Texas Fishing Forum

Trotline Question

Posted By: Coach Turney

Trotline Question - 07/07/09 03:52 PM

I have only put out a trotline by attaching each end to a tree and weighting down the line. My question is how to set a line with either one or neither end tied off. I have a great location but there is nothing to tie to.

Second question, I have been using perch on the line but how do you hook the perch? Tail, back, head????
Posted By: opus

Re: Trotline Question - 07/08/09 01:48 AM

ropes and a couple big rocks or 5 gal. buckets full of cement then tie jug to top put line in between that way you can put line at any depth
Posted By: breambuster

Re: Trotline Question - 07/08/09 01:48 PM

Make sure you have doubled the amount of line where you tie off a heavy weight on the end and then to the jug as the water is deep. This will allow you line to be tight and when you grab the jug, the extra line will allow you to raise the main trotline to check and bait it. When you throw the weight out, make sure the main trotline is as tight as you want it and it will stay that way until you take it up. You might also put a empty 16oz Coke bottle or a couple along the trotline so it isn't lying on the bottom.

Good luck
Posted By: j49

Re: Trotline Question - 07/09/09 12:56 AM

hook your perch halfway between the dorsal fin and the tail, above the backbone.

j
Posted By: Capt'n Wings

Re: Trotline Question - 07/09/09 03:06 AM

I hook 'em from under the chin up. Tiny recommends it and it works good.
Posted By: DAMFISHERMAN

Re: Trotline Question - 07/09/09 04:12 AM

middle of the tail
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum