Texas Fishing Forum

what am I doing wrong?

Posted By: Bluecatkayak

what am I doing wrong? - 08/15/13 03:26 PM

The past couple of times I have gone out, I have been skunked. Not even a bite. I am shore fishing in a rocky area with some small treed sticking out of the water, about 2-8 feet deep depending on how far you cast out using anything from chicken liver, live bream, cut bream, CJ's and sure shot. I even took some worms out last time. And nada. Also this is just off a major current caused by a water pump that is pumping water out of the lake. It was actually fairly clear where it was when the wind calmed for a bit.

So what am I doing wrong? Maybe the fish are just being difficult?
Posted By: Minnowkiller

Re: what am I doing wrong? - 08/15/13 03:29 PM

Try some cut shad next time you go out, it may just be a dry spell for ya we've all been there believe me lol just keep hitting them until you catch one and get the momentum back
Posted By: G Love

Re: what am I doing wrong? - 08/15/13 05:09 PM

There's no fish there
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: what am I doing wrong? - 08/15/13 05:55 PM

Dog days of summer!! Might try a little deeper water
Posted By: BigJohnsonandHillCountyFisher

Re: what am I doing wrong? - 08/15/13 05:58 PM

Keep trying. You'll catch something. Everyone has bad phases
Posted By: FishesWithCork

Re: what am I doing wrong? - 08/15/13 07:09 PM

Bite has slowed down for me also (bank / rock / stick bait). Not sure where you're fishing, but on Hubbard the wind has gone from S/SW to almost due east. I know this is messing up some of mine. My Dad used to say fish wouldn't bite when the wind was out of the east... smile

Like Tom said, dogdays.
Posted By: G Love

Re: what am I doing wrong? - 08/15/13 07:35 PM

Orrr move to a windblown bank where the water goes from deep to shallow and fish it at night. That's just what i'd do though
Posted By: 7777

Re: what am I doing wrong? - 08/16/13 01:17 AM

Definately location, try a new area and deeper water.
Posted By: Bigmike1984

Re: what am I doing wrong? - 08/16/13 01:46 AM

I think you got the right depth. But try to run an gun Technique. Set up no bites move set up no bites move. Got to locate the fish. If you are using that bait and there are any channels in the area you should have got something.

Good luck.
Posted By: Buglemintoday

Re: what am I doing wrong? - 08/16/13 01:54 AM

Don't give up. Which lake? I may be able to give some advice.

Justin in Midland
Posted By: Mani

Re: what am I doing wrong? - 08/16/13 09:08 AM

There's a chance they're not there, but it could just be bad luck.

The past couple of trips (dating back to July 3) with my brother he's catching them and I'm stuck watching. Last time it was him 7 catfish, me 0. If it wasn't for shad, carp and baby cats in the throw net I wouldn't have anything.

Before this run, though, I was constantly catching them.

If you're going from bank try moving around even just a little from your spot, as he's catching them sometimes just 10 yards down the bank.

Re: what am I doing wrong? - 08/16/13 02:49 PM

Thanks for all the help guys!! Hopefully I can get back out there again sometime next week!

Re: what am I doing wrong? - 08/16/13 05:37 PM

I figured out why I didn't catch anything the other day, I didn't realize it yesterday, but a minor cold front came through and I walked outside this morning and realized that it was kind of cold. The fish were probably in deeper water. I'm assuming and hoping so anyways.

At least I have something I can blame now hammer
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum