Texas Fishing Forum

Full moon fishing?

Posted By: Reelexcitement

Full moon fishing? - 10/18/13 12:25 AM

What is the effect of a big moon on catfishing this time of the year? Thinking about giving Benbrook a shot tonight.

Re: Full moon fishing? - 10/18/13 01:01 AM

Another strictly catfish website reports mixed results. Some said they caught more bigger fish and some said they couldn't get a bite.
I going with the more big fish guys. See ya later
Posted By: ChuckP

Re: Full moon fishing? - 10/18/13 01:21 AM

I like any night that I can get on the water. Good luck and go get'em.
Posted By: Vess

Re: Full moon fishing? - 10/18/13 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By: ChuckP
I like any night that I can get on the water. Good luck and go get'em.

+1
Posted By: 7777

Re: Full moon fishing? - 10/18/13 01:52 AM

Can't catch them at home, don't worry about the moon just fish. I know the deer have been moving this week. I have seen deer every morning around 5:00 a.m. on the way to work. One really nice buck almost ran into the side of the truck. Ya might try going early around that time and fish til noon or so.
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Full moon fishing? - 10/18/13 02:15 AM

They ain't biting tonite. Only boated a dozen so far

Re: Full moon fishing? - 10/18/13 04:03 AM

Well something was very active out there. Nothing with whiskers but a very chunky crappie. That'll do for tonight. Next time I'm going to take a long spincast rod so I can freeline a live shad out to whatever was busting the water out there. I believe it was hybrid.
Posted By: Dougy

Re: Full moon fishing? - 10/18/13 02:58 PM

I like fishing with a full moon cuz you can see lots better!!

Re: Full moon fishing? - 10/18/13 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: 7777
Can't catch them at home, don't worry about the moon just fish. I know the deer have been moving this week. I have seen deer every morning around 5:00 a.m. on the way to work. One really nice buck almost ran into the side of the truck. Ya might try going early around that time and fish til noon or so.

Good advice,thanks. I went back this morning and they were still blowing up on the surface. I caught some shad and put a live one below my casting bobber. Had to use my ultralight to cast it out without slinging my bait off. A 20 inch hybrid is a lot of fun on ultralight gear.
Sorry I can't report any catfish news.
Posted By: CatBoss

Re: Full moon fishing? - 10/19/13 12:10 AM

Full Moon phase suck!!
If you aint out at night,after sunrise you might as well be fishing in your coffee cup
Posted By: Cyberfisherman

Re: Full moon fishing? - 10/19/13 04:44 AM

Okay Im not getting to technical here but this is what I have found. I took a Environmental Science class in college last semester and my paper was about fishing a full moon. What made sense why people don't have much luck is because when the moon cast light onto a body of water, insects are attracted to the light and usually the fish are ambushing them top side is why you may see allot of action on the top of the water. After a full night of doing this, they are gorging themselves all night and if you fish in the morning times, its a bust because they are full from the night before when it was a full moon. Scientist say the in-between time for a new moon and a full moon is the best time to fish because the fish are searching for food more in which insects are not in abundance. I don't know if this is all true or not and if it is true for cats but it was an interesting theory.
Posted By: BigJohnsonandHillCountyFisher

Re: Full moon fishing? - 10/26/13 09:58 PM

If your theory is true, it would definitely explain why I have luck with channels in very shallow water on a full moon between 9pm and 7am.
Posted By: Jamoke

Re: Full moon fishing? - 10/26/13 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Cyberfisherman
Okay Im not getting to technical here but this is what I have found. I took a Environmental Science class in college last semester and my paper was about fishing a full moon. What made sense why people don't have much luck is because when the moon cast light onto a body of water, insects are attracted to the light and usually the fish are ambushing them top side is why you may see allot of action on the top of the water. After a full night of doing this, they are gorging themselves all night and if you fish in the morning times, its a bust because they are full from the night before when it was a full moon. Scientist say the in-between time for a new moon and a full moon is the best time to fish because the fish are searching for food more in which insects are not in abundance. I don't know if this is all true or not and if it is true for cats but it was an interesting theory.

Good Info Thanks!
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Full moon fishing? - 10/27/13 01:27 AM

A full moon don't hurt catfishing no matter what the book says. I don't believe the moon has much effect on freshwater (non-tidal) fishing.

It sure does make it easier to see the rod tips.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum