Texas Fishing Forum

Jugline weight ?

Posted By: Riotex

Jugline weight ? - 05/13/10 03:15 PM

What size weights do you guys use for your Juglines. I will targeting Big Cats at Choke in the 20-40 lb range. Will be running 3-5 hook sets on lines in about 15-50 ft of water.
All advise is appreciated ! smile
Rio
Posted By: D.D.R.

Re: Jugline weight ? - 05/13/10 03:27 PM

I use water bottles filled with concrete and a wire loop coming out the top. they are about 2 lbs
Posted By: South Tex Fish

Re: Jugline weight ? - 05/13/10 03:34 PM

I have a crud load of old window weights. 6-8 lbs each. got an eye in one side. Perfect for juglines.
Posted By: Brent T

Re: Jugline weight ? - 05/13/10 03:37 PM

Pieces of heavy chain work well. I usually use 2-3 pounds worth of 1/2 chain, about 6 links. They hardly ever get hung up.
Posted By: 2Fish4everything

Re: Jugline weight ? - 05/13/10 03:41 PM

Anything filled with concrete, bottles, cans ect. Bricks work well also

Just a tip If you are targeting large cats in open water you might want to use 2 jugs taped together. I have lost several 1 jug set-ups so i started using two 1 gallon antifreeze jugs on one line. I thought the first couple times someone was running my jugs and stealing them but after drift fishing near them and watching them go under to never be seen again I started putting 2 jugs on.

Also i would go with 3 hooks not 5. It becomes dangerous if you get a big cat on one of the bottom hooks. If you get him near the boat and he makes a run you might get a hook in you.

Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: Jugline weight ? - 05/13/10 03:49 PM

Whatever a house brick weighs is how much weight I use.
Posted By: Chase ™

Re: Jugline weight ? - 05/13/10 03:54 PM

Nothing wrong with a brick.
Posted By: Riotex

Re: Jugline weight ? - 05/13/10 08:53 PM

Thanks Guys- 2lbs-5lbs seems light- would think that a big cat could drag this off ?
Posted By: Chase ™

Re: Jugline weight ? - 05/13/10 08:56 PM

It happens but you sure would get tired of lifting anything heavier into the boat time after time......
Posted By: jugmaster

Re: Jugline weight ? - 05/13/10 09:04 PM

I use window weights and 1" round stock. Cut them to 12 inches and weld a chain on them. A brick will get hung in a tree.
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: Jugline weight ? - 05/13/10 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: jugmaster
I use window weights and 1" round stock. Cut them to 12 inches and weld a chain on them. A brick will get hung in a tree.

Stop throwing them up in the trees and they won't get stuck. Just Kidding

The lake I fish was impounded in 1928 ie: No trees.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum