.

Just add some more weight to it. I've done it many times to cheaper nets.
Posted By: FlyFX

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 01/04/21 02:30 PM

pinch on trolling weights work for this

Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 01/04/21 02:54 PM

Deep nets have a 50ft hand line. Those cheap nets have a 30ft hand line. I got bait in 42 ft Sunday. If you add gorilla tape, extra weights, and longer hand line they will work, but for me, time is money and I don’t have time for all that. texas
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 01/05/21 01:58 PM

I have a 7' Betts Menhaden net. It is heavy (1.5 lbs per foot). I taped it (inside and out) and it works great.
Posted By: bullcrappie

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 01/07/21 03:53 AM

love to find a deal like that , shows 186.00 now

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 01/11/21 01:28 AM

I ordered the Betts from Amazon, then they sent me a notification it was not available. Found one from TAAP outdoors, for 155.00 shipped. Went that route. Hope it's in this week. Cant wait to not have to spend an hour or more catching bait, or have to go to the bluegill hole the day before.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 01/11/21 05:11 PM

I ordered the Betts from Amazon, then they sent me a notification it was not available. Found one from TAAP outdoors, for 155.00 shipped. Went that route. Hope it's in this week. Cant wait to not have to spend an hour or more catching bait, or have to go to the bluegill hole the day before.

Keep that fancy net away from the Bluecat nurseries and bridge columns! Lol...No quicker way to put a fella on tilt than to hang someone’s old crappie brush pile anchor with your fancy new net or hit 200 4-10” baby bluecats your first throw. Both hard lessons and crushing blows that will have you yelling some serious curse words. realmad
Posted By: Box Fish Hero

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 01/11/21 11:42 PM

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but I put this debate to the test 1/09/21. I’m in OK, took an 8’ Calusa (no tape) with 1.5lbs/ft and a Bett’s 7ft (factory Taped) 1.25lbs/ft net. Same mesh size on both nets, but the obvious differences being weight and tape. I threw the nets and tracked them through the shad to bottom with Livescope on a 12” screen. First and very obvious difference, the TAPED net sinks at a much slower rate, not even half the speed of the non taped net, unfortunately I did not count each throw to the bottom, but I made 12-15 throws with each net while sorting through mostly smaller shad trying to get a good amount of 10”+ shad. The second definitive conclusion, the 7’ TAPED net stayed open MUCH better than the 8’ with no tape. I have always thought I was time ahead by throwing the slightly larger 8’ heavier net, assumed faster = more shad, my comparison didn’t prove that out. The 3rd conclusion, I hands down caught MORE shad in the 7’ TAPED net. All of the throws were in 25’ of water. Obviously I did not have “scientific” controls in place but it was pretty obvious to me, the taped net holds open better and was more effective catching shad at 25’ in 42 degree water. Take from this what you will, get on a boat with Livescope, get both style nets and see it for yourself. Hope this answers your questions.

Re: duct tape cast net ? - 01/12/21 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by 🌊El Gato Azul🌊

Keep that fancy net away from the Bluecat nurseries and bridge columns! Lol...No quicker way to put a fella on tilt than to hang someone’s old crappie brush pile anchor with your fancy new net or hit 200 4-10” baby bluecats your first throw. Both hard lessons and crushing blows that will have you yelling some serious curse words. realmad

Good thing about my catfish lake, other than landing a 7 lb blue cat in it, like I did 2 weeks ago with my standard net. Not much to hang up on in the deep water, on this one. Especially down by the dam, where they really like to pack in tight.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum