Texas Fishing Forum

Jet Skiers

Posted By: DickAnderson

Jet Skiers - 01/19/03 05:48 PM

Friday night I chummed my favorite holes,gassed my boat up,and couldn't sleep!Saturday morning around five I headed out with my boy and two friends, and it didn't take long before we started pullin'em in!
After about thirty min. four grown men in wetsuits came roaring around the bend on JETSKIES! I didn't believe what I was seeing or hearing! I calmly motioned them off, that only made them want to play games with me. Soon they were flipping me off, you know the white trash salute, messing with Texas(throwing beer cans at me.)
Is it just me, or does something need to be done about this?

Disgusted @ Lake Gladewater,
Dick
Posted By: shawn

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/19/03 07:08 PM

write down their TX numbrs of their jetski's and report them....let tpwd slap em around a little bit !

------------------

Posted By: Fisherman Ed

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/19/03 07:42 PM

The lakes are full of a$$h@@@s!! Definitely write down their TX # if you can read it clearly and report them. Unfortunately idiots and morons will always be among us. Its a shame fishermen can't go about their leisure fishing without being harrassed

------------------
Ed Utley

Posted By: Txbiker

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/20/03 03:30 AM

Could "accidentally" hook one . Make for a heck of a fight .
I'm just kidding

------------------
If you don't like they way I'm livin, just leave this long-haired country boy alone
Posted By: One More

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/21/03 02:14 AM

I feel your pain. It has happened to me on numerious occassions. If you have the ability. Take your video recorder with you a catch the event on tape. Then you can turn the tape over to the TPWD for evidence, because if you don't its your word against theirs. If the conduct is bad enough they could pay fines as well as lose their jet skis.
Posted By: jigmeister

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/21/03 03:35 AM

Get a water balloon launcher and have a blast!

[This message has been edited by jigmeister (edited 01-20-2003).]
Posted By: Britton

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/21/03 05:23 PM

Tie on a heavy weight. Good target practice!

------------------
Happy Trails and Tight Lines!
Britton...
Posted By: Heysdad

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/21/03 05:59 PM

I found that a real big spoonful of Bill's Dip Bait launched just right makes the whole thing better real fast. If that don't do it check the ramp parking lots for their ride (I'm sure they were the only jetskiers out there) and let the air out of all their tires. There's just nothing like being cold and tired after a long day of pissin off fisherman, and coming back to a Parkinglot of flat tires...Bummer....LOL
Posted By: Jeff Schiller

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/21/03 11:15 PM

Cliff, I disagree with you completely. They will mess up some fishing in one way or another. I do realize they are there to have fun too...that part is fine...but have fun a couple hundred yards away from fishermen. There's usually enough room for them to roam around without hasseling someone.
I too have had bad experiences with jet skiers. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything we can really do about it. My instance was when trolling for sand bass on Grapevine, my partner and I both had lines out at a very reasonable length and a jet ski crossed over them very close to the rear of the boat. The jet sucked in our lines and we almost lost our rods over the deal. Kind of fun for a second, thought we had big fish on .
I cranked my 200 Johnson up and went after him. I caught up to him in short time and flagged him down. Then I gave him a considerable piece of my mind.

Then, there are always the times when I'm happily sitting in the middle of surfacing sandies and a couple of jet skis come right through the middle of them.

The only option that I can see is to have more law enforcement on the water. And law enforcement that will watch out for some of these wackos...skiers, jet skiers, boaters, fishermen, swimmers, kayakers, sail boats...everybody. The enforcement officers have to know what is right, wrong and just plain dumb on the water without just looking for alcohol.
No offense intended to the fine people in our law enforcement agencies.

My .02

------------------
Happy Hookin'
-Jeff
Posted By: redfinŽ

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/21/03 11:50 PM

I copied this directly from the www.tpwd.state.tx.us/boat/wsdigest.htm "Operation of Personal Watercraft":

OPERATION OF YOUR PERSONAL WATERCRAFT
NOTE: Children under 13 are specifically prohibited from operating a PWC unless accompanied on board by a person at least 18 years of age.

All operational rules for regular motorboats also apply to PWC. In addition to those requirements, it is unlawful for any person to: (1) operate a PWC if the operator is under 16 years of age, unless the operator is accompanied by a person at least 18 years of age or the operator is at least 13 years of age and has successfully completed a boating safety course approved by TPW; (2) operate PWC at night (sunset until sunrise); (3) operate PWC within 50 feet of another PWC, motorboat, vessel, platform, person, object, or shore except at headway speed without creating a swell or wake; and (4) operate a PWC and jump the wake of another vessel recklessly or unnecessarily close.

Also, under "Operation of Your Boat", "It is UNLAWFUL for any person to:", then read point 3 and point 10 which would apply to PWC (Jet ski's) as well.

All I can tell you is get their registration number and report them. Cameras are a blessing as well.

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/22/03 01:47 PM

Sound good, I like the idea of video!
Posted By: Txbiker

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/23/03 12:16 AM

paintball gun!!
Now that's the ticket

------------------
If you don't like they way I'm livin, just leave this long-haired country boy alone
Posted By: Sharon Hill

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/23/03 01:51 AM

I was fishing the power plant at lavon once and a guy went inside the bouys on his jet ski and all it took was motioning him out and showing him my cell phone. He didn't show up again. Sharon
Posted By: falcon

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/23/03 09:16 PM

Clifford must be a PWC owner.

FL
Posted By: Pparrish

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/24/03 06:17 AM

You deleted messages, so now mine made no sense.
Philip
www.whiskerkitty.com[/b]]www.whiskerkitty.com

[This message has been edited by Pparrish (edited 01-24-2003).]

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/24/03 01:28 PM

Can someone tell me just where the satisfaction comes from for someone to take a shot at someone else for mispelling a word. We are talking fishing here not grammer or spelling. DickA I have enjoyed this post, don't let someone come in here and start on you. It hasn't been tolerated in the past and it won't be now. Sharon
Posted By: CLIFFORD IVERS

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/24/03 04:53 PM

WHY DID SOMEONE REMOVE ME?

[This message has been edited by CLIFFORD IVERS (edited 01-24-2003).]
Posted By: David Lee

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/24/03 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CLIFFORD IVERS:
WHY DID SOMEONE REMOVE ME?

[This message has been edited by CLIFFORD IVERS (edited 01-24-2003).]

Calm down CLIFFORD one of the Wardens probably erased it because you guys were getting carried away. If you notice his were removed also. This is not a forum to start trouble on for anyone we talk about fishing and have fun. Just let it go and keep posting and learning.

------------------
David

[This message has been edited by dlee1996 (edited 01-24-2003).]

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/24/03 05:11 PM

THATS COOL- IM GAME. JUST THOUGHT IT WAS ALIITLE FUN TO CHANGE IT UP SOME!
Posted By: Keith Stone!

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/24/03 05:24 PM

Although some of the other rules would apply to the jet skiers, this is the law that they are obviously violating and the crime that they would be charged with.

§ 62.0125. Harassment of Hunters, Trappers, and Fishermen
(a) This section may be cited as the Sportsman's Rights Act.

(b) In this section:

(1) "Wildlife" means all species of wild mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, or amphibians.
(2) "Process of hunting or catching" means any act directed at the lawful hunting or catching of wildlife, including camping or other acts preparatory to hunting or catching of wildlife that occur on land or water on which the affected person has the right or privilege of hunting or catching that wildlife.

(c) No person may intentionally interfere with another person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife.

(d) No person may intentionally harass, drive, or disturb any wildlife for the purpose of disrupting a person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife.

(e) No person may enter or remain on public land or enter or remain on private land without the landowner's or his agent's consent if the person intends to disrupt another person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife.

(f) This section does not apply to a peace officer of this state, a law enforcement officer of the United States, a member of the armed forces of the United States or of this state, or employees of the department or other state or federal agencies having statutory responsibility to manage wildlife or land during the time that the officer, member, or employee is in the actual discharge of official duties.

(g) A person who violates this section commits an offense. An offense under this section is a Class B misdemeanor.

(h) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution that the defendant's conduct is protected by the right to freedom of speech under the constitution of this state or the United States.

Added by Acts 1985, 69th Leg., ch. 731, § 1, eff. Aug. 26, 1985.

Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 700, § 1, eff. Sept. 11, 1993.
Posted By: Fishin' Dave

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/24/03 05:53 PM

Hey dick.....How deep where you chummin' your holes?

Dave
Posted By: Fisherman Ed

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/24/03 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CLIFFORD IVERS:
DICK-U SURE GOT ALOT OF STUFF STIRRED UP AT THIS POST! ARE YOU PROUD?

I personally have no problem with Dick's post. The problem appears to be with some of
the respondee's.

------------------
Ed Utley

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/24/03 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fisherman Ed:
I personally have no problem with Dick's post. The problem appears to be with some of
the respondee's.

I DIDNT SAY THERE WAS A PROBLEM W/POST. I LIKE IT ALSO- IM TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE RESEARCHING INFO FOR THE DEBATE ABOUT JET SKIERS AND ALL... MAYBE U SHOULD THINK FIRST!
Posted By: fagin007

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/24/03 09:41 PM

ok enough, can we move on to some good ole fish stories!! Everyone have a wonderful weekend!!!

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/26/03 02:05 AM

Fishin' Dave,
It all depends on my fish finder readings, I love channel cats so when I see alot of dots together, I start chumming!

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/26/03 02:10 AM

P.S.

Cliff, It is a good idea if you read the "code of conduct".
Posted By: David Lee

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/26/03 02:32 AM

I can see the wardens will have to lock this one up.

------------------
David
Posted By: ewilson

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/26/03 02:56 AM

I have also had other fishermen fly by close to me while I have lines out. We should all try to be more considerate of each other while underway.

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/26/03 03:46 PM

I like Sharon's idea of waving a cell phone at them!

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/28/03 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DickAnderson:
I like Sharon's idea of waving a cell phone at them!

lets just talk fishing ok? this post is getting old

Re: Jet Skiers - 01/28/03 06:30 PM

Ok, basically this one is done, hope some of you can move on . I'm locking it up. Sharon
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum