Texas Fishing Forum

Mudcat trap

Posted By: crappiecrzy

Mudcat trap - 05/01/11 06:23 PM

Any one have some plans for a mudcat trap? Thanks
Posted By: Ryan Cook

Re: Mudcat trap - 05/01/11 09:05 PM

I would think it would be the same as a perch trap just make sure it's in Texas parks and wildlife guidelines.
Posted By: Texaswild

Re: Mudcat trap - 05/01/11 11:08 PM

I have used ChugHeads for years on Trotline...If your going to use in a private pond, dont worry about TPWD rules...I use 4 old bike wheels...all the same size...cut the spokes out...you just need the rims...put the rims about 20in apart...take 5 or 6pcs of flat alumand rivit each wheel...keep going and keep the alum 10in apart...when finish you will have a frame...cover in 1/2 chicken wire...cover 1 end and sides... make a funnel out of the wire for the other end...funnel will start at end and go to the center... will end up with 3 in opening... tie some wires to the center to the outside...tie rope on to it...bait with horse and mule feed, bread, chesse,stink bait...thow it out and check in a couple of hrs...if there in the pond,,, you will have them...OH yea, make a trap door to get them out...good luck
Posted By: opus

Re: Mudcat trap - 05/01/11 11:38 PM

sounds like an old hoop net
Posted By: crappiecrzy

Re: Mudcat trap - 05/01/11 11:51 PM

Ty I'll try yes Im using my ponds.
Posted By: coloradontexas

Re: Mudcat trap - 05/02/11 12:54 AM

Made two" clover" type traps. Caught roughly 70 in each. Pm for where to get plans
Posted By: Texaswild

Re: Mudcat trap - 05/02/11 09:40 AM

Yes like a hoop net...If you go muds, they will get in there... Perch, and most anything else... In the 50's I new a guy that had one in the lake... He kept it under his boathouse...Baited it with sweetfeed...It always had crappie in it...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum