Texas Fishing Forum

Squaw Creek Catfish Information.

Posted By: theduke

Squaw Creek Catfish Information. - 12/05/22 11:00 PM

I've never been on this lake and have plans on going Sunday to fish it for the first time. I will be targeting channel cat with my girls(5 and 9). My plan is to use punch bait I guess to fish it. My questions are what are your feelings about keeping and eating the fish. I also am looking for any assistance on target areas and is punch bait my best option or should I go catch some shad and put them on ice over night?
Posted By: Grasshopperglock

Re: Squaw Creek Catfish Information. - 12/05/22 11:08 PM

Earth worms, night crawlers.

As for eating them. The size you're going to catch. Juvenile aged, ~12"+. Make for fine eating. The older ones take on a lake taste. Not exactly mud. Similar to the smell of the water in which you caught them.

Catfish have a silver lining surrounding the gut pocket. Scrape it out.

Re: Squaw Creek Catfish Information. - 12/07/22 01:51 AM

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: SwampHunter

Re: Squaw Creek Catfish Information. - 12/07/22 09:54 PM

Send me a pm we caught 25 or so last month not trying to catch them 😂😂😂
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Squaw Creek Catfish Information. - 12/08/22 12:25 AM

Tie up to almost any standing timber, throw some chum out and fish for a bit, if they don't start biting move. Easy lake to catch catfish. Even from shore.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Squaw Creek Catfish Information. - 12/08/22 05:32 PM

Fun lake to take people fishing on. I would find timber in the 25-30' of water right now. Fish straight down with your choice of punch bait. Stumpy's/ Mr Whiskers/ Sure shot is what Ive been using (about all i can find locally)

Lots of fish and there no problem eating them. They are coming out of some of the cleanest water in the area.

Once you get them started its hard to get the bait down quick enough..
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Squaw Creek Catfish Information. - 12/09/22 03:14 AM

The fish on Squaw are tested regularly, so it is probably one of the safest places to eat fish. I have eaten tilapia from the lake for years. Catfish and drum have been good on earthworms.

Re: Squaw Creek Catfish Information. - 12/09/22 10:38 PM

you guys are the best, we'll give'em hell Sunday.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum