Texas Fishing Forum

Calaveras low again

Posted By: roger t

Calaveras low again - 11/13/08 08:44 PM

It's an annual occurrance. The water level on calaveras is dropping like a rock. I saw several people having trouble getting their boats off of their trailers, even at the deep water ramp. One guy with a pontoon boat give up at the deep water ramp, went over to the shallow water ramp & was still wrestling with it when I left. SARA needs to rethink this low water policy & impliment somthing more practical. Anyone else having problems too ?
Roger
Posted By: alwaysfishing

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/13/08 10:02 PM

Yup, seen a lot of stuck boat trailers out there. Don't back up to far!
Posted By: Kyle46N

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/13/08 10:06 PM

It makes for a real pain in the rear tryiing to get up on the wall from a canoe!
Posted By: The Texas Alien

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/13/08 10:07 PM

Actually, SARA does not have anything to do with the water levels. City Public Service is in charge of that duty. Last year, it was a pump that failed. I have inquired to the powers that be as to what the problem is this time. Will let you know when they respond. It might be lowering to allow for some of the new construction.
Posted By: SportFisher63

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/13/08 10:12 PM

I was out there a few weeks ago and someone had to help my son push my deckboat off the trailer, I won't back up past the ramp line.

As I was loading, there was a pontoon at the dock and they said they ripped the back bumper and lights off their trailer.

Another guy thought he was going to have to call a tow truck. Be careful out there and I won't be back until the water comes up.

See ya on the water,
SportFisher
Posted By: Gonzo63

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/14/08 11:14 AM

I was one that had problems with a pontoon. I got there after dark and didn't realize how low the water level was. The trailer came off the ramp. We tried everything to pull it out. Here is what worked; We got on the boat and with a rope two of us pulled the trailer up as the truck pulled it out slowly. Came right out with no problem. The best thing there was no harm to the trailer.

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/14/08 01:37 PM

here is a response from SARA:

Earlier this week, we asked CPSE and were informed that the level is at their winter maintenance level.  Since it continues to cause problems on the lake and at the ramps, yesterday I asked that they consider raising the level, and they are considering that.  Meanwhile, SARA staff is informing boaters that the level is low and to be cautious at the ramps.  Hopefully we can get more water from Mother Nature (doubtful anytime soon), or CPSE will pump more water into the lake.

Dale

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/14/08 01:53 PM

Thanks Alien...Seems like you have become our go between. I inquired several years ago as to why the lake level was allowed to drop so low. The reply was "in anticipation of projected rain fall...flooding". If this annual drop of lake level is due to mechanical problems, etc, why does it always happen at this time of year ? I smell a rat !
Roger

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/14/08 02:22 PM

I seems that they would keep it at a safe level for the boat ramps or they should have made the deep water ramp longer. Not sure what their reasoning is, maybe they don't either.

See ya on the water (maybe),
SportFisher

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/14/08 06:09 PM

Agree completely with that. I remember them constructing the ramps when the lake was almost overflowing from rainfall
Posted By: TopCat Guide Service aka WhiskerRay

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/19/08 08:53 PM

The yellow line on the wall does not match the end of the ramp, even when that lake is full people back off, it is a short boat ramp to begin with. I actually had a guy pull my truck forward slow while i picked up the back end of the trailer, it came right out with no damage. Once your boat is locked off the end do not keep trying to pull it out. If there are a couple of people available it will be easier with one person on each side. Be careful please, my fiancee was about to go nuts when I went in but, I am not calling a tow truck and I knew I could pick it up enough.

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/19/08 09:08 PM

Reminds me of what happened to me........

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/19/08 09:31 PM

ouch...mine was luckily during the day...how in the hell did you find two people at 4am lol.

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/19/08 09:47 PM

Well it was a party of 4. OH! and by the way the camera was off it was actully 8:30pm. Still not fun!

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/19/08 10:06 PM

They have shut down the 'deep' water ramp completely. I have contacted CPS Energy and complained. This is ridiculous.

If you have time, contact them 'nicely' here and ask them to forward it to the appropriate authorities. They have a public Board Meeting at 2:30p on the 24th at the Navarro office. I will be there.

feedback@cpsenergy.com

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/19/08 10:11 PM

I sent SARA an email a few days ago and have yet to receive an answer. Guess the boat will stay in storage until the water comes up or I'll have to make a coast trip. PINS sure is looking pretty good right now.

See ya on the water,
SportFisher

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/19/08 10:16 PM

Good thing we have Don on our side!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I sent my e-mail Don.

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/20/08 05:55 AM

Email sent from here too. Thanks.

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/20/08 02:15 PM

Ha, that's my fathers truck in the back.

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/20/08 03:32 PM

It is obvious that the ramp has got to be fixed & it will be expensive. The only other alternative is to reduce the annual lake draw down. I don't understand "why" the lake has to drawn down to such a reduced level, but maybe they can come up with a better maintenance procedure. This ramp screw up could end up in litigation depending on how the contract was written.
Roger

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/20/08 05:18 PM

Here is the latest response from SARA.....They are trying, but have limited influence upon CPS.

The bull rock installed several months ago at the end of the north ramp has been pushed out about 15-20 feet by propwash, and has basically formed a gravel bar parallel to the end of the ramp and as shallow as about 12 inches below the current low lake level. We do have a contractor scheduled next week to come to the park to alleviate the problem, but until then the ramp will remain closed.

The other ramp is usable, but caution must be exercised as the low lake level has resulted in a wash-out condition at the end of the ramp in the area marked with the buoy. We plan to fill in that area soon.

Regarding the reasons for different water levels, it’s a bit complicated, but to our knowledge, the lower winter lake level is programmed by CPSE to help them meet annual water rights obligations and SA River flow commitments, plus help conserve electricity by not having to pump so much “make up” water from the river in the cooler months when the Calaveras Power Plants are not working as hard as in the warmer months.

We have expressed our concern about what seems to us to be lower than usual lake levels with the CPSE operations staff; perhaps you could voice your concern and get more information through contacting the CPSE Public Relations Dept.

Hope this information is helpful

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/20/08 10:11 PM

Here is the latest from CPS: First, My response with pictures....

Mr. Tieken,

Thank you for responding. We hope to see the lake level rising since you say the pump is running. I will be out there Friday to see.

This is the lowest we have ever seen the lake in four years. It is preventing fishermen from using the ramps which CPS paid for. I know we should pray for rain, but the annual permits for boats and fishing do not say that if it does not rain, we will not be able to use the lake ramps.

We do not understand your obligations to the other usages for the water downstream, but neither does the San Antonio River authority. That sounds strange since that is SARA's primary interest.

What we know, is that we were sold annual permits for a great fishery which CPS is not maintaining.

There is no way that this level is only one foot down from normal. I have fished this lake for years and I know what is showing is not that level.

Please continue to raise the lake to a level that will support the fishery and its paying users.

Thank you,

Don Gadberry

In a message dated 11/20/2008 6:13:56 P.M. Central Standard Time, GRTieken@CPSEnergy.com writes:

Mr. Gadberry,

I received your email and wanted to let you know that we are pumping water into Calaveras Lake at this time. However, the lake level will be maintained at our winter level which is 1’ lower than our summer level. The current summer/winter adjustment in lake levels is the result of an agreement with SARA, SAWS and CPSE to better manage lake levels and downstream river flows. The lake level will remain at the winter levels until March/April timeframe, unless we receive rainfall. If you have any additional questions, feel free to email or call me at 210-353-2158.

Thanks,

Gregg Tieken

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/20/08 11:44 PM

Very well written and gets to the point, they will tell you they are taking measurements from another "official" station. Bad combination with short ramps and lower than normal water levels.

Good luck with your efforts

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/21/08 12:14 PM

How come Braunig doesn't have this "low lake level" problem ? They both are operated by CPS, both are cooling lakes, get their water from the S.A. river ? I just don't get it..
Roger

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/21/08 01:26 PM

Thanks Don!!!!!

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/21/08 04:41 PM

We are getting some results. I think the Mayor will bring it up at the CPS Board meeting Monday. Citizen's input is not allowed at these meetings, but I wrote the Mayor (who is on the Board) and asked him to bring it up.

In the meantime, Sam has given us some hope...

Mr. Gadberry,

I understand that you are upset about the lake levels. I was not aware that the levels had gotten so low. I don't see lake levels on a regular basis. I heard from Dale Bransford last week and began inquiring about the lake levels. I am told that the pumps were down for some repairs, but are now working so the lake levels should be improving.

I wanted to send you the link below to the Texas Instream Flows Program. This effort is mandated by Senate Bill 2 in the 2001 legislature. The TPWD, TCEQ, and TWDB are required to set up a research design and determine the flow requirements to sustain the biota/ecosystem in all the river systems in the state. The Lower San Antonio basin is one of the first basins under study. The lower San Antonio basin is defined as the stream channel from 1604 south to the confluence with the Guadalupe River. There is a stakeholders group that meets every 2 months to help set up the study priorities and define the values important to area stakeholders. The SARA is one of the local sponsors. The next meeting is scheduled for Dec. 9 at the Floresville City Hall. The meeting will be from 8-4. You may be interested in attending.

Hope to see you there,

Sam Helmle

CPS Energy

The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments.

Shortcut to: http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/instreamflows/index.html

Posted By: Rleo50

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/23/08 12:44 AM

Prop washout is a real problem that needs to be addressed also. A fine should be imposed on boaters that feel they have to use their 100hp motors to move the boat an extra 6" instead of using the crank. I saw a guy literally blowing water up 10' in the air and it took him several "tries" before he was happy. And that was after the bull rock was placed. Whose attention should I bring this up to?
Posted By: docdonut

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/23/08 02:09 AM

I'll try this again...fingers did some wrong walking.

I noticed that when I launch my boat that the boat goes off the trailer in a more vertical angle than it usually does when the water is at normal pool. I have a roller-breakaway trailer which I first used in Minnesota where they have dirt ramps which are on deep water areas. I am afraid that launching my boat at the shallow ramp on Calaveras may result in my prop hitting the bottom of the ramp...it is really hard launching when the water is low...I have to push the boat off and it gets harder everyday. Last Tues I saw a guy trying to load his boat onto his trailer and he ended up ramming it, damaging the trailer guide-on and the lights...

I am emailing CPS per your suggestion....they nee to open that other ramp...Thanks for taking your time to help us all out with this situation...

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/23/08 12:35 PM

Any TFF'ers who are out there in the 181 cover, please take a look and report here or by PM whether the pump is running or not. Thank you.

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/24/08 07:09 PM

I drove by the 181 cove today and observed the water pump working. It looks like the lake is up a few inches.

Scott Smith of CPS, the one in charge of the lake and overseeing the park services, called me today about emails he had been receiving. He wanted to know the details about the problems we were encountering. A really nice fellow. He did not know anything about the ramp problems and promised to look into that and the lake level and get back with me.

Thanks, guys, for emailing and generating interest. It pays to be nice until they quit trying.

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/24/08 08:52 PM

Was just out there. They have replaced a few of the missing/broke boat ramp rubber sidings and the lake looked like it had come up a couple of inches but still severely low, Braunig the same.
Posted By: Mytus

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/24/08 09:54 PM

I called out to the office this afternoon...nice lady, but she seemed like she had answered the questions I had all day. She said that people are still launching and having a little difficulty at times...said that this happens every winter. I didn't get the impression that it was that big of problem from her... I'll be out there tomorrow morning...we'll see what happens.

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/25/08 05:25 PM

I think a lot has to do with the size of your rig & if you have T & T. My neighbor was driving his 23 footer on to his traier a couple of days ago & said he felt the prop hit bottom. Luckily no damage.
Roger
Posted By: Rleo50

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/25/08 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: The Texas Alien
Any TFF'ers who are out there in the 181 cover, please take a look and report here or by PM whether the pump is running or not. Thank you.

It was also running on Sunday.
Posted By: Mytus

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/26/08 12:50 PM

...was out yesterday. It's low...but I didn't have a problem launching or recovering. I have a smaller boat...but even the larger boats I saw launched went in no problem.

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/26/08 03:22 PM

Good news...I hope the lake rising a little helps everyone.

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/26/08 06:18 PM

Good work Don, thanks for the legwork.

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/29/08 01:28 AM

Have they opened the deep ramp yet? Any new reports on the water level?

Thanks,
SportFisher

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/29/08 12:48 PM

The north (deep) ramp is still closed. Hopefully, the lake is up a little, but that ramp needs some work before more trailers drop off the end.

CPS is totally involved now and after the holidays, I predict something will be done. Most of you know that CPS is going to release an RFP for a park service. Hopefully, the RFP will include some maintenance guarantees for the boaters and fishermen. I will ask to see the RFP or be a participant in its creation.

Posted By: tdwhite03

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/30/08 12:44 AM

Thanks for all the work on all of our behalfs Texas Alien!

I was out at the lake today with a buddy that has a 20' boat and we had no issue loading or unloading. The "deep" ramp is still closed.

Re: Calaveras low again - 11/30/08 05:14 AM

Thanks for the input. I drove out 181 Sat afternoon and the pump was running slowly.
Posted By: tdwhite03

Re: Calaveras low again - 01/10/09 06:42 AM

Was out at the lake yesterday and the North ramp is open again. Looks like the water level is almost back to normal.
Posted By: Southernboy

Re: Calaveras low again - 01/10/09 07:44 AM

Thanks fo the info. I'll be heading out there tomorrow.

Re: Calaveras low again - 01/10/09 08:09 PM

Out there on Thursday. The pump was running hard and the lake was about normal. Did not try the cove. Good luck.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum