Texas Fishing Forum

Ugly northern fish (beware scary)

Posted By: crappiecrzy

Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 03:50 AM

Well I'm I'n Illinois visiting the I'n laws had to get away so I found some ponds that looked good and I caught this weird looking fish around 20 lbs and 3 1/2 to 4 foot long. Here's the pic.

Posted By: texfoc1

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 03:51 AM

Asian carp?
Posted By: Lga043

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 03:54 AM

Looks like good cut bait!!!
Posted By: Moses

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 03:54 AM

Yep
http://sportsthat.blogspot.com/2010/07/asian-carp-invasion.html

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 04:02 AM

I'll try to get one tommorow and try it fir cut bait I cut that one open and it had 2 crappie I'n it? That article said they are like paddle fish??
Posted By: Moses

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 04:07 AM

Must have been hungry!
Posted By: Bassin87'

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 04:45 AM

Weird... I wonder what the heck it is?
Posted By: roachdaddy

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 05:06 AM

Asian carp and invasive.

You did leave it for the critters...yes?

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 05:06 AM

you should also probably contact tpwd and tell them where you caught it.
Posted By: DownAndDirtyBlues

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 06:05 AM

I don't think he is in Texas.. So not tpwd
Posted By: G Love

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 06:59 AM

It's a bighead carp
Posted By: albertking

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 11:37 AM

is this the same kinda fish? ... this was caught at ft phantom several years ago ... don't know about now but it usta hang on the wall in a bait store on ambler street ... i'm pretty sure this one was over 50#

Posted By: catcrap

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: albertking
is this the same kinda fish? ... this was caught at ft phantom several years ago ... don't know about now but it usta hang on the wall in a bait store on ambler street ... i'm pretty sure this one was over 50#

i used to live off of ambler! didnt ever see a bait store though, mightve been gone by the time i lived there. looks like the same kinda fish tho, shape of the mouth and head, tail, wonder how it survived down here, dont they have a hard time in the heat i thought?
Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: crappiecrzy
I'll try to get one tommorow and try it fir cut bait I cut that one open and it had 2 crappie I'n it? That article said they are like paddle fish??

The newest world record blue cat was caught on cut asian carp.

As far as it eating crappie instead of plankton... On the new season of river monsters they had this fish that was attacking men's dangley parts in the water and they didn't know what it was. Turned out it was a pacu, normally it is a vegitarian but it was an invasive spieces to this particular river and since there was not enough fruits and nuts falling off trees into the water it had turned carniverous.
Posted By: CatfishAddiction

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 01:01 PM

Those Asian Carp are the ones that jump out of the river 10 feet in the air when you run your boat down the river. The sound of the motor throws 'em in to a panic.
Posted By: Draggin Yak

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 01:01 PM

I am fairly certain I saw a big one of these mixed in with some big mouth buffalo down from Denison Dam.
Posted By: NotaNibble

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 01:20 PM

Looks like an Asian Carp to me. they are an invasive species, and spreading like wildfire.
Posted By: Piscatorial Assassin

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 01:54 PM

Hope to god you are wrong about that draggin.....
Posted By: Mell

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 01:54 PM

Asian carp no doubt and very dangerous, they get big, once had one jumpout of the water over a Lund walleye boat and knock my friends 5 yr old daughter almost out of the boat on the Mississippi river, so to any that venture up that way make sure you wear your life vest when headin to and from the fishing area seriously a 30-50 fish can jump up and hit you and you could be dazed and or fall out of the boat and in the Big Muddy its over without a vest

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 02:05 PM

That's crazy I left it to the birds but it did fight hard on my 9 foot crappie rod. Lol
Posted By: turbofred

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 07:40 PM

I bet that was fun to catch!!
Posted By: msugordo1

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 07:54 PM

kill em all they are great bait and are destroying the fisheries
Posted By: D.D.R.

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Mell
Asian carp no doubt and very dangerous, they get big, once had one jumpout of the water over a Lund walleye boat and knock my friends 5 yr old daughter almost out of the boat on the Mississippi river, so to any that venture up that way make sure you wear your life vest when headin to and from the fishing area seriously a 30-50 fish can jump up and hit you and you could be dazed and or fall out of the boat and in the Big Muddy its over without a vest

And get you one of them bass fishing helmets!
Posted By: albertking

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/13/11 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: catcrap

i used to live off of ambler! didnt ever see a bait store though, mightve been gone by the time i lived there. looks like the same kinda fish tho, shape of the mouth and head, tail, wonder how it survived down here, dont they have a hard time in the heat i thought?

there are or were 2 bait stores on the corners where the road tees into ambler that leads to FM 600 going north ... feller named eddie ran the one on the east side or at least he did 4 years ago

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/14/11 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: DownAndDirtyBlues
I don't think he is in Texas.. So not tpwd

Woops.. hammer.Well contact somebody then...anybody.
Posted By: Hooky_Looky

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/14/11 08:55 PM

looks like a minnow
Posted By: hiodon

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/14/11 11:31 PM

Texas held the world record bighead carp for a while. In 2000, a fella caught a 90-pounder from Lake Kirby in Abilene. There was also a big one caught from Fort Phantom Hill. I think that was the one mounted in the bait shop.
Posted By: King_Fisher

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/15/11 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: CatfishAddiction (Skunked)
Those Asian Carp are the ones that jump out of the river 10 feet in the air when you run your boat down the river. The sound of the motor throws 'em in to a panic.

Yep, also call them Silver Carp. They are a major pest and have been introduced in a number of northern waters.
Posted By: Destroyer

Re: Ugly northern fish (beware scary) - 05/16/11 05:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Draggin Yak
I am fairly certain I saw a big one of these mixed in with some big mouth buffalo down from Denison Dam.

Very likely. The Red River is a trib to the Mississippi and they are common in the Miss.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum