Texas Fishing Forum

Question for the Flathead Guys...

Posted By: txwhitetail

Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/25/11 10:36 PM

After catching that giant today I would like to go back and try to catch some more of these big cats. I could see 10-12 of them on this spot on my side imaging. They are sitting just below a drop that goes from 4ft-12ft along a river channel.

What would be the best bait rigs to go after these big fish?

As you can see I am a Bass Guide but would like to take my wifes grandad out to try to hook him into one of these.

I have some Garcia 6500s on big swimbait rods I could use. They have 30lb big game on them.

Any info on a rig/bait to try would be appreciated.

Posted By: William64

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/25/11 10:38 PM

Live bait would be best. Perch or mudcats will work.

Posted By: *Mr. Fabulous*

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/25/11 10:38 PM

im not a flathead guy but live perch is most common......in Europe they use big lures mainly for flatheads.........

Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/25/11 10:41 PM

Anchor off that ledge and 3 way rig a dozen poles with live perch on them. Get a bigger net!!

Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/25/11 10:49 PM

Definitely need the bigger net. Terrible trying to get them in by hand. I know a pond with a lot of perch I will try that.
Thanks

Posted By: Catfish Lynn

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/25/11 11:35 PM

If you know the exact spot, I will post the best next YellowCat times (days) to try for 'em later this evening. Supper time now.

Posted By: G Love

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/25/11 11:37 PM

i like to use a slip sinker rig with 2-4 oz weight with a 8-10 in leader, keep it short, the perch struggle more. its all about vibration!! thats what theyre after, if theyre there theyll eat it. go at night for best success, i like to use 5-10 in perch or mudcats dont be afraid to go big. good luck bud

Posted By: Catfish Lynn

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/26/11 01:03 AM

Best as to my experience for Yellows would be perch. But sometimes in March, they tend to leave them alone, I have found gigantic shiners work well in that slot.

Now as to rod-n-reel techniques I can't help you much as I'm a set-liner.

Today was a ZIP day, so that tells me you had a bunch of Yellows suspending in this hot water. You managed to find one that could not resist.

Even though my Catfish Calendar shows BFT (Buffet) for Sep 30th & ZIP for Oct 1st, they are hidden YellowCat days from their "roam/feed" circuit or switch. Next round will be 8th thru the 10th as to YC days. This is their 3 day run, then the cycle repeats (7-2-7-2-7-3 & repeat). The "roam/feed" being on the 2/2/3. Sometimes there is an overlay, therefore I show the most powerful one, but the YellowCat pattern seems to stay consistent.

For more info, see:
A 3 part info article on the Catfish Calendar & 2010 thread:
<http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5176857/1>

2011 Catfish Calendar thread:
<http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/6032595/1>

And of course prime time for Yellows are from about 11 PM until 5 AM. And the Gator Gars run just ahead of the Yellows, so you might lose your perch or catch some of them. But if you do, you know the Yellows are not far behind them.

Posted By: brando

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/26/11 01:35 AM

although i know many disagree with me i have caught numerous flats on fresh cut bait

my typical setup is 5-6 rods each with a different bait till i find what they like most of the time i use cut shad live shad cut perch live perch and smaller carp when i can get them try to use something similar to what you used to catch that one today and it may produce as well

Posted By: Magged Out

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/26/11 01:49 AM

Personally! Have never caught a Flathead on perch. Alway's on fresh cutbait!! Gizzard Shad or Threadfin will do. Throw a Buffet at em' with perch and cutbait

Posted By: *Mr. Fabulous*

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/26/11 02:41 AM

seen on internet onetime guys using them waterdog lizards........

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/26/11 04:50 AM

Youre right brando. During the spring while i fish fior them, i will throw out large cut shad, and live shad. i dont even mess with perch when theyre coming out of their wintering holes they dont touch em. at least for me

Posted By: chikenfrie

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/26/11 12:35 PM

when i target them i like to put out live gizzards and perch, also throw out cut bait as well. if there roaming they will hit anything that looks good to them, if there spawning, live bait will piss em off and take off with it! cant wait till spring!!

Posted By: James Tucker

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/26/11 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: chikenfrie
when i target them i like to put out live gizzards and perch, also throw out cut bait as well. if there roaming they will hit anything that looks good to them, if there spawning, live bait will piss em off and take off with it! cant wait till spring!!

+1

Good info there. Don't be scared to put some really big baits out.

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/26/11 12:45 PM

i like to use 6"-8" in the creeks around jams and smaller ones if im trying to cast em out far from the bank.

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/26/11 12:58 PM

I really like 10-14" gizzard shad.

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/26/11 01:25 PM

WOW!! the bigest shad i caught was a 12"er where do ya find 14" zards at?

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/26/11 01:38 PM

Here in Waco. Right time of year you can load up on those big uns.

Posted By: Magged Out

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/26/11 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Hauler's Guide Service
I really like 10-14" gizzard shad.

eeks Love that look!! When i tell em' it's just Bait

Posted By: Mell

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/26/11 02:00 PM

Big +1

Posted By: CatfishMike

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/26/11 03:14 PM

If they were suspended right under a ledge and not that close to the bottom, I would use a perch on a slip bobber and try dangling it right in front of them. If that did not work, i would use a klonker to try and get them out from under the ledge to investigate the sounds.

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/26/11 07:22 PM

Hey chikenfie how big is that one in your sig pic??

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/26/11 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: CatfishMike
If they were suspended right under a ledge and not that close to the bottom, I would use a perch on a slip bobber and try dangling it right in front of them. If that did not work, i would use a klonker to try and get them out from under the ledge to investigate the sounds.

Klonk the hell out of them smile laugh

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/26/11 07:50 PM

scale said 65 lbs but it was a 9 dollar scale from Dicks that could also tell you the air temp.... but im saying 70+

Posted By: 2Fish4everything

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/26/11 08:09 PM

scale said 65 lbs but it was a 9 dollar scale from Dicks that could also tell you the air temp.... but im saying 70+

Awe come on Chickenfrie the scale said 56.1# duel grin cheers

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/26/11 08:17 PM

awe man! thought i told ya to keep ya mouth shut on it! haha

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/26/11 08:54 PM

Haha Well its def a dandy

Re: Question for the Flathead Guys... - 09/27/11 12:51 AM

Thank you, I was targeting them pretty hard this past spring and got him the night before the Tff fattie flattie tourny...

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum