Texas Fishing Forum

What type of live well for big catfish?

Posted By: Rick from campbell

What type of live well for big catfish? - 12/21/11 09:35 AM

Was just curious what guys in tournaments use to keep those big cats alive. I know the biggest my pontoon will hold is a few 15-20 pound fish. So just picking your brain for some ideas. I just might have to fish a tourney or 2 come next year. thanks.

Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: What type of live well for big catfish? - 12/21/11 11:35 AM

Large icechest with an aerator.

Re: What type of live well for big catfish? - 12/21/11 11:45 AM

I gotcha, figured it would have to be a good sized box and areation. thanks tom

Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: What type of live well for big catfish? - 12/21/11 12:05 PM

In cold weather, turn the aerator off on the way to weigh in. If not they will give you a beating!!! Lol

Posted By: Lga043

Re: What type of live well for big catfish? - 12/21/11 12:19 PM

I have a large ice chest and also a big tub, if I get lucky enough to catch enough fish to fill the ice chest, then I will fill up the tub, I have an air head aireator that floats and puts air into the water, I got it at academy, they sell for $29.95, and a bilge pump that I throw over the side to fill up the ice chest and the tub, and to take the water out of them, if I use the tub also I will usually put the bilge pump in it to circulate the water! 2 tubs would work fine, I just had the big ice chest.

Hope this helps,

Posted By: parttime

Re: What type of live well for big catfish? - 12/21/11 12:37 PM

Here is a thread with some pictures of mine. I have upgraded it since and am still working on it. Right now I have a new pump to recirculation and an air pump with two air stones.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...ole#Post5656195

Re: What type of live well for big catfish? - 12/21/11 12:39 PM

lol I hear ya tom, thanks it all helps. gives me an Idea of what I would need If I happen to land some nice kitties during a tournament. thanks guys.

Re: What type of live well for big catfish? - 12/21/11 12:44 PM

that looks good parttime, nice job. that would sure foot tha bill.

Posted By: turbofred

Re: What type of live well for big catfish? - 12/21/11 05:30 PM

This is what I have bought and it is very heavy duty! It will hold up to 200 lb. of cat fish. Just hang it over the side of your boat!

Re: What type of live well for big catfish? - 12/21/11 06:49 PM

Looks like it would work but putting it back in the boat might be a chore but you would have a lot more room in the boat that way!!!

Posted By: cathog

Re: What type of live well for big catfish? - 12/21/11 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: turbofred
This is what I have bought and it is very heavy duty! It will hold up to 200 lb. of cat fish. Just hang it over the side of your boat!

I like this one best of all, no water changes, no oxygen problems, no ammonia buildup, fish are in the lake where they can thrive.

Re: What type of live well for big catfish? - 12/21/11 07:19 PM

I will let you know the first time I get to use it!

Posted By: Dblaow (Mr Intensity)

Re: What type of live well for big catfish? - 12/21/11 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: cathog

I like this one best of all, no water changes, no oxygen problems, no ammonia buildup, fish are in the lake where they can thrive.

+1 thumb

Posted By: trlrman

Re: What type of live well for big catfish? - 12/21/11 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Lga043
Looks like it would work but putting it back in the boat might be a chore but you would have a lot more room in the boat that way!!!
start targeting smaller fish larry ! LOL

Re: What type of live well for big catfish? - 12/21/11 07:36 PM

But I want to catch a big one, I havn't got a 60 yet this winter, now I want a 73+ for the fish off

Re: What type of live well for big catfish? - 12/21/11 08:07 PM

What happens when your in line at a weigh-in, your fish have no water. That is not a good option in my opinion.

Re: What type of live well for big catfish? - 12/21/11 08:15 PM

It's just for the boat so you don't have a big tub in your way!when you dock you put them in a tub!

Posted By: T-MAC

Re: What type of live well for big catfish? - 12/21/11 08:19 PM

But I want to catch a big one, I havn't got a 60 yet this winter, now I want a 73+ for the fish off

I havent caught a 60 yet either. Theres two fish that I am after 73+ or 65+ to break my PB

Posted By: hookem horns(Keith)

Re: What type of live well for big catfish? - 12/21/11 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: T-MAC

I havent caught a 60 yet either. Theres two fish that I am after 73+ or 65+ to break my PB
........Lake Worth! I hear that glow-in-the-dark 75 lber calling my name!!!!!!!!!........ thumb

Re: What type of live well for big catfish? - 12/21/11 09:12 PM

It's just for the boat so you don't have a big tub in your way!when you dock you put them in a tub!

Alright, now that might work. Unless you have along boat ride... smile

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum