Texas Fishing Forum

SLOWLY GETTING UP TO SPEED

Posted By: GO WACKY

SLOWLY GETTING UP TO SPEED - 07/17/09 10:02 PM

I've really been working on my catfishing. Got a cast net and I've got a drift sock ordered. I was putting too much time in rigging. This morning was my best trip. At the end I was just tieing a light weight on bottom and making a double overhand loop knot with my hook about 6" above the weight. I was tieing a balloon directly on my main line. It is tight but will slip to adjust depth. This is a fast and cheap rig and the balloons are easy to see. I caught 3 bass, then a 6 lb blue. Fished about 2-3' water. How do you think this rig would work drift fishing for blues? Do blues stay on the bottom? I can see the depth I'm drifting and slip the balloon up enough to get the bait, live/cut shad near bottom.
Posted By: mattsfishin

Re: SLOWLY GETTING UP TO SPEED - 07/17/09 11:12 PM

We fish for blues on Lake Livingston with jugs and fish them shallow. We use a drink bottle with 4 to 5 ft of line and no weight. Hook at the bottom and one hook above it. Look for 30 to 35 ft of water with structure and throw them out. While we are waiting we will fish with a float on a R&R and fish 3 to 4 ft deep. The blues will come up to feed. We do really good with this method of fishing.
Posted By: GO WACKY

Re: SLOWLY GETTING UP TO SPEED - 07/17/09 11:20 PM

Hey thanks Matt...that is exactly what I wanted to know...I can have my bait shallow even fishing in 30-35' water. I spent many years in Houston before moving back home to Haskell. I fished Livingston many times from '75-'90. I used to be able to run from the 190 bridge to the hwy 19 bridge...that got to be really dangerous as the trees that marked the river were gone. Livingston has always been known as a great catfishing lake.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum