Texas Fishing Forum

early spring conundrum...

Posted By: skeetmaster

early spring conundrum... - 03/16/23 11:42 AM

Early spring or late winter, whatever you want to call it. It's a tough time to consistently get on good fish. At least for me it is. I know there's plenty of guys out there that don't have a problem with it, but I'm not one of them!

I haven't been able to do as much fishing as I would like since the beginning of the year. Actually, I haven't been able to go hardly at all this year but I was able to get out for a few hours earlier in the week. I figured with the warmer water and a little bit of rain lately that I would find fish in shallow water. Wrong! Started off in 3 feet, not even a nibble. went out to about 10 feet, same result. Went to 20 and started marking pretty good fish. Nothing. Made my way out to my standard winter depth (35-40') and didn't mark a single fish. No bait. My graph looked like a lunar landscape but I only had about an hour of light left and decided to just drift in towards the ramp and bam! Rod goes down, 5 pounder. A few minutes later, rod goes down, 11 pounder. About ten minutes more, Another takedown, 20 pounder. After some head scratching, I decided to remove my graph and toss it in the lake. Well, you know, I didn't actually do it but, I did think about it! I guess I still have a lot to learn.

I only got one pic of the twenty.....

[Linked Image]

I'm eventually going to get these slimy, happiness-inducing, bulldozers of the deep figured out! I guess that's where all the fun lies. With all the stress life has been handing me this year, I'll take whatever I can get on the water. It's worth every minute, regardless of the results!

If you're struggling to get on fish, just keep in mind that just being able to get out and soak some baits is the real blessing!

Here are a some brutes from one of the few times I've been able to get on the water this year. I may have already posted these, I can't remember lol!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: early spring conundrum... - 03/16/23 01:04 PM

Oh yea!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: early spring conundrum... - 03/16/23 01:54 PM

Solid post and fish. Good job. thumb
Posted By: Rowdy

Re: early spring conundrum... - 03/16/23 02:58 PM

Man do I get the part of throwing the sonar in the lake lol. Great pix though and really nice fish. Great thread an read about your outing... Thanks for sharing with some of us that just wish we could get out on the water...
Posted By: Bluecat Bob

Re: early spring conundrum... - 03/16/23 06:41 PM

I don’t know what's worse, searching your favorite honey holes and seeing a blank graph, or spotting the fish all stacked up and then you can’t get a bite.

It’s the work of the debil!!

You are right though Geno, any day fishing on the water is a blessing!

Those are some nice fish in those pics.
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: early spring conundrum... - 03/19/23 01:29 PM

Geno, I feel your pain... This year has been a polar opposite of last winter. And now, the transition to spring has been schizophrenic. In true Texas fashion, the weather has not stayed consistent for more than a half hour and it looks like someone threw a scatter bomb in the water every time I've been out. The fact that it is 31 degrees outside as I type this is testament to the ups and downs we are facing right now, by Tuesday afternoon we will be in the 80s. The winds of March have been blowing hard and will continue to at least for the next week. As the seasons clash, we are suffering from high winds. When the temps get high we will be begging for some wind and we won't get any!

I think as we warm up this week I will look for that shallow bite again, winds forecast at 25 to 35 will keep me off the big water anyway so that's where I can fish, so that's where I will fish. Time of day though; Mornings and evenings or mid day? I think the warm afternoons up to and through sundown will be my target times.

Don't give up on the shallows Geno, those blues will be there eventually. And the prespawn feed bag is about to be put on so get out there and get some when you can!
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: early spring conundrum... - 03/21/23 11:34 PM

cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum