Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Hubbard Rocks

Posted By: HB22

Ray Hubbard Rocks - 05/24/10 04:02 PM

What is the report on the cats comming up to the rip rap to spawn? Are they there yet? What is the water temp? When will they start up?

HB22
Posted By: catfish34

Re: Ray Hubbard Rocks - 05/26/10 03:29 AM

They are normal there around this time i always wait and go after memorial day to much traffic for me on the lake right now
Posted By: Ranger Rick

Re: Ray Hubbard Rocks - 05/26/10 12:44 PM

Actually they seem that they are more sporadic at Hubbard this Month. At least @ the half dozen places I normally drained them at during the last few years. There one or two days and all of a sudden gone the next. Not many I caught with eggs yet. Not many "Klingon"(knobby)heads either.
Also seems Ive caught more 9-12" than 14-24" inch fish so far this month.
A couple different guys I know who fish the lake harder than myself even, both from bank and boat, think the type of winter and the lack of rain blah blah blah maybe has things at 2-or 3 weeks off schedule...at least I hope or we are in for a fickle cyclic here today not tomorrow type "season".
Water temps according to my unit have been from 75F to 77F last few days.
However lake seems to have dropped at least a foot maybe alil more in last 4 or 5 weeks.

PS:Noticed changes with the shad runs/locations/numbers both gizzard and threadfin as well. All part of nature...simply more time at or on water will yield success I'm sure.
Posted By: jorne

Re: Ray Hubbard Rocks - 05/26/10 12:59 PM

Fishing with fresh shad, I've been catching more blues than channels on the Hubbard flat I fish. Yesterday it was 4 blues and 3 male channels, one of the blues a nice 4# fish. Last week I caught and released 5 or 6 small channels and one nicer prespawn female and retained only a couple of 2# blues. I've fished the rocks but had no takers.
Posted By: tab

Re: Ray Hubbard Rocks - 05/26/10 06:29 PM

I fished several normally productive spots around the riprock around Miller Rd. and Hwy 66 Monday and only caught a couple small channels. I am also thinking the weather delayed the spawn this year.

Re: Ray Hubbard Rocks - 05/27/10 01:10 PM

Thanks for the updates, gentlemen... I will get out there in a few weeks then.

Posted By: Duckcreek Davy

Re: Ray Hubbard Rocks - 06/01/10 04:21 AM

I slayed em on the rocks off 66 tuesday, fishing from a floattube using blood bait. Tried miller road this morning from sunup till 10:00....caught 2 little dinks. No shad or bait fish of any kind visible around the rocks today. Wind was weird too, due to storms I guess.

Re: Ray Hubbard Rocks - 06/02/10 02:41 AM

i am going to get out there friday morning to check it out.

Re: Ray Hubbard Rocks - 06/07/10 03:42 PM

BUMP... Any new reports?

Re: Ray Hubbard Rocks - 06/07/10 09:23 PM

went this morning fishing highway 30 and 66 nothing two bites was all i guess they have moved out fished from 6:30 to 10am
Posted By: Ranger Rick

Re: Ray Hubbard Rocks - 06/08/10 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: catfish34
went this morning fishing highway 30 and 66 nothing two bites was all i guess they have moved out fished from 6:30 to 10am

When were they ever "in"??? I mean despite a basket or two every 3 or 4 days from someones reports it hasn't been steady on as it has been every single year for the last few. Got me stumped for sure.

Talked to a few guys that were out sat night past. Seems they are much better in deeper flats during the night.

Re: Ray Hubbard Rocks - 06/08/10 10:35 PM

hmm i thought maybe i missed them that is true every year they are in steady for a short time. the water temp was 85 degrees
Posted By: Duckcreek Davy

Re: Ray Hubbard Rocks - 06/09/10 08:03 AM

Getting pretty warm isn't it?
Did you chum C34?

Re: Ray Hubbard Rocks - 06/09/10 01:31 PM

no i never had to but i guess i will i normally hit like im bass fishing and work my way down the rocks.
Posted By: Chadt

Re: Ray Hubbard Rocks - 06/09/10 01:46 PM

I was catching them on those rocks about 5-6 weeks ago went out for 3 hours a few nights and caught 7-8 and missed a few more. they were mostly 3-4lbs and big one was 8-9lb blue.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum