Texas Fishing Forum

Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok...

Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/25/12 08:37 PM

Ready to have a little fun? wink Those Sunday winds hit really hard about 2:00pm, not 4 hours after arriving 7 miles from the boat ramp. After the 50+mph winds hit, we decided to head to the ramp (Gary, I almost called you to pick up my kiddos)

I had been in similar water offshore, and knew the boat could handle it. But, I also knew it was going to be an hour ride and wet one at that. Kids had on rainwear and had bean bags to absorb the shock.

I'm glad the boat had self bail decks...I took two gushers over the bow but it was all gone in less than a minute.

Memories for sure...

Enjoy

Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/25/12 08:42 PM

Scared me just watchingl

Posted By: jpenwell

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/25/12 08:44 PM

Great vid salsa glad you got in safely.

Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/25/12 09:02 PM

Glad everyone is back safe. I've been in some big stuff also offshore and inshore. I've decided there's not a fish swimming that's worth that anymore. There's always another day.

Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/25/12 09:38 PM

I am pretty sure one of you has a phone that you can get weather updates on!!!

Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/25/12 09:47 PM

nothing like hearing the prop of a 20+ foot bay boat as it whines thru the air...

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/25/12 09:47 PM

But where I was fishin' wasn't too bad wink

Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/25/12 09:48 PM

Looks like smooth sailing to me. That monster boat of yours really smooths things out.

Posted By: Dominoman

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/25/12 09:55 PM

Glad ya'll made it back safe, that a heck of a run to have to make in those conditions.

Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/25/12 09:58 PM

Michael I know the feeling you must've had. I've been offshore in my boat and had no worries about myself or the boat. It's my kiddos that get my attention. I've never been on Twok but I've been on Ray Roberts a couple times when it was sporty. The ability to stand and drive makes a good amount of difference in rough conditions.

Nice boat handleing.

Posted By: LouRobinson

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/25/12 10:02 PM

Good to see everybody well and living to fish another day, good job at getting back!!!!

Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/25/12 10:04 PM

I can remember crossing Aransas Bay with 6 to 8 foot rollers in my friend's 27' Mako. Me and his soninlaw were sitting on the seat in front of the console back to back and holding on to the oh chit handles like bull riders. When we'd hear that prop in the air we'd know the next time we hit we were getting slammed hard.

Our poor croaker died in the baittank. It was very sad.

Posted By: Bobby-Catfishing

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/25/12 10:15 PM

Looked like a wild ride. Was that a stump just off the left side of the boat right at the 3 minute mark?

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/25/12 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby-Catfishing
Looked like a wild ride. Was that a stump just off the left side of the boat right at the 3 minute mark?

nope. a jugline that appeared to me to have a fish on it. For just a nano second I thought about stopping to check it. wink

Posted By: cathog

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/25/12 10:57 PM

I had a trip that day that we ended up going in at 9:30am and rescheduling for another day. No way would I have wanted to put customers through that beating LOL. Glad yall made it back in OK. I would have picked up your kiddos no problem and had them laughing the whole way around the lake on dry land to meet you, in how you were going to look like a wet dog when we saw you again LMAO.

Posted By: T-MAC

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/25/12 11:22 PM

Glad u made it safely Salsa. I know iv been in some scarey times on that lake in that

Posted By: DAMFISHERMAN

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/25/12 11:56 PM

Deadliest Catch!

Posted By: steveiam

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/26/12 12:08 AM

WOW!

What a ride!

Posted By: Spud--Cattin Around Adventures

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/26/12 12:15 AM

Reminds me of the Cabelas tourney.

Posted By: David Lee

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/26/12 12:29 AM

Glad y'all made it back. Looks like a rough wet ride.eeks

Posted By: Brushlunker

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/26/12 12:44 AM

Been there done that.

Posted By: Larry in Tawakoni

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/26/12 02:15 AM

Just curious... is that a vbottom boat or flat bottom? If it's a V bottom... trim up a little and itll cut right through em!

Oh and get ya a seat belt and a bass seat up front... PHEW what a ride!!!

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/26/12 02:22 AM

I imagine it is a v bottom.

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/26/12 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Larry in Tawakoni
Just curious... is that a vbottom boat or flat bottom? If it's a V bottom... trim up a little and itll cut right through em!

Oh and get ya a seat belt and a bass seat up front... PHEW what a ride!!!

I wish. Motor was so trimmed up it cavitated the entire time. It's a big V for a bay boat. Waves were just too much for it to cut right through them. What you can't tell in the video is the boat is standing up and front is a good 6 to 7ft up above waves...thats how big the waves are. wink

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/26/12 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER™
Michael I know the feeling you must've had. I've been offshore in my boat and had no worries about myself or the boat. It's my kiddos that get my attention. I've never been on Twok but I've been on Ray Roberts a couple times when it was sporty. The ability to stand and drive makes a good amount of difference in rough conditions.

Nice boat handleing.

I have stood in conditions like that driving and i've sat as a passenger and I will stand if I get the change. Those knees are good shock absorbers. thumb

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/26/12 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: catfishsalsa
Originally Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER™

Nice boat handleing.

I have stood in conditions like that driving and i've sat as a passenger and I will stand if I get the change. Those knees are good shock absorbers. thumb

Yep I would rather standthumb

Posted By: Got the Fever

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/26/12 03:14 AM

Looks a little painful. But how was the fishing...unless that was in another thread I missed...

Posted By: ER74

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/26/12 03:27 AM

Imwas on lavon Sunday and we got a beating as well!

Posted By: jjason

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/26/12 05:25 AM

Salsa,

Im going to be the "un-cool" furom guy for a minute....

I know you can handle your rig and have experience with the limitations of it.... Those were some minor nose "Spears" you took on.

You can get t-wok waves so far apart that it can put the nose of your boat 2+ feet below surface in a heartbeat. This can throw your boat sideways quikly. Then its just a [censored] shoot from there as you know. I too have done some , what I would call "stupid" stuff on that lake. My point is ... I bet
you were severly wishing you had not done this and would recomend that folks dont try it. It is just is not worth it. Here again, I have ... cross waved ... BY MY SELF. The intire time I was making piece with the man because I knew it could end any minute. I am not trying to letcure you and know you you can handle your rig. I just want folks to know that these conditions are DANGEROUS and should be avoided at all cost...

I am proud of you for getting your crew back to the dock safely,( I know about how far you went). I also want others to know , please dont think this is a good plan of attack on this lake in these condidtions...even with a really big rig like this one.
It can eat you up.......

Now, before all of you guys that dont know me start to hammer me for this , please realize that I am not judging Mike for this. I just dont want folks that dont realize how tough t-wok can be try this . Salsa can take what I said, and he knows me . Im just concerned for his and others saftey.

Like I said . I HAVE DONE REAL STUPID STUFF MYSELF.

Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/26/12 05:41 AM

I don't see you post as Bagging on Salsa Jason. It's good to point out the dangers from a 2nd perspective. Sometimes being "that guy" is necessary to help those that might see this and think "well that guy did it and made out ok".

Posted By: Lewisville Catfishing

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/26/12 05:42 AM

Agree 100% with you Jason. It only takes one bad wave out there this time of year, and you don't get another chance. Fishing aint worth dying over. Call for someone to pick you up at a safer ramp nearby out of the wind or try to wait it out if you have to. Got nothing against Salsa at all and I know we've all done some not safe/smart things on the water. I did get freaked out a bit however when I saw the kiddos in the boat at the end. Be careful out there guys, none of us want to be reading or hear about a fellow TFFrs in a lake accident.

Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/26/12 06:24 AM

You really haven't had fun until you made a run across the lake on a windy day in an aluminum modified-v bass boat. Now I would never recommend venturing out in that kind of wind on that kind of lake. On a day much less windy than that I have taken 25 or 30 of those drenching waves. I never felt like the boat was in danger, but I have been thankful for H2O bibs and jacket on many occasions.

Carribou can tell you a small fiberglass boat isn`t much better. RDZ and I Carribou and his partner had lots of fun at NTTC Ray Roberts. We hid out in a couple of coves Larry told us about and didnt bring a fish to the weigh in...but at least we stayed safe..but even changing coves wasn`t that fun.

I think I would of parked tied that boat up to the dock and got someone to take me to my tow vehicle.

It was a cool video and you have a very nice boat. We just want you to be careful.

Posted By: anyfishwilldo

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/26/12 04:00 PM

That's why I dont get out on Twok with it real windy, I have been out in my 20' F&S & know it was handling waves just fine, then all of a sudden you get one of those Jason is talking about & believe me if you don't have self bailing or a toon you just cant imagine how much water you can get in an instance from one hit. And once you have one you will probably get a lot more if you can't get the nose up high enough while your waiting on the bilge to catch up. I come out of rabbit cove & I remember once getting on plane coming out of the cove by myself heading south & before I knew it I was already thinking Oh ####. I had to head to the state park cove just to turn around & then went straight back & told myself never again. There have been more than a few boats at twok that haven't been so lucky. Definitely need a self bailing boat or toon for me to even venture out in 20mph wind.
...Don

Re: Take a Ride w/ me in Rough Water on Twok... - 01/26/12 04:13 PM

Jason,

Your observation is dead on and well taken. And, I agree with your point completely. I should have been more honest w/ the forum and explained the situation better than making it just “entertainment.”
Folks, Jason is right. No matter what boat you own, tackling a big lake in big winds is beyond reasonable. However, there are times when you are in situations on the water and conditions change and it’s in those conditions you have to make decisions, and make them fast. For the last 4 years, I have run this same 24ft boat offshore out of Port O’Connor. Depending on forecast and sustained weather patterns sometimes I push it a little and make it to the first breaks out 40 miles or so. Again, choosing your days and knowing your gear is extremely important.
Now, saying that, Tawakoni threw a curve ball at me. I expected it to be windy, but not that windy, and I didn’t expect the “turbo” to kick in at 2:45p.m. when the winds went from 25mph to 50mph and wave heights went from 3-4 to 6-8. Perhaps in my ability or “non-ability” to judge the winds was my biggest issue. Regardless, I found myself in an area on the lake and faced a decision. Looking at the wave heights vs. what I have taken my boat in in the past, judging the air temperature (low 70’s) and analyzing the entire picture I decided to head back to the ramp. Let me say this: I would have not considered the run if I had not been in worse water on previous trips to the gulf or if the air temperature would have been cold. As mariners, we all have the responsibility to make the best decision not just for our self, but for the others on the boat.
A couple of things I want to point out. Where I fished that day is not “where” I wanted to fish, however, it was the best place considering my conditions. Let me explain. The cove I fished was exactly in the path of the waves. I was able to ride the waves there and come directly into them on my ride home. The area I “wanted” to fish would have led me quartering the waves and I knew I would take on twice the water and had a much more treacherous ride coming home angling the waves vs. cutting them.
Looking back now, I would have waited another day to get out on the water. We did catch fish, but the beating w/ took was not worth the reward and I think that is the point Jason is trying to make and he has made a good one.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum