Texas Fishing Forum

Frozen shad question

Posted By: coachnomore

Frozen shad question - 10/05/10 01:58 AM

I've been catching some shad and freezing what I don't use. I pat them dry and put them in the baggie. I do not see a whole lot of difference between the shad I've frozen and the frozen shad at the freezer at Cabelas, which comes from a company in Oklahoma. How much difference is there in my frozen shad and the store bought frozen shad?
Posted By: *Mr. Fabulous*

Re: Frozen shad question - 10/05/10 01:59 AM

if u pour a bunch of dead red in bag when u freeze them - a bunch
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: Frozen shad question - 10/05/10 04:15 AM

Originally Posted By: coachnomore
I've been catching some shad and freezing what I don't use. I pat them dry and put them in the baggie. I do not see a whole lot of difference between the shad I've frozen and the frozen shad at the freezer at Cabelas, which comes from a company in Oklahoma. How much difference is there in my frozen shad and the store bought frozen shad?

You pay somebody else to catch your bait if it's store bought.
Posted By: Brad Stout

Re: Frozen shad question - 10/05/10 04:30 AM

Not sure on the difference on the question your asking but fresh bait is the best. I always catch my shad fresh when I get on the water. I don't Freeze them anymore. That makes them soft and fly off the hook easier too when you cast.
Posted By: r42

Re: Frozen shad question - 10/05/10 04:33 AM

http://www.walmart.com/ip/FoodSaver-Freshsaver-Handheld-Vacuum-Sealing-System/14320822

Get you one of these. They are cheap and work good. It should help keep the shad in good shape while frozen. Bad1 mentioned vacuum sealing his to me the other day and reminded me I had one of these battery operated ones. I did some shad tonight in small bags, about 12 to 18 per bag, depending on size. I figure that way I won't waste as much thawing them and not being able to use them if the bite isn't good that day.
Posted By: Nibbler The Catfish Ro-MAN-CER

Re: Frozen shad question - 10/05/10 04:56 AM

I have ever froze shad but after reading all this info i might start freezing the huge gizzards i find for this winter.
Posted By: coachnomore

Re: Frozen shad question - 10/07/10 12:39 AM

that was kind of where I was headed was what to do this winter when the shad are deeper than my ability to catch them.
Posted By: Dr. Crank

Re: Frozen shad question - 10/07/10 02:02 PM

Can I ask what is dead red ?? Thats twice I've seen this posted, don't have a clue ?
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Frozen shad question - 10/07/10 02:39 PM

attractant from Team Catfish that you add to bait
Posted By: 817angler

Re: Frozen shad question - 10/07/10 02:43 PM

it is a catfish attractent, me and alot of other people on this forum dont fish w/o it.

http://www.teamcatfish.com/store/product...221430e1dcb681e
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum