Texas Fishing Forum

No Blues

Posted By: Trebor Neil

No Blues - 10/29/03 09:59 PM

Hit the lake at 6:20 AM, very little chop,, birds all over the place, roosting,, we snuck up on the trees and started getting hits, bam-bam-----Dammitt, all channels, every place we tried,, 12-18' ft, 3-6', no matter where,,all channels,,,, most were about 20", so not bad fish,,,but where in the heck are the blues? Even tried the sticks,,, no blues... was using Sure Shot on Lake Lewisville ---West side
Posted By: rogc

Re: No Blues - 10/29/03 10:32 PM

We usually catch the blues in deeper water. I actually prefer the channels over the blue cats.
Posted By: Texas-Fisherman

Re: No Blues - 10/29/03 10:48 PM

The only reason I take channels over blues, is because they seem easier to skin!!

------------------
Mike J.

I'm so good I should be a guide.........
Posted By: Duck_Man

Re: No Blues - 10/30/03 12:34 AM

Did you try shad? Or have you had good luck with blues using punch bait before?

Re: No Blues - 10/30/03 12:42 AM

Have always kicked a__ with Sure shot, especially in the sticks on blues,,,, just bought a cast net 5',,, have only one hand so its a son of a gun to cast, may be too big, think I'll return it for a 4'

Like the idea of shad,, but never any luck with frozen...
Posted By: MikeC

Re: No Blues - 10/30/03 12:02 PM

Hooker, I'll go catch your shad for you, if you'll point me to where I can catch them 20" channels as you describe. What a problem to have, catching all those good eating size channels???

Must be due to all that bass fishin you do??
Only reason I'd eat one of them slimy, mushy meat high fins would be because the firm meated channels were nowhere to be found.

------------------
Mike
www.WhiskerKitty.com
Posted By: Sharon Hill

Re: No Blues - 10/30/03 12:54 PM

Where can you find sure shot, I live in Allen, we have been useing DK and it works fine, would like to try something else though. Sharon
Posted By: TxCatfishGuide

Re: No Blues - 10/30/03 01:50 PM

The only places that have sure shot other than myself or benny is the Buck Creek Store at Ray Roberts.

There was a man in Denton selling it from his home but it is no longer going to be available there.

------------------
The Texas Catfishing Resource
Redneck's Catfish Bait Soap
Redneck's Juglines
Posted By: edd7560

Re: No Blues - 10/30/03 02:09 PM

Like you mentioned Hooker, the trick is finding them and I bet that sure shot will deliver for you like it has before. If you're having trouble getting shad try catching some perch on rod and reel and cut them up. I've had luck on the edge of creeks in about 15 to 20 feet of water. good luck
Posted By: rogc

Re: No Blues - 10/30/03 02:37 PM

Are you guys doing better with punch bait than shad under the birds? All we use is shad and we do pretty good.
I have a friend that was wanting to use punch bait and I was telling him that I thought shad was easier to work with.

------------------
I can catch catfish from dusk til dawn........

Re: No Blues - 10/30/03 04:06 PM

Mike,
I do agree that a channel has a good taste, But, my lady has a way of doing either one delicious.
I think it's all a matter of choice, I like the way a blue takes the bait, also like the size and fight
Sorry about the location of the fish, will just tell you its west of I-35 (enough?)
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum