Texas Fishing Forum

Easiest way to find fish on New lake

Posted By: webbangus

Easiest way to find fish on New lake - 02/25/13 08:42 PM

I am fishing Lake Proctor and having a hard time finding the cats. All the other species are fine just cant find the catfish. Any tips? Been using shad, dip and prepaired cheese baits.
Posted By: big10

Re: Easiest way to find fish on New lake - 02/25/13 09:28 PM

Best way to find fish one a new lake is get you some fresh shad and drift. Cover water. Im unfamilar with proctor but I like drifting in water around 30' deep.

Re: Easiest way to find fish on New lake - 02/25/13 09:36 PM

Proctor is 5 ft low now and is average 20 ft deep. I will try the drifting.
Posted By: big10

Re: Easiest way to find fish on New lake - 02/25/13 09:41 PM

How deep is the deepest area on the lake?
Posted By: catfishguy85

Re: Easiest way to find fish on New lake - 02/25/13 09:41 PM

I heard and seen some nice blues come from proctor. Nice size channel cats too
Posted By: jasoniam

Re: Easiest way to find fish on New lake - 02/25/13 09:47 PM

what I would do is get ahold of a navionics app of some.sort....look at it kinda like a topo map u use fishidy find you points and flats and things like that. study those maps and you can find success...I have done that myself bank fishing and have been productive...get a couple spots that look good and go scan them with your fish finder...

Re: Easiest way to find fish on New lake - 02/25/13 09:50 PM

I have found lately by the way that the good cats around 5-10 fow....that's where I've seen success at lately....but I have seen a few caught in deeper waters just not as much...but anywho good luck and let us know how ya do...

Re: Easiest way to find fish on New lake - 02/25/13 09:50 PM

I have found lately by the way that the good cats around 5-10 fow....that's where I've seen success at lately....but I have seen a few caught in deeper waters just not as much...but anywho good luck and let us know how ya do...

Re: Easiest way to find fish on New lake - 02/25/13 09:58 PM

At the deepest accourding to the corp of engineers is 35 ft. I have never saw any over 28 on my depthfinder when the lake was full. I have been trolling with lipless crankbaits as I looked for holes and flats. Seems like the lake is very flat. have caught some small channels over holes I bait with sour grain. Tore the whites up with the crank baits. Most stories i hear on the big blues and yellows are from jug fishing wich is fine but nothing like reeling one in.
Posted By: Don G

Re: Easiest way to find fish on New lake - 02/25/13 09:58 PM

Most of the cats being caught recently are on jugs. Try Rush Creek in the sticks with cut shad for blues. Also a lot being caught in the sticks and onion valley in the north end 4' to 6' of water although this cold front will probably foul that up for a few days.
Posted By: LakeLass

Re: Easiest way to find fish on New lake - 02/25/13 10:38 PM

y'all over think this stuff way too much.

best way to find fish is show up at the lake with a loaf of fresh baked bread, beef jerky, cheese and sweet tea. park your rear next to a local who is bankfishing and offer to share your food.

Re: Easiest way to find fish on New lake - 02/25/13 10:45 PM

Thanks Don.

Re: Easiest way to find fish on New lake - 02/25/13 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: LakeLass

You can overthink fishing...WHAT??????
Posted By: Don G

Re: Easiest way to find fish on New lake - 02/26/13 01:45 PM

best way to find fish is show up at the lake with a loaf of fresh baked bread, beef jerky, cheese and sweet tea. park your rear next to a local who is bankfishing and offer to share your food.

Better replace the tea with beer or Jack D or both if you want any information out of the locals on Proctor.
Posted By: LakeLass

Re: Easiest way to find fish on New lake - 02/26/13 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Don G

Better replace the tea with beer or Jack D or both if you want any information out of the locals on Proctor.

rolfmao

hammer
Posted By: Mark's Fence Repair

Re: Easiest way to find fish on New lake - 02/26/13 04:55 PM

Scuba divers always find big cats!
Posted By: opus

Re: Easiest way to find fish on New lake - 02/26/13 05:17 PM

Do ya have a depth finder ?
Posted By: BDMcGee

Re: Easiest way to find fish on New lake - 02/27/13 03:06 AM

Pot licking a Guide Boat is the easiest - maybe not the safest tho wink
Posted By: ChuckP

Re: Easiest way to find fish on New lake - 02/27/13 03:54 AM

If you have side scan on your sonar you can cover alot of water that way. I won't usually put bait out if I don't see fish down there. Never been to Proctor though. Good luck.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum