Texas Fishing Forum

I Was Impressed

Posted By: Laner

I Was Impressed - 12/23/22 04:05 PM

Back in the summertime, Ken Roberson of Power Crappie LLC: Home of Todd Huckabee Rods, asked me to test his catfish rods offshore, with a simple set of instructions: “Go try to break them.” I had plans to try them out against trophy amberjack, but as the feds issued an emergency closure of AJ season, I never got to fulfill my promise to Ken.

Fast forward to last week. Myself and about 20 other anglers went out a few hundred miles to battle yellowfin tuna, and I figured it would be a good opportunity to really test what these rods can handle, as I don’t know any other fish that will put a man in the dirt like a big tuna.

After spooling up a Quantum Cabo with 80lb braid, cranking the drag down tight, and tying on a Halco 130 lipless crankbait, I went for broke.

Allow me to say this: if this rod can handle 80-90lb yellowfin, it will flat out embarrass any catfish on this planet that tries to do battle. Too say I was impressed is an understatement.

Mr Roberson, you make a fine product sir.
www.toddhuckabeerods.com

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bluecat Bob

Re: I Was Impressed - 12/23/22 04:12 PM

Dang, that's a lot of sushi!!!

clap

Nice job and obviously that rod fared well. I cant imagine using a big spinning reel with that monster.
Posted By: Rowdy

Re: I Was Impressed - 12/23/22 05:34 PM

Looks like a really big time out by the rigs. I second "lots of sushi"!
Posted By: Drs1310

Re: I Was Impressed - 12/23/22 07:29 PM

Looks like the New Buccaneer? I retired from the tuna safaris after 1 rough trip but I think this spring I might unretire. Lot of fun when you get into them.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: I Was Impressed - 12/24/22 04:21 AM

thumb
Posted By: Laner

Re: I Was Impressed - 12/24/22 12:48 PM

Bluecat Bob, your assessment was spot on. After 20 minutes, I was definitely starting to feel it! Once I brought in a couple of fish with the red rod, I switched over to a much more appropriate tuna fighter, the 8ft Daiwa Proteus.
Posted By: pop r

Re: I Was Impressed - 12/24/22 02:14 PM

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum