Texas Fishing Forum

Losing bait

Posted By: 6thman

Losing bait - 07/15/13 07:25 PM

We did some drifting for catfish over the weekend using shad. Most were fresh or even still alive. We lost numerous baits and didn't even realize it. Or, we would get one bite and our bait would be gone. Any thoughts? Maybe not hooking the shad correctly? We only caught a couple of channels doing that.
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Losing bait - 07/15/13 07:28 PM

Dink fish and sandbass!!
Posted By: young cat

Re: Losing bait - 07/15/13 07:31 PM

Or turtles oh how i hate turtles lol
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Losing bait - 07/15/13 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: tgravley aka stinkbait tom
Dink fish and sandbass!!

This-
We fished Bardwell two weekends ago and we caught 3 channels under 6 inches-and some small sandies-
Not sure where you were but that lake has a ton of sandies in it.
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: Losing bait - 07/15/13 07:50 PM

I would agree with all 3 above. Bardwell, if that's where you were, has alot of small channels and small sandies. I was out Saturday night as well, not much action to be had.
Posted By: 6thman

Re: Losing bait - 07/15/13 07:57 PM

Yes, on Bardwell. The times we went out last summer we caught some nice keeper blues and a few channels. This past weekend was the first time we had been out. We did try some sand bass later in the day and found one school but they were all small. I guess they can be great bait stealers. Thanks for the responses.
Posted By: SmellMyfinger

Re: Losing bait - 07/15/13 09:31 PM

I was missing some bites this past weekend so I downsized to a 2/0 circle hook with a small chunk of shad and started catching some smaller channels and yellow bass. I also had fewer channels swallow the 2/0 than a 8/0
Posted By: 7777

Re: Losing bait - 07/16/13 01:00 AM

definately drifing through the nursery.
Posted By: Hawkfish

Re: Losing bait - 07/16/13 03:26 AM

rolfmao The nursery! Next time take a crappie rod along and toss out a little piece of fillet on a #1 hook. You will find the culprit! Gotten myself out of many skunky situations that way and had fun doing it! cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum