Texas Fishing Forum

question about setting drag

Posted By: chris4x4

question about setting drag - 05/12/13 05:46 AM

OK how do y'all set your drag I've heard to leave it loose so the fish runs with it and swallows it I've also heard to have it tight so the fish pulls and hooks him self I would appreciate any insight.
Posted By: dmunsie

Re: question about setting drag - 05/12/13 07:17 AM

A good starting point is to put your rod in a rod holder, aim it almost straight up and start pulling line. Adjust the drag so the rod bends when line comes out.

If you're using braided line, you can really tighten down the drag and let the rod bend do it's job.

I know there's a general rule of thumb something like, adjust your drag to x% of the line lb test, I don't have that number off the top of my head, sorry. lol..
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: question about setting drag - 05/12/13 12:10 PM

I use 25.# mainline and usually have the drags tightened all the way down using circle hooks.
Posted By: shane_s

Re: question about setting drag - 05/12/13 12:14 PM

Tug o war mono by team catfish and lock the drag down.
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: question about setting drag - 05/12/13 12:29 PM

I have mine set to about 5lbs of drag. I can always tighten if necessary.
Posted By: Justin B

Re: question about setting drag - 05/12/13 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: tgravley aka stinkbait tom
I use 25.# mainline and usually have the drags tightened all the way down using circle hooks.

thumb same here
Posted By: catfishguy85

Re: question about setting drag - 05/12/13 03:00 PM

If you are flathead fishing from the bank you want your drag loose so the fish feels no tension....or use a baitfeeser spinning reel that has a double drag setup

Re: question about setting drag - 05/12/13 03:11 PM

OK thanks for the info ill just leave them set with tension on them
Posted By: Blues

Re: question about setting drag - 05/12/13 03:16 PM

A flathead will load up a rod and hook himself with circle hooks, just like blues will.

I have all my drags tightened all the way, like tom said. If the fish feels 20+ I'll back the drag off a little if I think I need to. Abu's will release drag with 30lb line, even when it's tightened all the way down.
Posted By: 7777

Re: question about setting drag - 05/12/13 03:19 PM

Depends on the line weight you are using, I set the drag on mine to where I know it will pull drag before the line breaks.

Re: question about setting drag - 05/12/13 04:16 PM

Yea I've got 50lbs braided and abus
Posted By: catfishguy85

Re: question about setting drag - 05/12/13 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Blues
A flathead will load up a rod and hook himself with circle hooks, just like blues will.

I have all my drags tightened all the way, like tom said. If the fish feels 20+ I'll back the drag off a little if I think I need to. Abu's will release drag with 30lb line, even when it's tightened all the way down.

Not all the time....
Posted By: DAN-O

Re: question about setting drag - 05/12/13 10:50 PM

Braid digs in...especially if you get hung up and try to pull it loose. I use the clicker with loose drag when fishing a bunch of rods at once, or night fishing. I would rather lose a fish than lose a rod...and you can always tighten down on them once you secure your rod in hand. My .02.
Posted By: ChuckP

Re: question about setting drag - 05/12/13 11:14 PM

I have my drag set so that if a big one hits it can pull some drag till I get there. You can always tighten up during the fight. I don't want to break a rod or tear up any gear. Just my 2cents.

Re: question about setting drag - 05/13/13 12:53 AM

Yea I had it dig in bad yesterday when I hung up but there ain't much you can do
Posted By: DAN-O

Re: question about setting drag - 05/13/13 01:55 AM

Carry a screwdriver with you and wrap the braid around it until you can pull with it throufh the rod eyes...that will help with the digging in when hung up.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: question about setting drag - 05/13/13 11:29 AM

I use both tight and loose drag. When I'm in the fight I adjust my drag loose when they get to my yak. They see the boat and go for a good run.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: question about setting drag - 05/13/13 12:36 PM

I just guesstamate it.
Posted By: turbofred

Re: question about setting drag - 05/13/13 03:19 PM

I set mine at 5 lb.! That way i don't have to worry about breaking anything!
Posted By: onebaddj

Re: question about setting drag - 05/13/13 03:53 PM

I use 7-10 ft salt water rigs with clickers and live liner reels. My bait or strike drag is set by feel nice and light to let line out delending on wind conditions for the main drag I use my digital scale to get about 1/3 or 1/2 of the rated breaking strength of the line with the rod bent. I never fuss with the drag once a fish is on.
Posted By: Vess

Re: question about setting drag - 05/13/13 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: 7777
Depends on the line weight you are using, I set the drag on mine to where I know it will pull drag before the line breaks.

+1
Posted By: redchevy

Re: question about setting drag - 05/13/13 05:22 PM

A lot of it depends where and what im fishing for.

Big fish in timber I tend to have it heavy off the bat and will loosen as the fish gets closer to the boat.

Open water I will leave it light and tighten it accordingly. The lakes I fish I end up catching a lot of redfish also if you crank the drag you will break off a lot even with braid, maybe not all the time but have watched several people do it.

matt
Posted By: pcf

Re: question about setting drag - 05/13/13 05:24 PM

First rule is to make sure your rod holder can support the drag setting.

I set my drag at 3 pounds and haven't had any problems setting circle hooks or needed to tighten the drag on a fish under 15 pounds.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum