Texas Fishing Forum

crappie fisherman looking for catfish near lubbock

Posted By: OutdoorTxs

crappie fisherman looking for catfish near lubbock - 06/19/11 08:17 PM

Hey guys

Well, after years of trying, I finally get my dad to get back to the lakes and do some fishing with me. Only problem is he loves catfish, and im a crappie fisherman.

Anyone willing to share some tips on locations or baits to use on lakes around the lubbock area ?

I'm a newb when it comes to catfish, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Posted By: Fisher77

Re: crappie fisherman looking for catfish near lubbock - 06/19/11 10:41 PM

I have had good luck at white river lake using bass minnows.

Re: crappie fisherman looking for catfish near lubbock - 06/20/11 02:27 AM

ill have to try that out, thanks!
Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Re: crappie fisherman looking for catfish near lubbock - 06/20/11 03:29 AM

fisher how low is white river right now. could you unload a boat down there? I live in lubbock and plan on doing lots of fishing this summer just dont like going to alan henry and paying so much or driver 3+ hours to a different lake. Also poney where do you catch crappie at?
Posted By: Fisher77

Re: crappie fisherman looking for catfish near lubbock - 06/20/11 05:10 AM

Its about 16 foot or so low. Yes you can unload a boat there, no problem. The side ramp by the steak house is useable, and the ramps by the campground close to the dam are useable. They also have some makeshift ramps open as well. Place was buzzing with boats memorial day weekend.

Re: crappie fisherman looking for catfish near lubbock - 06/20/11 05:13 AM

i was at white river last weekend, and both boat ramps were usable. lots of boats in the water.

found some crappie in brush along the north side of the lake. no keepers, but ill take any crappie i can find at white river. lol
Posted By: Lga043

Re: crappie fisherman looking for catfish near lubbock - 06/20/11 11:12 PM

Just start fishing for crappie with minnows and an 8'0 hook, when you feel a little tug like a crappie bit the minnow, don't reel it up, just let it swim around down there for a while!!!
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: crappie fisherman looking for catfish near lubbock - 06/20/11 11:17 PM

+1
Posted By: Smoky

Re: crappie fisherman looking for catfish near lubbock - 06/20/11 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Lga043
Just start fishing for crappie with minnows and an 8'0 hook, when you feel a little tug like a crappie bit the minnow, don't reel it up, just let it swim around down there for a while!!!

I do the same...but I start out with them gummy worms you were talking about! Gummy worm to catch the minnow...then minnow eats the crappie, then i eat the yellow cat that eats the crappie...funny how that works
Posted By: banned-account

Re: crappie fisherman looking for catfish near lubbock - 06/20/11 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Lga043

I taught Larry that,

+2

stir

Re: crappie fisherman looking for catfish near lubbock - 06/21/11 03:07 AM

wait a min...nobody told me there were gummy worms involved with catfishing.
I might have to switch over from crappie...lol
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: crappie fisherman looking for catfish near lubbock - 06/21/11 03:09 AM

red and charteuse sour gummi worms!!

Re: crappie fisherman looking for catfish near lubbock - 06/22/11 12:36 AM

thumb
Posted By: catfish-dance

Re: crappie fisherman looking for catfish near lubbock - 06/24/11 01:52 PM

also try mae simmons park there in lubbck they just put 1,000 or so catfish in the park for the kids in june and they stock it like that every year.... plus it should still be some good size ones that come from the run off at buffalo springs lake not sure about that anymore........
Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Re: crappie fisherman looking for catfish near lubbock - 06/24/11 04:51 PM

catfish-dance Are you aware of how big the cats are at buffalo?
Posted By: catfish-dance

Re: crappie fisherman looking for catfish near lubbock - 06/25/11 12:03 AM

well i seen a few that were caught from mae simmons since i have been out the army but like i said i haven't been to buffalo springs lake in years.........so you tell me i heard the water had algae but i remember back there when i was younger watching em cross over the lake back when it would rain so much but that was even before i joined the service so not sure what that lakes as done in years so maybe you can let me know thanks........
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum