Texas Fishing Forum

Being Poor Sucks

Posted By: *Mr. Fabulous*

Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 09:17 AM

I just spent 1 1/2 hrs patching up a $30 castnet! I know most of yall would've just cut the weights off and sheetcanned the rest of it and bought a new net tomorrow ( and not a $30 one -yall'd get them $80-$100 ones).................... but if'n I buy a new $30 net i wont have no gas $ to go bank skunking......... freak
Posted By: Catfish Bubba

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 11:11 AM

at least you got the gas to go
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 11:23 AM

At least you have a job
Posted By: sam sam the mex

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 11:28 AM

i am sorry to hear!!! i hate being poor too!!! only one more year and we will be off bankruptcy and in the money!!
Posted By: chikenfrie

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 11:54 AM

i hear ya on this one, i live pay check to pay check.. but i dont get paid worth a dam and im looking for another job.
Posted By: catcrap

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 11:54 AM

lmao preaching to the choir boss, most people rich enough to do that probably just hire guides any damn ways, or go out in their fancy boats
Posted By: T-MAC

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 12:23 PM

Lifes a garden YOU HAVE TO DIGG IT frown
Posted By: D.D.R.

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 12:24 PM

DCM, If you will start re-using your tampax instead of buying new ones every week you could afford a $100 cast net! If you need a cast net Ill sell you a 6'er cheap! grin
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 12:49 PM

Don't feel lonely I am usually fixin a net at least every other trip!!!
Posted By: William64

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 12:50 PM

Spent many hours in the floor repairing nets. This reminds me, I need to repair a net tonight. I've repaired paired nets when half the weights were pulled off.
Posted By: Philpot

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 12:55 PM

Hang tough, sir. Patching $30 nets will still be a great habit even when you have cash to burn.

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 01:03 PM

this sounds frustrating! iv tried to repair a net and it never worked right again. melted the weights into 3 oz bank sinkers tho! =)
Posted By: chuckwagon

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 01:17 PM

You don't need mo money....just STOP throwin' the net into STUMPS!! and SNAGS! and OLD CAR PARTS!

Therrrrrrrre ya go!! grin
Posted By: Fireshadow

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 01:22 PM

I promise you. If your able to post on this forum. Your better off than atleast 80% of the global population.
Posted By: acwil

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 01:34 PM

bahaha "Bank Skunking"...I'm going to start calling what I do bank skunking instead of fishing. I like the way it sounds and it describes what I do at the lake better than fishing. And I'm so scared to tear my net up I throw it at the same spot every time cuz I know theres no snags there lol
Posted By: CatfishAddiction

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 01:37 PM

If it makes you feel any better Kevin, I have a job but I still can't afford to get my fishing license until next week. I have two kids and a wife though, so you know where most of the money goes...those pesky kids, always complaining that they want to eat...jeez. Lol.
Posted By: young cat

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 01:39 PM

I was the same way thats why i moved my family to the oil fields. It sucks not being able to fish every week but it is worth it in the long run
Posted By: CatStalker

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: DontCatchMuch*
I just spent 1 1/2 hrs patching up a $30 castnet! I know most of yall would've just cut the weights off and sheetcanned the rest of it and bought a new net tomorrow ( and not a $30 one -yall'd get them $80-$100 ones).................... but if'n I buy a new $30 net i wont have no gas $ to go bank skunking......... freak

Your not alone. I have to patch mine every week.
I have a $40 super spreader that looks awful but it'll still net bait.
I wasn't so sure about it after my last patch job so I stopped by walmart on my way to the lake Sunday night and bought a $30 frabill.
The new one just didn't feel right to me. So I used the super patcher and got er did.
Now atleast I have a spare if I get in a pinch.
Posted By: Magged Out

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 02:30 PM

Ahhh!! Remember if we could find the Can's with the Marbles inside!! Had you a Rod& Reel with an alarm bannana2 Spark Plugs for weights.
Posted By: Army Chief

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: T-MAC
Lifes a garden YOU HAVE TO DIGG IT frown

From one of my most favorite movies. Joe Dirt!
Posted By: Sirjet

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 04:05 PM

If you look in the fishing manual it say's in order to catch fish you have to do whatever it takes. i patch everything. Why? cause it give me a reason to go and try it out to see if it works. FISHING AGAIN YES
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 04:18 PM

DCM you could always get your wife to take a 2nd job in the evenings or something. Times are tough and we all gotta buckle down and stay focused.

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 04:25 PM

Man Kevin, if it helps, my company is looking for technicians...decent pay, hours are good...real basic skills required, a decent set of hand tools is all you need.
Posted By: LakeLass

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 05:13 PM

i have posted on here before that a company i work for is always looking for good/reliable/responsible help. contract position doing maid/cleaning for residential, apartments and commercial. office located in mesquite, but service the entire DFW metroplex.

work can be hard, long hours - but that's what you gotta do.
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 07:45 PM

I just patched my boat motor back together with JB Weld. If you fish you will spend most of your time fixing stuff.

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 07:51 PM

Some would rather whine than work
Posted By: TuN3R

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 07:51 PM

Not having a job sucks frown
Posted By: SOCALCARPER

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 08:01 PM

im in the same situation pay check to paycheck my fishing license been exp since may just got it 2 days ago and thats after selling my vehicle i ended up down grading but as long as i get to work and back and able to go fishing again im all for it.
i was out of a job for about 9months at one point in my life but i got off my butt and went to a agency which was the last thing i wanted to do. but it worked for the best. to anyone with out one if there IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY!.......(well if your not injured or have some type of medical condition)my mom hasnt had one in 5years plus she hurt her back and now nobody wants her but she sticking it out social security and all savings ran out but shes hanging on.

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 08:02 PM

what kind of technicians catfishaddiction?? im always looking for a better paid career opertunities
Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 08:28 PM

My wife just got bumped down to part time at her job. She was having trouble getting there on time every morning and they were having issues with her having to leave for kids appointments and stuff. Good news is they worked it out with her to go part time and she will have more flexability thru the week and as long as she gets in 24 hours every week she keeps her bennys.
The pay cut will kinda suck, but having a healthier, happier, less stressed out wife will more than make up for it.
She is a nurse and loves her job so I feel like she is taking a huge one for the team and putting the kids and me first.
My job has no flexability. You pretty much gotta have a doctors note that says your dead to miss work up here.
Posted By: chuckwagon

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: tgravley aka stinkbait tom

MY CUZZINS!! cheers

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 09:36 PM

Wow lots o responses!......ya we're not exactly poor just broke alot.......I know alot of ppls are worse off for sure.....

It was just after about 45 minutes of "sewing" with fishing line and still seeing tears I was like "THIS SUCKS!" But I kept sewing and zip tieing. thumb

Gonna try out my patch work net tonite.....hope it still works okay.....I tossed it in the driveway last nite....not exactly round but not a taco....and one side closes up/pulls in alot better.....hope I dont snag it again cuz don't think it'll survive..... cheers
Posted By: ChuckP

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 09:44 PM

Everytime I fell down about my situation I just think about other people. There are many who have it a whole lot worse than we do and most people in those situations don't complain as much as we do. But on the other side of the coin it doesn't hurt to get it off your chest, just don't dwell on it.

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 10:04 PM

Guesse I'll call it my custom net cuz i just threw it in driveway and in mid air it resembles the state of TEXAS........... clap
Posted By: bcat65

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 10:10 PM

Guesse I'll call it my custom net cuz i just threw it in driveway and in mid air it resembles the state of TEXAS........... clap
As long as the net opens, that is what counts!
Posted By: albertking

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 10:35 PM

not plum broke but badly bent
Posted By: Purple fishies

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 11:34 PM

Has anyone tried making their own net? I found some instructions online with the needed materials.
We don't have a net and can't afford one yet. I'm willing to put the time into making one myself though if it will save some money.
Posted By: big daddy double digits

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By: chikenfrie
i hear ya on this one, i live pay check to pay check.. but i dont get paid worth a dam and im looking for another job.
fort worth fire department trainee
Posted By: LakeLass

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: tgravley aka stinkbait tom

nuff said

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/08/11 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: big daddy double digits

Really? I've got a good buddy that is a Capt. for FWFD. I'll have him stop by the academy and meet you.

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Purple fishies
Has anyone tried making their own net? I found some instructions online with the needed materials.
We don't have a net and can't afford one yet. I'm willing to put the time into making one myself though if it will save some money.

no way.....patching up a ripped one was frustrating enuff
Posted By: Jake Wright

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 01:54 AM

I guess this isn't exactly what the thread is about, but since we are on the subject of mending nets, is there anyway to repair a net with broken main draw strings. I am not sure the correct terminology for them, but the strings that pull the net closed. I have on where I broke a few of them, and was wondering if I could fix it anyway.
Posted By: Purple fishies

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 01:54 AM

LOL.
Well, I sew, crochet, knit and spin my own yarn so the net making would kind of go right along with this.

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER

Really? I've got a good buddy that is a Capt. for FWFD. I'll have him stop by the academy and meet you.
i took the test so maybe he can meet me and pull some strings lol i heard they gotta fill 4 academies
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Jake Wright
I guess this isn't exactly what the thread is about, but since we are on the subject of mending nets, is there anyway to repair a net with broken main draw strings. I am not sure the correct terminology for them, but the strings that pull the net closed. I have on where I broke a few of them, and was wondering if I could fix it anyway.

Here ya go Jake,

http://www.learntocatchcatfish.com/how-to-repair-cast-net

Lots of good info here.

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Jake Wright

Pick up some same size mono and attach them where the old ones were
Posted By: Jake Wright

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 02:13 AM

appreciate it guys. Sounds easy enough tom. This forum has been great.
Posted By: Destroyer

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 02:58 AM

So I ain't the only poor guy???? I wish all us poor guys could afford to get together and drink beer and cry in our beers and bank fish together.... and fix each others cars....and buy each other gas....and cast nets....and flip off the bass boaters as they go by....oh.....sorry....I got carried away...

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Destroyer
So I ain't the only poor guy???? I wish all us poor guys could afford to get together and drink beer and cry in our beers and bank fish together.... and fix each others cars....and buy each other gas....and cast nets....and flip off the bass boaters as they go by....oh.....sorry....I got carried away...

Its called Gvine Bankfest Sept 24th!!
Posted By: Destroyer

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 03:24 AM

I'm too poor to go that far...LOL . However, my inlaws live in Justin and my wife has been wanting to head up there. Maybe I can make it. Is that a Friday or Saturday?

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 04:27 AM

stop complaining i make 50 bucks every 2 weeks, i have a job that i can only work 1 day a week cause it aint got no business

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 04:46 AM

Sat 6pm-midnight
Posted By: Bankside Bartman

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 05:03 PM

stop complaining i make 50 bucks every 2 weeks, i have a job that i can only work 1 day a week cause it aint got no business

Do you have to worry about putting a roof over your head, feeding your wife and child, keeping the utilities on, and paying for gas and repairs on a vehicle? Your a kid you live with your folks, enjoy the freedom to have 100 bucks left over after all that I have to pay would be a bonus. When you grow up and have a family and real responsibilities you will know what people are talking about.

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Bankside Bartman

Do you have to worry about putting a roof over your head, feeding your wife and child, keeping the utilities on, and paying for gas and repairs on a vehicle? Your a kid you live with your folks, enjoy the freedom to have 100 bucks left over after all that I have to pay would be a bonus. When you grow up and have a family and real responsibilities you will know what people are talking about.

Easy now.........$50 every two weeks sucks even for a Kid........Who Knows, BDDD may have plenty of womens to tend to..........

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 05:41 PM

Easy now.........$50 every two weeks sucks even for a Kid........Who Knows, BDDD may have plenty of womens to tend to..........

But we all know they are uber rich super models that he keeps around as playthings. They pay for all his needs. He just strolls around humming that song Just a Giggslo By David Lee Roth.

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 05:42 PM

I Love that song....it was a remake....Roth's was better......

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 06:40 PM

actually i have to help my mom pay bills due to her not having a steady job anymore

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 06:43 PM

But we all know they are uber rich super models that he keeps around as playthings. They pay for all his needs. He just strolls around humming that song Just a Giggslo By David Lee Roth.
actually i am seeing a model lol, we talk everyday i can post a pic if u like lol she wont mind...but she wants me to buy her a passport so we can go on a trip, she will pay the rest lol its pretty sweet she's a real sugar momma
Posted By: 2Fish4everything

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 06:45 PM

Let's see her Stevie

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 06:47 PM

She's a "Hand" model for lotion ads......

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 06:54 PM

well techniqually she's not a model she's a ceter/chef and clifton u got my number i aint gonna post it on here for 100 guys to be drooling if not and u have the same number i'll send u a pic
Posted By: Bassplastic

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 07:16 PM

They're always on time, never lippy, never outstay their welcome, and CHEAP...those hand models are underrated.

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 07:21 PM

Maybe Victorias "Big Secret" AKA Al Bundy.
Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 07:42 PM

is she from canada?
Posted By: Fireshadow

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 08:12 PM

http://www.txcatfishguide.com/catfishing/fishing-stuff-for-sale/
Some great deals here.

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: MR™
is she from canada?
nope, she lived in africa as a kid, but lives in dfw now

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 09:58 PM

is she from canada?

Is her first name Palmela? And is she a big fan of the yankees?

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/09/11 11:13 PM

is she from canada?

Is her first name Palmela? And is she a big fan of the yankees?
nope lol

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/10/11 07:15 AM

Ok so is her name Rosey, does she have 5 sisters?
Posted By: Reaper9789

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/10/11 03:41 PM

what is going on in this thread??

I know being poor sucks, i havent worked since december of last year..
Just started a new job though..im gunna buy a boat LOL
Posted By: CatfishNate

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/10/11 05:08 PM

well techniqually she's not a model she's a ceter/chef and clifton u got my number i aint gonna post it on here for 100 guys to be drooling if not and u have the same number i'll send u a pic

So is she a model or a chef? Thats like saying I'm a race car driver, but technically I just work in a gas station. You are so full of it. flush
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/10/11 05:17 PM

The more you make...the more Uncle Sam takes...hard to get ahead in this world.
Posted By: albertking

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/10/11 06:13 PM

that's the way uncle sam rewards producers ... the current adim is wanting to reward us even more

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/11/11 05:45 AM

Ok so is her name Rosey, does she have 5 sisters?
nope bro, just forget about it lol

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/11/11 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Fish4everything
Let's see her Stevie

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/11/11 03:11 PM

But back to being broke.....Sometimes it has it's advantages, if I had money I'd be fishing this morning, instead I am sitting here watching Megamind with my daughter and listening to her laugh at the movie. A laughing 4 year old makes up for all the bad stuff.
Posted By: Philpot

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/11/11 06:35 PM

But back to being broke.....Sometimes it has it's advantages, if I had money I'd be fishing this morning, instead I am sitting here watching Megamind with my daughter and listening to her laugh at the movie. A laughing 4 year old makes up for all the bad stuff.

+10000 on the laughing 4 year old... That's good stuff!
Posted By: ChuckP

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/11/11 09:04 PM

Enjoy that 4 yr old Bartman, she will grow up before you know it. My daughter is growing so fast and I hate it. A couple of more years and she will be gone. Dreading that day and trying to enjoy every moment I have with her.

Oh I forgot to mention you will be dealing with boys soon.

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/12/11 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Timber Trout

Enjoy that 4 yr old Bartman, she will grow up before you know it. My daughter is growing so fast and I hate it. A couple of more years and she will be gone. Dreading that day and trying to enjoy every moment I have with her.

Oh I forgot to mention you will be dealing with boys soon.

When my daughter was born my mom went out and bought me a rocking chair so I could use it on the front porch to clean guns in when she tries to bring a boy home.

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/12/11 04:46 AM

I am 6'7" most boys will probably already be afraid of me. If not they are too crazy to date my daughter.
Posted By: FallsOutBoatOften

Re: Being Poor Sucks - 09/12/11 04:58 AM

Come on BDDD, we wont' drool, we promise, we want to see her. Come on dude, post up the pic's of this model that is your women and then post up all these pic's of big fish you catch and release. We are waiting BDDD!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum