Texas Fishing Forum

Mono, Braid, or Fluro???????

Posted By: Student

Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 03:52 AM

Anyone here care to enlighten me on which one to spool on my spincast, trolling, and baitcasting. I'm a fanatic on casting very far since I mainly do bank fishing. So please share some of your expertise on this one. Thanks guys
Posted By: Caribou

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 03:55 AM

Mono all the way. Braid is too hard to break off when you get hung up. i fish 20# berkley big game with a 30# big game leader. some guys use more, but if you are banking it, most of the time, that will be more than enough strength.

I havnt messed much with fluro, but i cant imagine it would be work messing with, catfish dont seem to mind seeing fishing line, and i think thats one of the main things about fluro.

Spool up with mono, and you will be just fine.

Lots of guys also like the Offshore angler line from BPS (its the yellow line) its cheaper than Berkley, and i havnt heard any complaints.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 05:11 AM

I use 20# high vis yellow offshore angler tight line from BPS for main line. I have tried just about all of them and I think this is better than more expensive lines. 50# suffix clear mono for leaders. I hate braid and on a spinning reel you are just asking for trouble. I wouldn't spool my reels with braid if it were free. I know someone is going to chime in and say braid is the best thing ever but my experience is sometimes a back lash turns into an hour worth of cuting of line off the reel.

Flouro sounds good in principle because of the abraision resistence but it floats ( or doesn't float) and that seems like that would alter time tested set ups.
Posted By: *Mr. Fabulous*

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 07:00 AM

i dunno......
Posted By: big daddy double digits

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 07:05 AM

fluoro sucks on spinning reels this much i know
Posted By: LakeLass

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 10:15 AM

i'm not really picky - just want my line color to be red...gotta match the rest of my gear...however braid turns pink after awhile smile
Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 11:19 AM

25# big game hi vis on the spool (mono)
50# big game clear for the leader (mono)
I have only baitcasters.
On my saltwater spinning reel I have 30# power pro so if I was gonna use spinning reels for catfishing I guess that is what I would use.
Posted By: Magged Out

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 12:02 PM

P Line CXX 17#
Trilene 20#
Trilene 40# Leaders
BPS Tightline 65#+ Really Good Line $10. for a 1# spool

Braid is a pita too break off. Will cut you too the bone.

fluro is a waste of money!!
Posted By: CatfishAddiction

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 01:04 PM

I've had really good luck with the Offshore Angler stuff. I use 20lb green for my primary and 50lb clear for leaders. The 20 will break off when you need it to, but strong enough.
Posted By: Robdogtx

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: big daddy double digits
fluoro sucks on spinning reels this much i know

+1 on that, i just put floro on 3 spinning reels last week, i'm taking it off today.

the stuff has a mind of its own
Posted By: UsArmyTDI

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 01:14 PM

I use 20lb mono berkly big game (green) and a 30lb steel leader. That's what I have used sence I started fishing
Posted By: Philpot

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 01:16 PM

I've become a fan of the Power Pro braid main line, and I'm strung up on 8 or 9 rods with anywhere fro 30# - 50# test. The 50# Power Pro is the same diameter as 8# test mono, so reel capacity isn't an issue. I wrap a small amount of mono on the barrel of the reel, and then I splice the braid onto that to fill the remainder of the reel. This keeps the braid from spinning on the barrel. What I like about the braid is that it has no memory to speak of, you can fight most any hook up with utter confidence, it's very sensitive, and it has very little stretch. What I don't like is the tendency it has to wrap around the tip of the rod at the drop of hat, tie itself into half hitches every time it gets a little slack in it, and it's stronger than anchor line when you're hung to a stump or on bottom.
Posted By: Dblaow (Mr Intensity)

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: MR™
25# big game hi vis on the spool (mono)
50# big game clear for the leader (mono)
I have only baitcasters.
On my saltwater spinning reel I have 30# power pro so if I was gonna use spinning reels for catfishing I guess that is what I would use.

+1
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 04:47 PM

I recently put some braid on one of my spinning reels, my buddy uses it on his and it worked great, i recently went on a guided trip to the coast for reds an all he had were spining rods spooled with braid. I will be giving it a test this weekend, but I cant se why I wouldnt like it. Most people I asked said to give power pro a shot and it was the cheapest one there so I got some.

The rest of my stuff gets ande or big game mono in whatever weight suits the reel.

matt
Posted By: T-MAC

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 05:02 PM

For drifting i like mono. Achoring in timbers for some monster TWOK blues. I use 65lb braid. Last year i used 50 lb mono leader this year when things gets good like as good as it could get and in tournaments im thinking of going 100 lb mono leader. I lost alot nice blues in timbers last year. I dont want that this year so thinking of beefing it up a bit. At least maybe giving it a chance anyways. If i get hung up in timbers i nomally go retreve anyways. Dont like loosing tackle. At least try it half my poles. Couldnt hurt.

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 05:40 PM

This is the main thing I don't like about braid:

That was taken a few days after my last saltwater trip so it is starting to heal up but I had four big nasty open gashes on that finger from the braid. And it stings like chit in saltwater too. grin
I also don't like jacking with braid when I back lash. I don't professional overcast often but when I do i don't wanna spend a dang hour cutting out line.
The other big issue I have with briad is I have seen people strip the gears out of baitcasters because their braid wouldn't break off. I like me reels way more than I like my rigs. I'd rather lose one that tear my reel up.

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 06:17 PM

Ouch. I know what you mean. I seem to cast braid better and futher. If they seem to pull to much i loosen my drag alittle just to be sure. I have had a few that would rip drag even when is as tight as it would go. After using braid mono dont seem to like to much. I hate lossen fish

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 06:19 PM

Define stirp gears?

Because the drag should give long before the gears even come into play.

To solve finger problem remove hat from head and put on hand then wrap line around hat and hand and pull. Mono will cut the heck out of you too if you start wraping it around your fingers to break it off.

I have heard bad things about birds nests, and it scares me, but we will see how it goes.

matt

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 06:49 PM

That wasn't from breaking it off. That was just from casting and normal use on my spinning reel I use for salt. It cuts into you.

And by stripped gears I mean a nice new Curado turned into a nifty paperweight.

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 07:57 PM

Oh ok. I guess I fished from about 7 am til 3pm throwing a lure all day and it didnt seem to bother my fingers.

Still say there is something else wrong with the reels than the line. How many people use braid on them that dont have any issues, my guess is far more than that. Did you take them apart and find out what was wrong with them?

matt

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 08:12 PM

Nope weren't my reels. But it can happen just because it doesn't always happen.
I'm not trying to talk anybody out of using the stuff. I use it on the application I need it for, which is saltwater fishing on spinning reels. I just like mono better for catfishing.
I like fluro better for crappie fishing.
I don't really like bass fishing at all. grin
Posted By: Drpeede

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 08:13 PM

The only time i get cuts from braid is when i am not paying attention on hook sets and have my finger under the line. As far as not breaking off easy, just get a little slack and rap around the reel or handle. Always works well for me. If you can't tell, I love my braid
Posted By: baclash

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 08:36 PM

I use braid on most of the setups I have.I have a couple with Andy 30 # but those will change with the next purchase of braided line I get.

I like to use those 12" slip-bobber pole floats alot cause I can very the depth & they kinda drift along at a slow pace , covering more water. Braid floats so the line doesn't get caught on rocks & such on the bottom like mono does.Those bobbers are 5 bucks a piece don't ya know soap

Getting hung up is a pita whether using braid or not .... it's like drpeede said .. just wrap & little around the reel & pull it. don't leave the line to the spool & pull it..

I have bent a few hooks cause that braid will not break easliy.

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/19/11 11:16 PM

my goodness!!! thanks a lot fellas and lady for the respond. I'm aiming a bit more towards mono on my trolling and bait cast since they are easier to remove when they get tangled and braid on my spin casting. Man fishing is costing me money now...lol I about to buy a verdict and ambassadeur for 100 from my neighbor and they still have a tag on them....LOL

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/20/11 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Flipin_Fisher
my goodness!!! thanks a lot fellas and lady for the respond. I'm aiming a bit more towards mono on my trolling and bait cast since they are easier to remove when they get tangled and braid on my spin casting. Man fishing is costing me money now...lol I about to buy a verdict and ambassadeur for 100 from my neighbor and they still have a tag on them....LOL

so u r gonna put braid on a Zebco??

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/20/11 02:34 AM

a zebco??? I don't have a zebco sir!!

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/20/11 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Flipin_Fisher
a zebco??? I don't have a zebco sir!!

I Do - cpl of them.........u said u were gonna put braid on your spincast.......... hmmm did u mean spinning reels?.....spincast are push button...........I put braid on 4 of my spinning rigs recently and can cast further than the mono by 20-25 yds......does eat up yo finger.....I tried wearing some knock off Mechanic gloves from Home Depot but after about 20 cast it cut thru.......them carp guys have fancy one finger gloves they wear.......

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/20/11 02:52 AM

yea!!! that was my fault...lol its a spinning reel i mean. SORRY..lol

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/20/11 02:54 AM

gotcha.....I've heard of a few ppl - not on here- using braid on big Zebco 808's only cuz they wanted maximum line capacity/ yardage.......
Posted By: Caribou

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/20/11 02:56 AM

Nothing wrong with a zebco. They do just fine for what they were intended. Occasionally fishing... I don't own one, but my father in law has about 10 he fishes about 2times a year for small fish. He's had em for 20 years. Most of us would destroy one in a few days, but they have their place.

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/20/11 03:20 AM

I have heard of that too about putting braids on a zebco spincast. I have nothing againts a zebco but my father in law has one and he caught a freaking 2lbs channel on it and he almost broke it...hahahaha I heard also that Flouros are good as a line leader.
Posted By: Reaper9789

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/20/11 03:33 AM

i love my power pro braid.. its pretty expensive but you rarely ever lose any.

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/20/11 03:39 AM

I got Cajun braid cuz it's been on sale big time at Cabellas.....300 yds 65Lb for $9.99

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/20/11 04:23 AM

I'm not trying to talk anybody out of using the stuff. I use it on the application I need it for, which is saltwater fishing on spinning reels. I just like mono better for catfishing.

I dont either I was wade fishing for trout and reds grin So why dont you really find out what happend to them instead of makin up some bs about stipping gears because of braid.

matt

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/20/11 05:25 AM

I will on my father in-law's spincast whenever I can. I will let you know if it works.

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/20/11 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

I dont either I was wade fishing for trout and reds grin So why dont you really find out what happend to them instead of makin up some bs about stipping gears because of braid.

matt

Braid is the best thing ever. Everyone should use braid all the time. And they should use whatever braid it is that redchevy owns stock in.
There that make you happy?
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/20/11 04:13 PM

That wasn't from breaking it off. That was just from casting and normal use on my spinning reel I use for salt. It cuts into you.

And by stripped gears I mean a nice new Curado turned into a nifty paperweight.

Braid on that kind of reel seems to be asking for it. Need something a little more beefy. I have stripped many of gears on RC cars, but never fishing reels.

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/22/11 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

matt

Braid is the best thing ever. Everyone should use braid all the time. And they should use whatever braid it is that redchevy owns stock in.
There that make you happy?

Im always happy grin just hate listening to people spout off carpola that they have no idea about to a place where people are comeing to try and learn. You didnt strip gears and Im not sure what you did to your finger, it looks like a normal finger to me. And I only wish I owned a significant amount of stock in power pro or some other flurishing braid line company becaseu at $20 a spool they have got to be making a killing!

matt

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/22/11 03:13 PM

Well I'll tell you this much, I am not a liar. I know what I saw and I know what happened. You can sit here behind your computer and call me a liar and say I'm spouting crapola all you like because you are nice and safe there.
You show up on a bank next to me someday after calling me a liar and we are gonna have problems, end of discussion. I'll admit that a person's choice of fishing line is a stupid thing to fight about, but calling someone a liar isn't. Your word may not mean alot to you but mine does to me.
Now welcome to my ignored user list, trouble maker.

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/22/11 03:23 PM

Just curiouse why did you want to know where i live and fish in your post you deleted?

Im not being a jack azz about it, you stated braided line striped the gears on a real, that isnt yours and you didnt look inside, all you know is it didnt work. I have seen alot of broken reels and braid had nothing to do with them. If braided line stripped the gears on reals dont you think many more would break with the wide popularity it has gotten. Is it perfect.. no and after fishing with it I have found a couple things Im not to fond of such as line twist and backlash when they occur they are worse than mono. It aint the be all end of of line, but it dont strip gears either. Im no trouble maker you got caught in a lie and got your feelers hurt!

matt

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/22/11 04:08 PM

Well this thread has already went to the birds. I agree braid well cut you more than mono,but yes mono well still cut.

No reason arguing about it guys. I do know that big catfish and big salt water fish pull very very hard thats for sure. Thats why if they start running to much I loosen my drag a little just tell there done running so hard.

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/23/11 05:11 AM

Gentlemen, there is no need to fight its an online discussion where people are trying to learn. I'm sure some of you have learned a lot from each other here because I know I did. I learned a lot from all of you, and thanks to you guys I have been able to fish efficiently even though I don't catch the same size of fish as some of you. Thank you all for the lesson
Posted By: michael

Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/23/11 03:54 PM

I've had Power Pro braid on one reel for a couple of years. It's coming off now. Just lost 3 good ones over the weekend that I fault braid on, cuts on my mono lines from tangles. Yes, I should have checked the mono after the tangle with the braid, but I didn't. Also, I'm convinced that the fish feel the rod and frequently stop the biting with braid. When you get a hard hit on the braid it is just too sensitive, feels like the rod is a stiff board. I much prefer mono. You don't need the big pound test of braid, 50-100, as long as you have a quality reel with a good drag. Give me 20 pound mono, landed a 48 last January on it with a 2/0 hook. Check out the Tarpon tournaments, braid is not allowed. It's like a razor in the water that nothing else can get around.
Posted By: James Tucker

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/23/11 04:01 PM

Not to be a smart-a, but 20lb will not cut it all the time. 25 or 30 barely will MOST of the time.

I have areas that you NEED 80 lb test and you still have fish breaking you off. Good drag is key, but you still have to stop the fish when fishing cover.

Don't get me wrong, a lady caught a 37lb blue on 12lb test on my boat a month ago. BUT we were fishing for smaller blues in open water. She got fought the fish perfectly and for 45 minutes. She landed the fish. I do not think that line would have lasted another run.

Certain times of year you have to fish heavy, shallow cover to catch the big boys. I would rather deal with 80lb braid that may or may not cause a fish to stop mid bite ( I have never noticed this) than to have a line too weak to stop a big fish before he wraps me up in timber.
Posted By: Philpot

Re: Mono, Braid, or Fluro??????? - 08/23/11 04:56 PM

Reference the sig pic of my little darlin' bride holding the 37# that she fought like a champion on the 12# test line belonging to Fishhauler... If the drag hadn't been set perfectly, if she hadn't fought the fish perfectly, well, the sig pic probably wouldn't be there. I'm just now learning enough about the blue cats to be dangerous, but I still like the security of the 50# Power Pro on the spool. I will be paying attention to see if the bites drop off with braid vs. mono with a little bit of side by side testing. I'll post results as I get them...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum